Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Verified by Visa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:28 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by RoamingGeek
I am using the Alaska Airlines Bank of America Card and keep running to this issue when travelling. I am using a sim in Thailand (Because ATT is crazy expensive compared to True) but when I try and make an online credit card purchase I get halted at the Verified by Visa screen because they only give me the option to send me a text message to my US number rather than email or an app verification.
So then I have to pop out my sim (which means my IP changes and cancels my transaction) put in my ATT sim, pay ATT $10 +the cost of the text message to get the stupid verification message to make a transaction.
I have been on the phone with Bank of America numerous times trying to get some other way to get through the Verified by Visa screen but have had lots of promises for the next time I try but nothing ever changes.
Is there any way of getting around this or getting my email added to the options?
I travel with a google fi phone and before I leave I go on line and change my phone number in my bank profile to that number. Then when I return I change it back. It seems to work although over all my cards I probably have only had one text in three years.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:42 pm

call in and "preapprove" all transactions thru VerifiedByVisa (looks like the approval expires after a few days)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31308624-post8.html

similar case for other cards,
eg chase sapphire, call-in to retrieve VbV pin # https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23207882-post6.html

PAYG AT&T int'l, should be $0.50 to receive a text

all I can suggest is either use an AT&T phone with wifi calling (so you can receive text for free, but you still have to juggle the transaction isssue), use a dualsim phone (still need to pay for receiving AT&T text)

verizon has an app "Verizon My Numbers" that allows any device to receive text message/calls even if phone is off. AT&T has a similar app "AT&T message", but it doesn't work as well (need a supported AT&T phone, turned on in order to forward/sync received messages to app)
Old Dec 25, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: AS - MVP Gold, Bonvoy - Silver, Star Citizen - Concierge
Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a shot for my next trip. I have been looking into Google fi but it only supports 2g in Alaska but still might be useful if I can turn on and off the service at will.

I also really appreciate the thread links too 😁

Last edited by mia; Dec 25, 2019 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
An update in case anyone else having the same situation where you don't get the option to receive SMS for verification.
I was using a google voice number and then I didn't get the option to receive a SMS, even thought SMS works for other BoA logins etc.
I added my T-Mobile number to BoA and now I get the option to receive SMS verification messages

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.