Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Limit on using World Master Card rental car accident insurance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Recently I was driving a rental car and was hit: another driver changed lanes and sideswiped my rented car. I'm paying the rental car company myself (as I received a bill for the damage).

I understand (based on what the rental car agent told me and what I have found online) that I am not at fault, since the driver who did an "unsafe lane change" and sideswiped me is pretty much automatically at fault.

I'm trying to decide between following up to submit the claim to my World Master Card rental car accident protection benefit coverage OR suing the other driver in small claims court. The repairs that I'm paying for are smaller than I expected (total of under $1200), but I'm concerned that at some point I'll have a bigger accident.

Does World Master Card limit rental car accident coverage if someone submits too many claims, or if someone submits more than a certain number of claims in a specified period? I've only had 2 accidents in 30 years, and both involved people running into me in slow traffic, but I need to plan for something worse happening.

Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Why would you need to sue the other driver? Is their insurance not taking responsibility? What state was this in?

I wouldn't pay anything yet...that will cause problems if the car rental co. is charging above accepted reimbursements.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. This all occurred in New Jersey.

I dont want the rental car company to view me as a problem customer, as I rent cars from it maybe 20 times a year, and I dont want a delinquent debt reported, affecting my credit score. So Id like to settle up and get the rental car company paid ASAP.

I also dont want a $1200 claim to reduce my coverage in the future from World MasterCard.

The other driver has Geico insurance, which I understand often wont pay unless it loses in court.

So Im considering suing the other driver in small claims court, getting repaid that way and letting the other driver deal with the other drivers insurance company.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IANAL but if yo sue the other driver, wouldn't their insurance company cover them by sending the insurance company's own lawyers, etc.? In other words, wouldn't you still be dealing with Geico yourself, and not even having your own insurance deal with it for you?
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I’ve only used my rental car coverage once, and it was with a Visa card, but my experience was that I paid the rental car company for the damage upon return of the vehicle and then I filed an insurance claim with the credit cards claims company. I received a check from the CC insurance company reimbursing me for what I paid out about 4 weeks later. This worked out great for me because I essentially got $3000 of spend on my credit card in a travel category.

I would assume it would be the same with Mastercard.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:19 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Please follow discussion in National Car Rental forum:

Hit (not at fault) while driving rented National car: next steps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.