Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE/JPNTTP/APEC/CREW
Just had Dinner in Amsterdam and have been testing US N26 as a travel debit card. So far I enjoy the interface a lot.

This restaurant had the card reader behind a counter and the server processed the transaction, although I said EUR she still processed as DCC. Which I didn’t notice until I looked at my receipt.

Interestingly, and I waited for the charge to finalized, the transaction still processed in EUR which I was happy about.

Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes
This restaurant had the card reader behind a counter and the server processed the transaction, although I said EUR she still processed as DCC. Which I didn’t notice until I looked at my receipt.

Interestingly, and I waited for the charge to finalized, the transaction still processed in EUR which I was happy about.
Was there a signature required, or was that receipt torn off of the signature receipt? There may have been a post facto DCC applied to change to EUR. I'm always vigilant with the receipts to check for DCC.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:11 pm

my time to shine boys

ordered pizza tonight and when the guy came to deliver the terminal did a forced dcc. the option (for currency) appears for half a second and then disappears and forces dcc.

my fiance complained but it's not the delivery guys fault. calling Boa tomorrow for forced dcc.
reason code 76 right?

there's too many sleazy places here that forces this that I need to charge back.

paid with Android pay.

Last edited by aGeist; Aug 17, 2019 at 9:22 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aGeist
calling Boa tomorrow for forced dcc.
reason code 76 right?
That's the one. I imagine if the reverse were true in the US that most restaurants and delivery places would figure it out how to opt out quickly if customers in the know left no tip.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
That's the one. I imagine if the reverse were true in the US that most restaurants and delivery places would figure it out how to opt out quickly if customers in the know left no tip.
​​​​​​we still gave the delivery guy a tip. wasn't his fault.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aGeist
​​​​​​we still gave the delivery guy a tip. wasn't his fault.
I understand it wasn't the delivery guy's fault, but I was saying that in tipped situations the waitstaff or delivery people would have more of an incentive to figure out how to make the system opt out.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I understand it wasn't the delivery guy's fault, but I was saying that in tipped situations the waitstaff or delivery people would have more of an incentive to figure out how to make the system opt out.
Good point.

It does happen sometimes the person using the terminal will hit USD as opposed to zloty but in this case, the screen appears for literally a split second before you can even hit the red button to zloty.

The chargeback amount will be a dollar but it's the principal. No company should be forcing a poor conversion like this and stating the user has the choice.

Looks like (based on the receipt), it's done by these guys:
https://www.eservice.pl/en/products-...onversion-dcc/

Here's a news article (in Polish) about forced Dcc from EService in Poland: https://subiektywnieofinansach.pl/zn...-dcc-terminal/
Videos of EService and their scam in action:

Absolute scum. I wonder how this can even be legal.

Last edited by aGeist; Aug 17, 2019 at 11:56 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
DCC offered at Hong Kong ATM

Just a small data point:

I’ve personally never seen DCC offered at mainstream banks in Hong Kong before.

Today at a Bank of China ATM in Mongkok I was offered 7.5560 HKD per US dollar, rather than the true rate of 7.8408 per dollar, a 3.8% markup.

I used my Capital One 360 card so there were no foreign transaction or foreign ATM fees. I generally use my Schwab visa debit card, and it’s possible that DCC has always been offered on debit mastercards and this is just my first experience using one - not sure.

Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:03 pm
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
Just got back from about 50 days in Europe this summer. In Ireland, ran into DCC at most tourist shops (Woolen Mills, etc) but always offered the clear choice to pick local currency. Same at the Royal Delft factory in the Netherlands for a large purchase as well as Fragonard in France. Only place I have experienced "sneaky" DCC was with Europcar in Scotland. Disputed that with the manager via email and got a credit without having to dispute it.

I used Apple Pay for most of my charges and the only CC problems I ran into was trying to pay a 50EUR parking fee in Brugge Belgium and buy gas in the Netherlands at automated stations that I could not because none of my cards (CSR, Cap1 GM Card) offered chip and pin.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by ck8
Just got back from about 50 days in Europe this summer. In Ireland, ran into DCC at most tourist shops (Woolen Mills, etc) but always offered the clear choice to pick local currency. Same at the Royal Delft factory in the Netherlands for a large purchase as well as Fragonard in France. Only place I have experienced "sneaky" DCC was with Europcar in Scotland. Disputed that with the manager via email and got a credit without having to dispute it.

I used Apple Pay for most of my charges and the only CC problems I ran into was trying to pay a 50EUR parking fee in Brugge Belgium and buy gas in the Netherlands at automated stations that I could not because none of my cards (CSR, Cap1 GM Card) offered chip and pin.
As I understand it, unattended gas stations in Europe sometimes don't accept cards from other European countries as well? Surprised the parking fee didn't go through without a signature as Approved though.

I don't recall DCC in Ireland two years ago using my phone almost exclusively.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:24 pm
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
As I understand it, unattended gas stations in Europe sometimes don't accept cards from other European countries as well? Surprised the parking fee didn't go through without a signature as Approved though.
It was an automated kiosk so it rejected both my cards as soon as I put them in. Interestingly my friends Amex Delta Platinum worked.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

I don't recall DCC in Ireland two years ago using my phone almost exclusively.
Ireland was the origin of DCC.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I just never ran across Irish DCC, nor I believe did my companion, was my point. She did, however, have to produce ID for one shop in Cork before being allowed to sign the slip!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

I just never ran across Irish DCC, nor I believe did my companion, was my point. She did, however, have to produce ID for one shop in Cork before being allowed to sign the slip!
In many cases contactless/mobile payments can avoid DCC prompts from showing. There are situations where that isn't the case, such as the recent examples in Poland.

I saw a sign in Vancouver on Granville Island at one of the shops saying all signature transactions would need ID. I always report such merchants to the payment networks and inform the merchant when requested that ID checks do nothing to change merchant liability.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Hmm, could I have been better off choosing USD instead of EUR at Airbnb just now? Note the screenshots below:

According to xe.com, €67.74 converts to $76.12 (vs. $75.17 by letting Airbnb do it)--a 1.2% or so difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.