Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MBNA enhances WorldPoints Program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2005, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
MBNA enhances WorldPoints Program

With my most recent statement MBNA sent a change in terms & conditions for the WorldPoints program. THey have decided once again to enhance the program. The Terms & conditions read:

Summary: We are increasing the number of points needed for most international air travel. We are also decreasing the maximum dolalr value for the highest international air category. There is no change to the redemption requirements for travel within the continental United States or to Canada, Mexico or Puerto Rico.
Program Change: Effective for all points redeemed on or after December 31, 2005.
Basic Air Rewards: The number of points and corresponding maximum dollar value (MDV) required for coach-class Basic Air Rewards from the 48 states are:
  • Alaska, Hawaii, the carribbean, the Bahamas, or Bermuda: 45,000/$600
  • Europe: 60,000/$800
  • Central or South America, Asia, Africa, or the South Pacific: 85,000/$1,150
FlexAir Rewards: The number of points and correspond MDV required for coach-class FlexAir rewards from the 48 states are:
  • Alaska, Hawaaii, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, or Bermuda: 45,000/$450
  • Europe: 60,000/$600
  • Central or South America, Asia, Africa, or the South Pacific: 85,000/$850

Once again, MBNA has devalued the program and I can only wait until Bank of America takes over and the program becomes even more diluted and suddenly an annual fee probably will appear since Bank of America loves to nickle & dime their customers while offering completely uncompetitive credit cards.

JC
Old Oct 4, 2005, 7:21 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Do we have an indication that B of A is going to take this over?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1P, AA Plat
I believe BOA bought MBNA a while back. At least that is what a MBNA employee friend said, I thought...
Old Oct 7, 2005, 1:15 am

BofA is buying MBNA, but the legal day 1 probably won't be until 1/1/2006.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 1:02 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
I got the same notice. How disappointing! Which credit card(s) has a similar program to the current MBNA one? It's time to switch.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 4:25 am

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by Joe1690
With my most recent statement MBNA sent a change in terms & conditions for the WorldPoints program. THey have decided once again to enhance the program. The Terms & conditions read:

Summary: We are increasing the number of points needed for most international air travel. We are also decreasing the maximum dolalr value for the highest international air category.JC
I looked here because the subject line said MBNA was "enhancing" its program. Figuring whatever the program offered, it was about to get better, I read what you posted. I see that whatever the program is/was, it ain't getting better. So unless after dis-enhancement it is still a fantastic offer, I will not bother to familiarize myself with the promo.

(I would add that based on a personal experience with a university alumni affinity card issued by MBNA, I regard MBNA as pretty snakey, but I'm not sure all the credit card issuers do not qualify as snakey, and MBNA is getting out of the business anyway.)
Old Oct 12, 2005, 7:06 am
DH

Originally Posted by itsme
(I would add that based on a personal experience with a university alumni affinity card issued by MBNA, I regard MBNA as pretty snakey, but I'm not sure all the credit card issuers do not qualify as snakey, and MBNA is getting out of the business anyway.)
It's not getting of out biz; B of A bought it.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 9:57 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
I do not look forward to the Day BoA takes over MBNA as Now you are going to have only the big 3 BoA,Citi,Chase, with some others that are less acceptable.
-UFFA
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:47 am

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Thumbs down Update

-bump-
It's officlal ~ MBNAs online processes were assimilated by BoA yesterday (10/23) ... and the new site's FUBAR.

Hold times of 15+, and CS can't tell you squat. Guess it's not a big surprise.

Time to go card-shopping.
/.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok im frustrated. i have my mother's MBNA registered on mbnanetaccess because i pay it for her, but it doesnt show in my BOA online banking account.

mbnanetaccess is gone.

this is ridiculous. im going to the branch now.

edit - they said the process could take a week or more ("should be done by end of week") to COMPLETE the merge. so i should see her account (im also an additional cardholder on it) in online banking soon. my payment options before then are branch, phone, mail. was handled fine in branch, although their information security policies could use some work.

even if you are not a BOA account holder, it might be good to go into a branch for CS. because its an inhouse call now if they talk to the MBNA people. i dont want to think about how the call would have gone if i called MBNA

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 24, 2006 at 9:33 am
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Diners Club, Citi Chairman, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, SPG Gold, Marriott Slvr
Originally Posted by itsme
I looked here because the subject line said MBNA was "enhancing" its program. Figuring whatever the program offered, it was about to get better, I read what you posted. I see that whatever the program is/was, it ain't getting better. So unless after dis-enhancement it is still a fantastic offer, I will not bother to familiarize myself with the promo.

Whenever something is "enhanced", it is usually from the perspective of the service provider, not the customer. It just sounds better than "we are changing the program to make more money off of you and give you less...enjoy..."
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as a BOA account holder, i consider the merger an enhancement that is a positive thing.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
as a BOA account holder, i consider the merger an enhancement that is a positive thing.
Do you perhaps mean that as a stockholder you think it is a good thing, because now they face less competition and can leech even more money out of hard-working people?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what? im not a stockholder. im an account holder. i have an account there.

even though i cant see my mother's card yet, they said it should come through, and if i was going to keep my MBNA card it would be great having it in my BOA online account.

my point is for people with BOA accounts, this is a good thing, but i cant say the same for people with only MBNA accounts. it probably sucks for them.
(for having to create a BOA online account and getting hit with BOA advertising all the time when they dont want a BOA account)
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:43 pm
21A

http://www.ibsnetaccess.com should still work for MBNA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.