Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Uber credit card (revamped October 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
See post 76 for a summary of changes announced October 2019.

Application: https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...8&cellNumber=2

FAQ: https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...ForwardUrl#q34
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Sources:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/uber-an...als-1501425094
http://domainnamewire.com/2017/07/14/uber-credit-card/

Lyft also have plans to launch a card.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:36 pm

Will it be Chip+PIN enabled and with Contactless included as well?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I thought Uber was pretty close to AmEx already (e.g. the monthly Uber credit on the Platinum card). Seems kinda weird to not go with them instead.

Originally Posted by Tyler2017
Will it be Chip+PIN enabled and with Contactless included as well?
It's likely going to be set up like Barclay's other cards: signature preferring (but with PIN available if needed) and no contactless.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
If it's issued through Barclays then count me out.

Not sure why these companies go with a card issuing company that isn't even big in the states. It's already irritated me that Jet Blue went with them after being partners with AMEX previously.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 12:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
... a card issuing company that isn't even big in the states....
Why is this important?
Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's issued through Barclays then count me out.

Not sure why these companies go with a card issuing company that isn't even big in the states. It's already irritated me that Jet Blue went with them after being partners with AMEX previously.
Barclaycard is a pretty big issuer in the US. Someone like HSBC, on the other hand...
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
Why is this important?
Because it's not really a solid bank to begin with.

They offer decent savings accounts and that's it. The Jet Blue card is good, but would rather have it be backed by another bank that has quality customer service.

I can be sure that if Barclays backs the Uber Card, you'll see 2x on Uber purchases, and 1x on everything else with a 17%-25% APR or something. Not that APR's matter to me a while lot but they do to the masses.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Aug 3, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Do you mean not financially sound, or something else? Why does a credit card customer care about their banking services? I do not bank at American Express, Bank of America, Barclays, Chase, or Citi but their credit card products are fine. I really don't see any connection.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:24 pm

I would call £1.2 trillion in assets and in existence since 1690 pretty solid. They might not have a huge retail banking presence in the US, but they're everywhere in the UK and part of the Global ATM Alliance with Bank of America.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
As mentioned, I think Barclaycard is a very solid issuer in the US. They know what they are doing and are very experienced with savvy cardholders (quarterly promotions, retention offers, etc.). They have an advanced team who can handle credit line transfers and appear to be more comfortable with customers having more than one card these days. I had three co-branded Priceline cards at one point (because they kept changing the offer), and they were okay once I spoke to their analyst.

Their website provides full details on every transaction (MCC), and I find they have exceptionally straightforward redemption programs (especially on travel bonus cards).

Also, I think it is better to have a variety of issuers as we are all seeing issues when you have concentration (Chase 5/24). There is only so much risk the large banks will take on any one customer.

Finally, I think they are the only major issuer who has plenty of no added FTF/AF cards with a genuine PIN option (if needed to complete a purchase overseas). Sure, it is way down in priority, but it is legit for using at those unattended kiosks/etc.

Now, Barclaycard's US operations weakness is chargebacks. Fraud charges are no issue to remove, but chargebacks require documentation.

I am a little surprised AmEx didn't try harder, but it seems Barclaycard is willing to pay a lot more spiff and perhaps guaranteed profit share than other issuers.

Rasheed
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean not financially sound, or something else? Why does a credit card customer care about their banking services? I do not bank at American Express, Bank of America, Barclays, Chase, or Citi but their credit card products are fine. I really don't see any connection.
Barclaycard is almost like Capital One, except with a few more co-branded cards.

- Bad customer service.
- High APR's (as mentioned I don't care, but others might).
- Relatively weak rewards system on their non-co branded cards.
- They made the Ring card worthless by upping it's APR and not giving it rewards.

I don't see why anyone would want a Barclaycard unless it's for the Jet Blue cards?

It's not like they have the highest cash back cards in the industry or transfer partners.

Originally Posted by rasheed

I am a little surprised AmEx didn't try harder, but it seems Barclaycard is willing to pay a lot more spiff and perhaps guaranteed profit share than other issuers.

Rasheed
Perhaps AMEX wanted nothing to do with it.

I'm willing to bet it'll be a 2x/1x rewards system with no AF, only bonus category will be Uber purchases.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:50 pm

I don't see why anyone would want a Barclaycard unless it's for the Jet Blue cards?
Full (encrypted online, encrypted offline, plaintext offline) PIN CVM support with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee on the JetBlue and Arrival (not Arrival+ which has an AF) make the cards at least useful as backup for places that require PIN.

Perhaps AMEX wanted nothing to do with it.
I don't give this theory much credence since Amex and Uber already have a partnership with the $15/month Uber credit on the Platinum card. More likely Barclays just came out with the offer most attractive to Uber.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Full (encrypted online, encrypted offline, plaintext offline) PIN CVM support with no annual fee and no foreign transaction fee on the JetBlue and Arrival (not Arrival+ which has an AF) make the cards at least useful as backup for places that require PIN.
I don't even see a link for the non AF Arrival on their website.

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards.html

I get what you're saying about the PIN, but I'm talking about the masses here... People who don't care about signature vs. PIN support.

And to be quite honest, the only person I've ever seen with a Barclaycard in their wallet is myself. Perhaps it's more popular in the mid-west?

More likely Barclays just came out with the offer most attractive to Uber.
I guess it depends on what you mean by "attractive."

I believe AMEX would have better perks and rewards for Uber cardholders, regardless of the offer Barclays gave Uber.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
The Priceline and Wyndham cards have no FTF or AF either, apparently.

I get what you're saying about the PIN, but I'm talking about the masses here... People who don't care about signature vs. PIN support.
I think enough people care about it and Barclaycard's marketed it well enough such that the Arrival+ is known as the card that's "chip and PIN". Never mind that it's not actually, at least with the (admittedly) much stricter definition that I use.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I think enough people care about it and Barclaycard's marketed it well enough such that the Arrival+ is known as the card that's "chip and PIN".
Why would someone want that card, except for the sign up bonus and PIN??

It's basically a 2% cash back card with an $89 AF.

If PIN was really that big of an issue, Americans would have PIN preferring cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.