Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
LHW benefits posted on Merrill website

Just wanted to give a heads up to the new LHW program that is suppose to replace the Ritz Carlton free night program.

https://www.card.ml.com/MLRewardsCen...ing+Hotels.htm

Apparently there will not be "free night vouchers" anymore, but rather discounts. It certainly does not have the same appeal as the Ritz Carlton program, but probably better program availablility.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: AA GLD; UA 2P; HHonors GLD; SPG
Originally Posted by Kyle53719
Just wanted to give a heads up to the new LHW program that is suppose to replace the Ritz Carlton free night program.

Apparently there will not be "free night vouchers" anymore, but rather discounts. It certainly does not have the same appeal as the Ritz Carlton program, but probably better program availablility.
This is horrible. I do hope Merrill brings a better deal the following year, perhaps with the W Hotels, because a 12% discount is nowhere near as strong of an incentive to become a "3+" member when compared to free nights at the Ritz. I was planning on moving a significant portion of charges over, but don't see anymore reason to do so now.

I think at the very least, 2+ members should be offered a higher discount rate.

Last edited by FlyingToFly; Oct 19, 2005 at 12:20 am
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

THIS IS A JOKE! Not what I was expecting after my conversation with ML+ Rewards last week. What incentive do we now have to spend over $50k with them? I don't think any of the cards users will be happy with this. I would rather have problems redeeming Ritz vouchers than get nothing! (I didn't have any problems redeeming them but I read others did.) Ritz vouchers was the only reason I got this card and charged over $50k on them this year. A big thanks to those that made such a big deal about having problems using their vouchers....now we won't have to worry about that!

Looks like 2006 will be the worst year of credit card benefits for me with this change and the loss of US Airways from AMEX MR. I have been eyeing the Diners Club benefits for a while and with this change I will be moving my non-AMEX business over to them. Just hope and pray SPG AMEX doesn't start messing with their benefits.

Last edited by christianj; Oct 19, 2005 at 10:04 am
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
It is certainly a drop in benefits, but remember that this card is fee-free. In my opinion, this card is probably the best fee-free Visa card available in the market today. Four free nights when spending 50,000 per year was a huge benefit, and--how unfortunate it may be--I'm not surprised that it was pulled. I was hoping that they would have offered a hotel benefit along the lines of some major chain (e.g. Hilton, Starwood, Four Seasons, etc). Hilton and Starwood do have a handful of premium hotels, and would offer cardholders better availability when redeeming free nights. LHW definitely has more availability than Ritz Carlton, but are more spread around the world than in the United States. But, I'll definitely have to agree that the new LHW program does not come close to compensating for the Ritz program.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:20 pm

I just ordered my 4 Ritz Carlton certificates today. I was told their expiration dates are 12/31/2006; and that these certificates won't be available any more when they run out of them. I will definately not use this credit card anymore. IMHO, Amex SPG and Citi PremierePass are better value.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:08 pm

No surprise, but the Ritz free nights certificates has been officially removed from the Merrill+ benefits website, but still exist in the benefit's details page. The new LHW program was posted earlier last month, but then inadventantly removed.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 2:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Curious what you mean by officially removed from the Merrill+ benefits website? It has not been listed on this page for several months, but as you mentioned is still in the View Full Benefits link. This is the first time I noticed that they specifically excluded stays at the The Ritz-Carlton NY Central Park, and indicated that "The Ritz-Carlton NY Battery Park has limited availability." I suppose they will deemphasize but not officially withdraw the offer until the end of the calendar year.

<< new LHW program was posted earlier last month, but then inadvertantly removed.>>

The page you found previously seemed to be an unfinished draft. Maybe they are still editing.

dennis
Old Nov 5, 2005, 3:16 pm

The Ritz benefit was reposted on the regular benefits page a few months ago. I guess I used the word "officially" to liberally. But, yes, the Ritz benefit is still listed on the Full Benefits page. My question is, are they still honoring existing cardmembers that are redeeming for the Ritz certificates after 11/1/05?
Old Nov 11, 2005, 9:27 am

The Ritz benefit was reposted on the regular benefits page a few months ago. I guess I used the word "officially" to liberally. But, yes, the Ritz benefit is still listed on the Full Benefits page. My question is, are they still honoring existing cardmembers that are redeeming for the Ritz certificates after 11/1/05?
The page has been changed, Merrill certs will not be granted starting Jan 1st. LHW program details have been officially posted there too:

CHANGES TO THE RITZ-CARLTON BENEFITS:

Effective January 1, 2006, MERRILL +2 and +3 cardholders will no longer earn the complementary 1-night certificates.
Cardholders that earn the certificates before December 31, 2005 will be entitled to the certificates and can make reservations to stay at participating Ritz-Carlton hotel properties through the end of 2006. (Some cardholders may have certificates with expiration dates prior to the end of 2006 depending on when they earned and redeemed for these certificates).

The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd.®
2005 Benefits
All MERRILL+ cardholders

MERRILL+:

Merrill Lynch Special Rate - 12% savings on nightly rate.
One More Night - Stay three consecutive nights and receive the fourth night free.
Breakfast Inclusive - 20% savings on nightly rate plus daily breakfast for two
Leader’s Circle - 10% savings on nightly rate plus a $50 in-house credit that may be applied to any service provided by the hotel with the exception of accommodations.
NOTE: Maximum $100 in-house credit per stay.
MERRILL+2

Three for Two - Stay two consecutive nights and receive the third night free.
MERRILL+3:

Leaders Club Annual Membership: As a MERRILL+3 cardholder you are invited to enjoy Leaders Club Membership while staying at Leading Hotels, compliments of The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd. and Merrill Lynch. Leaders Club Membership privileges include:
A room upgrade, based on availability at check in.
Early check-in and late check-out, based on availability.
A unique welcome gift from the hotel upon arrival.
Terms:
Special Rates and Packages

Offer expires on 12/31/06.
To receive special rates and packages benefits and other special offers when staying at Leading Hotels, cardholders must make reservations with a Merrill Travel Advisor at 1-800-782-8388.
Advance reservations are required.
Offers are valid at participating hotels and subject to availability.
Restrictions may apply.
Special rates and packages may not be combined with other special rates and packages.
Offers will not be available for existing reservations or when booking directly with the hotels or their website.
Visit card.ml.com to view offers and hotels participating in the Merrill Lynch program.
For questions or changes regarding reservations made online, please call the Leading Hotels Reservations Center at 1-800-225-5549.
Terms:
Leaders Club Annual Privileges

Memberships are limited and will be distributed based upon availability.
Offer expires on 12/31/06.
Leaders Club benefits such as upgrades and early check-in and late checkout are based upon availability at the time of stay and cannot be arranged prior.
To receive Leaders Club benefits and other special offers when staying at Leading Hotels, cardholders must make reservations with a Merrill Travel Advisor at 1-800-782-8388.
Offers are not valid when reservations made directly with the hotel.
After the complimentary 12-month membership expires, customers must meet the minimum stay quota of two reservations per year.
The Leading Hotels of the World, Ltd. reserves the right to change Leaders Club program requirements at any time.
For assistance with Leaders Club privileges and memberships, please call 1-800-650-2582.

By reading this it would seem all of us that are already Level 3 this year should get the Leaders Club right away?

https://card.ml.com/MLRewardsCenter/....htm#M_Leading
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:38 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
anyone has problem logging in rewards.ml.com? I can't log in for the whole day..
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:33 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Originally Posted by ls
anyone has problem logging in rewards.ml.com? I can't log in for the whole day..
Same here. I wasn't able to log in for the past month. I kept getting the "system being upgrade, check back later" message. I emailed them, heard nothing. I called, and they said the system is begin upgraded, no ETA.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:33 pm

Just got a physical mailing from Merrill+ today.

Ritz gone.

New benefits at Level 3+:
Annual Membership to American Airlines Admirals Club OR Delta Crown Room Club

Leading hotels of the world, 3 nights for the price of 2
Relais and Chateaux, 3 nights for the price of 2

Ritz loss sucks, but the admirals/crown membership is nice.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 5:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My letter mentions Ritz-Carlton and Leading Hotels of the World, but nothing about Relais and Chateaux or airline clubs. Perhaps this is because I have not spent enough to advance beyond the basic level.

dennis
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by mia
My letter mentions Ritz-Carlton and Leading Hotels of the World, but nothing about Relais and Chateaux or airline clubs. Perhaps this is because I have not spent enough to advance beyond the basic level.
Same here, even though I'm +2.

For my 20K spend this year I got 1 night at the Ritz, status match on AA thru 2006, and an iPod Nano. Pretty darn good.

I'm still using it, but only for foreign currency transactions since it doesn't charge 3% like Citi or other MBNA cards as far as I know (and 2% for Amex).

I may not do real spending on it until late 2006, see if status match on AA for 2007 would be worth it. Losing Ritz is a big blow.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:40 pm

Bsrdr

I also received the letter saying we get the benefit from Relais & Chateaux, but the ML travel advisor said NO. And also the ML benefit consultant said NO too. Please help. Unfortunately I threw out the letter in the garbage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.