Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:12 pm

I had a family member ask what a good credit card for traveling abroad is. I consider a good card to have three main features: no foreign transaction fees, has a chip and primary collision damage coverage. I stumbled across the Merrill Lynch + when doing some research on this and it seems like an excellent card for that use. This person has no use for points really although they may use the Delta discounts. As a bonus, this is really the only type of card that has no annual fee. Is there anything I'm missing here? Looks like primary coverage outside of your country of residence from what I've read. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tys90
Looks like primary coverage outside of your country of residence from what I've read.
Any credit card which offers CDW coverage becomes primary if it provides any coverage outside the USA, because the cardholder's personal auto insurance isn't valid outside the country.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Any credit card which offers CDW coverage becomes primary if it provides any coverage outside the USA, because the cardholder's personal auto insurance isn't valid outside the country.
Ah, so it's not necessarily considered Primary, like the Sapphire Preferred is now. Still seems like a fairly good option for a no fee card to use abroad.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:45 pm

Emergency Evacuation Insurance

I think the Emergency Evacuation Insurance is also unique for a no annual fee card and important to someone traveling internationally. This is from the website:

What are these benefits?
Emergency Evacuation and Transportation/Repatriation of Remains Coverage provides reimbursement for expenses not paid by other coverage if you require Emergency Evacuation and Transportation or Repatriation of Remains while on a Trip purchased entirely with your card.
• Emergency Evacuation and Transportation benefit limit: up to one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000.00)
• Repatriation of Remains benefit limit: up to one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) Please Note: These benefits are supplemental to and excess of any valid and collectible insurance or other reimbursement. Note that coverage is secondary to any existing health and/or dental coverage the Eligible Person may have, including workers compensation and disability benefits whether or not provided by law.
Who is eligible for these benefits?
You and your Immediate Family Members are eligible if you are the valid cardholder of an eligible, U.S.-issued card and charge your Trip using the card.
What is the Emergency Evacuation benefit?
When you charge a Trip via a Common Carrier — the duration of which is not less than five (5) days and does not exceed sixty (60) days and is in excess of one hundred (100) miles* from your Residence — with your eligible card, you will be reimbursed for covered expenses not paid or payable by your medical insurance or other reimbursement if any injury or illness occurring during your Trip results in a necessary Emergency Evacuation, subject to the maximum benefit limit.
Emergency Evacuation means:
a) Your medical condition warrants immediate transportation from the place where you are injured or sick to the nearest Hospital where appropriate medical treatment can be obtained; or
b) After treatment at a local Hospital, your medical condition warrants transportation to your Residence for further medical treatment or recovery; or
c) Both (a) and (b) above
What is Emergency Evacuation and Transportation/ Repatriation of Remains Coverage?
Benefit Information:
The evacuation must be pre-approved by the Benefit Administrator in consultation with a legally licensed Physician who certifies that the severity of the injury or sickness warrants Emergency Evacuation. The Benefit Administrator must also make the actual medical transportation arrangements.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:33 pm

I've had this card since 2003, but haven't used it really ever. We use CSP and our AmEx Blue Preferred.

This cad still has zero foreign transaction fees, right? Thnkng of using it for a hotel package in Paris that they offer.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:06 am

Merrill+ 2015

Has anyone heard any changes or updates to the 2015 program? The website is much more basic and just offers links to open the program brochures to describe benefits.

I just called and the agent confirmed the complimentary airline lounge access benefit will still apply in 2015 as a Plus Level benefit after spending $50,000.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 1:18 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
no 2015 update yet? I keep this card in my drawer now..
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:33 am
mia

2015 Benefits and Reward Guide has finally appeared in a cumbersome Flash format (URL name suggests there is an underlying PDF file):

https://www.card.ml.com/RWDapp/ns/ho...4&totalPage=44

I see no mention of transferring points to BAEC, but have not yet called to ask.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia
2015 Benefits and Reward Guide has finally appeared in a cumbersome Flash format (URL name suggests there is an underlying PDF file):

https://www.card.ml.com/RWDapp/ns/ho...4&totalPage=44

I see no mention of transferring points to BAEC, but have not yet called to ask.
Thanks for posting, mia!

Ugh, yeah, I've been trying to find a PDF version of this... Unsuccessfully.

Had this card since they introduced it (I think, back in 2003). I really miss the 4 free nights at Ritz that you'd get when hitting the $50k spending threshold.

I'm not seeing the incentive to spend $50k on this card anymore, sadly. Delta Lounge access? Get that with Amex Plat and/or Delta Reserve. Hertz discounts? Already get those via other means.

*sigh*

Still, good for a free / no annual fee card... Just not as good to spend on as it used to be.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:27 pm
mia

Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Ugh, yeah, I've been trying to find a PDF version of this... Unsuccessfully.
Printed copy arrived over the weekend.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Printed copy arrived over the weekend.
Oh! Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an eye out for this.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Do you need to have a Merrill Lynch account to apply for the Merrill Plus Visa Signature card? I also can't find it listed on BOA's site. Does anyone have a working link?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:12 pm
mia

Transferred Merrill+ points to BA Avois even though I can no longer find this reward mentioned. The CSR had not heard of it, but found someone who showed her how to do it. Took longer than I would like, but less than a week to complete transfer.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:40 pm

For the 2015 version of the card. Are points still transferrable to Delta and British Airways on a 1 to 1 basis?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:43 pm
mia

To my knowledge Merrill+ points have never been transferable to Delta. They are still transferable to British Airways (5000:5000) as reported in my post date June 30, 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.