Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Getting SPG card first B/4 Chase Trifecta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Travel Card Dilemna - Advice Needed

Greetings

I am thinking about picking up the hobby of reward points mining as my credit score and total debt are where they need to be. Currently my FICO 8 score is 714 and have an 11% utilization ratio. I have 5 hard pulls on my Experian report: 2 auto loans (shopping), 2 personal loans (shopping) and 1 credit card (Amazon) but the credit card is going off of my report on 11/11/2018.

I am currently using my Delta Plat Sky Miles card for everyday as the rest of my cards are just residents of my sock drawer. I currently have 27,000 miles on my account and a balance of $0. I recently got promoted this year and would like to travel more. Maybe 2-3 times a year.

I think over time I would like the Chase trifects of the Saphire, Freedom, and Freedom unlimited for max value and flexibility of points. I also want to get the AMEX SPG card as when I do go away I like to stay at one of their branded hotels.

With the AMEX Sky Miles card I get a free companion ticket each year which I have not used. I am thinking of applying for the AMEX SPG card and get the signing bonus then pair my current mileage and SPG bonus to go away using points to either cover or reduce the costs. That is the short game. Long game is to switch to the Chase UR program as United usually has good deals and you can transfer UR to SPG. I get the three cards over a span of 9 months but not sure what card to get first or even if I should get the SPG card first, or at all. Also I have been looking at the Citi Prestige card as every fourth night is free compared to the fifth with SPG.

If anyone can give me pointers or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated! Which card would you get first or do you have another combo that works?

Thanks again!

Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
You don’t mention the Chase 5/24 rule, google that if you aren’t aware of it. Because of that rule, the usual recommendation is to get all the Chase cards you want first. But if you want the SPG Luxury card, I understand the appeal of getting it while the higher bonus is in effect. There are numerous blog posts with recommendations on how to build a portfolio of cards you could look at. Personally, I’d get the Sapphire Reserve first, since it is probably toughest to be approved for, and is quite useful all by itself.

one last thing—if you order from Amazon regularly, or are a Prime member and shop at Whole Foods, the Chase Amazon card is a pretty good one to have. I wouldn’t be in a rush to cancel it unless you really don’t expect to use it. If you mean the Amazon store card, it is more expendable, though look at the effect on your credit utilization cancelling it would have.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:40 pm

I heard that you can generally product change chase products to the base chase cards. So you cannot product change a Marriott card to a Hyatt. However, you can change a Marriott to a Freedom or Freedom unlimited for example. That way you keep the credit history intact. I might be wrong, just heard this once.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

I want to add those cards to wallet soon but not sure where to start. The only thing stopping me from going CSR first is the current sign up bonus for the SPG Amex. SPG points are super valuable and I’m planning on going away in April. I already have Delta miles to cover my airfare but after I use my miles is when I’ll use UR. Not sure if getting the SPG card first makes sense though.

Have 0 opened credit cards past 24 months

714 Fico 8 but next update it’ll be higher as I bought my UT% from 42% to 5% and paid off one loan. Current student loans are at $160k and in forbearance.

My yearly income is $80k

Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:10 pm

I find UR points that not valuable, after Korean is not a transfer partner. They don't have other unique partners. People say Hyatt but Hyatt points aren't as valuable as airline miles.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:14 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Michael Trezza

I want to add those cards to wallet soon but not sure where to start. The only thing stopping me from going CSR first is the current sign up bonus for the SPG Amex. SPG points are super valuable and I’m planning on going away in April. I already have Delta miles to cover my airfare but after I use my miles is when I’ll use UR. Not sure if getting the SPG card first makes sense though.

Have 0 opened credit cards past 24 months

714 Fico 8 but next update it’ll be higher as I bought my UT% from 42% to 5% and paid off one loan. Current student loans are at $160k and in forbearance.

My yearly income is $80k
I always apply Chase CCs first since they are harder to crack. But with your credit profile, Chase will probably only give you one card. Chase Marriott card is pretty much the same as AmEx SPG card.

If you just start, I'd advise to get either Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card. AmEx SPG is easier to get. Good luck.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

That’s why I was leaning towards the SPG card. I stay at their properties often and the transfer to airline bonus is very nice. From what I read the UR are flexible which is why people like them.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I find UR points that not valuable, after Korean is not a transfer partner. They don't have other unique partners. People say Hyatt but Hyatt points aren't as valuable as airline miles.
I'd be happy to trade my airline points with you for Hyatt points. I get AA, United, Southwest, Delta and may be more.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSun
I always apply Chase CCs first since they are harder to crack. But with your credit profile, Chase will probably only give you one card. Chase Marriott card is pretty much the same as AmEx SPG card.

If you just start, I'd advise to get either Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card. AmEx SPG is easier to get. Good luck.
Im going to look at that one, thanks. The approval odds scare me because of my student loan debt. So I was thinking of getting my score up to 740 then applying.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:19 pm
Suspended

That’s why I was leaning towards the SPG card. I stay at their properties often and the transfer to airline bonus is very nice. From what I read the UR are flexible which is why people like them.
Not sure if you know. SPG is now part of Marriott. Both personal Marriott and SPG cards are almost identical. SPG transfer to airline has been watered down. You get some readings to do, my friend.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

a lot of reading indeed. Does SPG points transfer to Mariott at a rate of 3:1? That’s why I was leaning towards the SPG card then transferring if need be.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:42 pm
Suspended

a lot of reading indeed. Does SPG points transfer to Mariott at a rate of 3:1? That’s why I was leaning towards the SPG card then transferring if need be.
No, as I said, SPG = Marriott now. Same program. Both Chase and AmEx issue about the same cards.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:12 pm

I'd be happy to trade my airline points with you for Hyatt points. I get AA, United, Southwest, Delta and may be more.
Unfortunately I prefer different points: JL, AS
SPG allowed using non-US airlines where redemption values were marvelous
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Two threads started by the same poster a few days apart have been combined to provide context and continuity. Please read from the beginning.

....transfer to airline bonus is very nice. ....
This too has changed. The spend requirement, ignoring bonus categories, has increased by 50%:

Previously:
$20,000 = 20,000 Starpoints = 25,000 airline miles (most partners)

Now:
$30,000 = 60,000 Points = 25,000 airline miles (more partners)
RedSun likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Unfortunately I prefer different points: JL, AS
SPG allowed using non-US airlines where redemption values were marvelous
AS is an AmEx transfer partner? Not sure about JL...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.