Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I called Chase and asked about getting a Contactless card. ... So I again asked him how I could get one of these cards. He told me he was not sure. So I asked him if we reissue my card, will it come with Contactless. He said he was hoping to find more information, but could not get any exact information as to exactly when I could get one of these cards and suggested I "wait my turn."
To expect a front line CSR to know the answer to that is highly unrealistic. You won't get a proper answer no matter when you call them.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'm assuming that the IHG MasterCard will be a huge exception to all this?
Most likely. Maybe it'll become a Visa once their contract runs out and thus get contactless/mobile wallet support then?

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
To expect a front line CSR to know the answer to that is highly unrealistic. You won't get a proper answer no matter when you call them.
The page linked earlier isn't actually referenced from anywhere on chase.com yet. It's no surprise we're getting inconsistent responses.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
The page linked earlier isn't actually referenced from anywhere on chase.com yet. It's no surprise we're getting inconsistent responses.
A search for contactless on the site search tool takes you directly to that page.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cjw2001
A search for contactless on the site search tool takes you directly to that page.
Huh, I probably should have done that. Still, I'd expect it to be linked in the same places as the EMV page.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like many/most of the NCR using grocery store chains around here may now be using whatever update enables Quick Chip (and possibly EMV contactless, though only Whole Foods and Sprouts seem to show EMV info on receipts after tapping). Stater Bros. is another example of this that I saw tonight, along with Smart & Final as mentioned before.

Also, we can add the Quicken credit card to the contactless supporting list: https://www.quickencard.com/credit/w...exp=&referral=. I don't think US Bank has changed over any of their own cards yet though.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:29 pm

Costco now supports Visa debit cards via ctls but it forces pin better but would be better if we did not have to enter a pin at all. Here is the pin screen: http://imgur.com/C1MVVTn Target had no green dots on the screen so not enabled here either.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
Costco now supports Visa debit cards via ctls but it forces pin better but would be better if we did not have to enter a pin at all. Here is the pin screen: http://imgur.com/C1MVVTn Target had no green dots on the screen so not enabled here either.
can you force it to to do Visa only?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Maybe it allows bypass anyway despite the UI? Unless you tried already and it didn't work, of course.

Also, no sign of contactless at four different Target locations around here. If it's anything like the EMV rollout, I suspect it'll take a month or two for the majority to get it.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:20 pm

Maybe it allows bypass anyway despite the UI? Unless you tried already and it didn't work, of course.

Also, no sign of contactless at four different Target locations around here. If it's anything like the EMV rollout, I suspect it'll take a month or two for the majority to get it.
I pressed green and gave me an error beep unless its the red button or yellow but I doubt its a different button. With a chip debit card it allows pin bypass with the green button.

Last edited by scibot; Nov 6, 2018 at 3:12 am
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:05 am

Bloomberg had an article today highlighting the new push for contactless in the US and said a lot of it has been driven by the MTA in New York, which plans to offer tap access to the subway system next year.

According to the MTA, the new system will be similar to TfL in London

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-s-time-to-tap

MTA | Press Release | MTA Headquarters | MTA to Introduce New Fare Payment System to Replace MetroCard
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Bloomberg had an article today highlighting the new push for contactless in the US and said a lot of it has been driven by the MTA in New York, which plans to offer tap access to the subway system next year.

According to the MTA, the new system will be similar to TfL in London

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-s-time-to-tap

MTA Press Release MTA Headquarters MTA to Introduce New Fare Payment System to Replace MetroCard
I’d hope it’s similar to London, considering Cubic transportation of San Diego is who installed and currently maintains London’s system.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
So MTA themselves reached out to Chase, etc. and asked them to include the feature on their cards? Interesting.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
The TfL system is incredible from my personal experience. If it is true to have caused Chase to move to tap physical cards, that is pretty amazing. I wonder if Capital One who pretty much makes all of their decisions at the VA HQ was influenced by their local DC Metro similar plans (publicly announced in April 2018).

By the way, testers are needed for the DC Metro tap programs: http://paymentpilot.wmata.com/
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
My nearby Target doesn't have it yet. I'll check a few others.
The Sunnyvale Target doesn't have it yet either.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
So MTA themselves reached out to Chase, etc. and asked them to include the feature on their cards? Interesting.
Anything is possible, but I feel that is only one input to this process. Visa has been a vocal force in pushing its issuers for this in the US, and the timing seems right as merchant acceptance has increased substantially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.