Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Uber credit card (revamped October 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
See post 76 for a summary of changes announced October 2019.

Application: https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...8&cellNumber=2

FAQ: https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...ForwardUrl#q34
Print Wikipost

Barclays Uber credit card (revamped October 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Why would someone want that card, except for the sign up bonus and PIN??

It's basically a 2% cash back card with an $89 AF.

If PIN was really that big of an issue, Americans would have PIN preferring cards.
The card's free for the first year. After 12 months, call to cancel it and they might even offer to downgrade you to the no-free Arrival. If not, Barclaycard is supposedly friendly to churners (or was last I remember, anyway, which was a while ago) so you can sign up again in a few months or whenever you're about to travel overseas next. It's a simple enough formula for a non-churner with reasonable credit to follow.

Also, people aren't worried about manned terminals--they're worried about the unmanned ones.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:05 pm

Uber launches a credit card

Small bonus ($100 credit with $500 spending), but 4% back on dining and 3% on airfare/hotel is surprisingly generous for no annual fee card and no foreign txn fee.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/25/ub...a-credit-card/

Last edited by sedubby; Oct 25, 2017 at 1:37 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Assume it has FTF?

If the customer service experience is anything like the one trying to deal with Uber problems and issues, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:02 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Assume it has FTF?

If the customer service experience is anything like the one trying to deal with Uber problems and issues, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!
No FTF.

Agreed that Uber customer service has become atrocious, but for the card CS will be through Barclaycard... though no comment on whether that is better than Uber CS ;-)
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Isn't Barclay USA against adding to mobile Pays?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Isn't Barclay USA against adding to mobile Pays?
They support Apple Pay but not Android Pay or Samsung Pay.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
They support Apple Pay but not Android Pay or Samsung Pay.
Does me no good in that case.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sedubby
Small bonus ($100 credit with $500 spending), but 4% back on dining and 3% on airfare/hotel is surprisingly generous for no annual fee card and no foreign txn fee.

It's fairly difficult to MS travel/dining spend, I'd think. Plus maybe their customer base doesn't travel enough (despite maybe using Uber often) to make Barclays lose money from that?

Interestingly, UberEATS gives the 4% while Uber itself is only 2% per the link. I'd have expected that all Uber services would have one earn rate.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
It's fairly difficult to MS travel/dining spend, I'd think. Plus maybe their customer base doesn't travel enough (despite maybe using Uber often) to make Barclays lose money from that?

Interestingly, UberEATS gives the 4% while Uber itself is only 2% per the link. I'd have expected that all Uber services would have one earn rate.
The cobrand business is all very custom so unclear who makes what and who pays for what (Barclays or Uber) when credit card holders spend on this card. My guess is that Uber is sacrificing a bit more somewhere than other cobrand partners to offer this level of cash back to win customers who are indifferent to Lyft/Uber to use Uber exclusively. The largest value to Uber is almost definitely the transactional data they get on what cardholders spend and where. For Uber, knowing where you eat out and travel to is hugely valuable to both Uber and UberEATS business lines and can help with marketing, BD, growth, competitive intel, recommendations, etc etc.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:04 am

Do we know if this card is subject to the Chase 5/24 rule? Not ALL cards are, for instance the Chase IHG card isn't.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by Kcrachael1
Do we know if this card is subject to the Chase 5/24 rule? Not ALL cards are, for instance the Chase IHG card isn't.
This card will be issued by Barclays, not by Chase. It will not be subject to any Chase policy, but if you open an Uber credit card it will be reported to credit bureaus, same as any other personal account, Chase will see it, and it will count against your "5" accounts opened in the last 24 months, as would an IHG personal card.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw

Does UberEats code differently from Uber? I was under impression that it codes as Uber (taxicabs/limousines), and I received travel credit for that from my USB AR and CSR cards.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sedubby

Agreed. 4% at restaurants/bars? Well that's fantastic, better than SPG Amex imo (which is my go to card). 3% airfare/hotel/AirBnB? That's also very very good. In fact, I'd have to think long and hard between SPG Amex and Uber Visa at 3%. I'd say SPG Amex is 2.7 cents per on avg - although I do get 3.3-3.5 at times.

Amazingly, only 2% on Uber itself. #epicfail
With no FTF or annual fees, this could easily become my backup card and primary for restaurants, airlines and boutique hotels. And if Marriott drops/changes the Starwood Amex, could be used even more.

https://www.uber.com/c/uber-credit-card/

I'm guessing the "get % back" means in the form of credits to be used at Uber? Or do they mean cash back/statement credit?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I'm guessing the "get % back" means in the form of credits to be used at Uber? Or do they mean cash back/statement credit?
You can redeem your points for all three. You don't need to use Uber, which is somewhat surprising.

I agree with your assessment. 4% for restaurants is awesome, although I wished it was all "food-related" stores. Sometimes coffee/cafe don't count, like my Costco card.

Last edited by dinkoh; Oct 26, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:27 pm

Is this card only for US residents, or will Canadians also be eligible to apply? Seems to show info for the card on the Canadian uber site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.