FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Print Wikipost

US based Union Pay card?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
I just remembered that last time I used a signature-preferring card (MC, IIRC) at the manned counter there, I didn't have to sign at all. Could it be something UnionPay mandates even for smaller amounts?
It's hard to say. After the Cupertino Post Office installed the new style Self-Service Kiosk I tried my UnionPay and had to input my PIN. Walmart supports PBOCCARD natively, but my purchase of around $20 waived any PIN or signature. I don't know if a PIN would be required above a certain amount, but I don't have any data points for large ticket purchases at Walmart.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
In China I’ve been requested to sign whether it had been QuickPay or PIN entry. I noticed PIN is triggered when using QuickPay if 300 RMB or over.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
It's hard to say. After the Cupertino Post Office installed the new style Self-Service Kiosk I tried my UnionPay and had to input my PIN. Walmart supports PBOCCARD natively, but my purchase of around $20 waived any PIN or signature. I don't know if a PIN would be required above a certain amount, but I don't have any data points for large ticket purchases at Walmart.
USPS in general is weird. The kiosks, for instance, don't allow any transactions over $50--even if your card needs a PIN. And the receipt that printed out once at a manned counter made me think that it would have selected PIN as a CVM if the transaction was large enough, despite the card being signature-preferring (Arrival+). I'm not sure they should be considered any indicator of how the card should behave in practice.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:21 pm

It's hard to say. After the Cupertino Post Office installed the new style Self-Service Kiosk I tried my UnionPay and had to input my PIN.
Did you notice if the new kiosk had contactless enabled yet? If so, I wonder if QuickPass would work. I just know it wasn't active at the manned counter terminal I tested.

Unfortunately, the kiosk nearest me was being used when I went in recently, so didn't get to test it.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcardnet
Did you notice if the new kiosk had contactless enabled yet? If so, I wonder if QuickPass would work. I just know it wasn't active at the manned counter terminal I tested.

I should check the kiosk nearest me. When I went in recently, it was being used.
Contactless works at the manned counters now? I went pretty recently (within the last month) and it definitely wasn't enabled at either the kiosks or the counter, so it could be worth a visit.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:44 pm

Contactless works at the manned counters now? I went pretty recently (within the last month) and it definitely wasn't enabled at either the kiosks or the counter, so it could be worth a visit.
No, I was saying contactless was NOT active at the manned counters. I was asking if by some crazy reason it was active on the kiosk in Cupertino as I wasn't able to check on my recent visit.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I was saying contactless was NOT active at the manned counters. I was asking if by some crazy reason it was active on the kiosk in Cupertino as I wasn't able to check on my recent visit.
Oh, I misread your last post. Sorry about that.

They're both likely using the same backend system, though, so when one does eventually work the other will hopefully as well.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:57 pm

Unfortunately, the kiosk nearest me was being used when I went in recently, so didn't get to test it.
I last tried it about a year ago, but I would be surprised if QuickPass works.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:02 pm

ICBC US-issued UnionPay online testing in US:

*Confirmed* Verizon wireless autopay works fine & fully posts

The 1c card check test Verizon does when you add the card remained pending until 17 days later when it dropped off. The failed Costco online purchase also took 17 days to drop off from pending. This seems like quite a long time compared to what I normally see on other cards. Does anyone else see pending charges that were never posted take a long time to drop off on this card?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:14 pm

Yeah, UnionPay cards (at least when swiped) can be run as debit in the US, which would make this card a viable option for Costco and Arco. I didn't see anything specific at first glance on ICBC's site as to whether debit purchases with cash back would count as a cash advance, however (or would even be approved in the first place).
In-person US testing (July 2019):

FAILS:
Costco - No longer works as a debit card here. I inserted, received error, then swiped, which then said the insert, and thus a vicious cycle. I repeated 2-3 times before and after items were rung up with no success. My guess is that the compatibility changed when they updated the terminals and fully implemented EMV chip & contactless in 2018.

SUCCESS:
McDonalds - Accepted as Chip card on Discover network according to receipt
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:42 pm

In-person US testing (July 2019):

FAILS:
Costco - No longer works as a debit card here. I inserted, received error, then swiped, which then said the insert, and thus a vicious cycle. I repeated 2-3 times before and after items were rung up with no success. My guess is that the compatibility changed when they updated the terminals and fully implemented EMV chip & contactless in 2018.

SUCCESS:
McDonalds - Accepted as Chip card on Discover network according to receipt
Thanks for the data points. I wonder if USPS and Safeway still work as a debit card.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Hi folks, I'm about to take this ICBC UP for a test drive in Shenzhen (and will definitely try the red subway gate!). A few quick questions:

1. Where (in the website) can I set my PIN? I'm sure I set it somehow before but can't recall (because I use this card exclusively in CN). Or does require a call to customer service?

2. I keep hearing 'QuickPass' and wondering if this is something extra I need to activate on my ICBC Gold Preferred card?

3. I signed up (back in December) on the premise of getting $50 cash bonus after $1,000 purchase (in which I made 2 (two) $500 purchases in two separate billing cycles, all within 3 months of signup).. Haven't seen that $50 bonus yet, wonder if others had the same experience?

Thx in advance!
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Jamester
1. Where (in the website) can I set my PIN? I'm sure I set it somehow before but can't recall (because I use this card exclusively in CN). Or does require a call to customer service?

2. I keep hearing 'QuickPass' and wondering if this is something extra I need to activate on my ICBC Gold Preferred card?

3. I signed up (back in December) on the premise of getting $50 cash bonus after $1,000 purchase (in which I made 2 (two) $500 purchases in two separate billing cycles, all within 3 months of signup).. Haven't seen that $50 bonus yet, wonder if others had the same experience?
1. I would call.
2. Nothing needs to be activated.
3. I would call.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Red face

1. I would call.
2. Nothing needs to be activated.
3. I would call.
Awesome - thx Majuki - I used the Messages feature in the ICBC USA website and explained the missing $50 bonus and within 8 hours I received a credit for the missing $50 bonus. Nice!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:36 pm

Thanks for the data points. I wonder if USPS and Safeway still work as a debit card.
ICBC US-issued UnionPay card - more recent US testing results

Note that through numerous uses to test with mixed in-person chip, in-person swipe, & online orders, I've not yet received any phone call about my card, nor has it become frozen (inoperable).

NATIVE PBOC CHIP WORKS
Walgreens - clerk; easily & smoothly like any other credit card
Home Depot - self-checkout; easily & smoothly like any other credit card

USPS - easily & smoothly like any other credit card; retested with human clerk to check for any debit/PIN options, & none existed; tried stamps on kiosk & processed successfully the same way with PBOC chip like with human clerk, no prompt for PIN

Walmart - as we know it works based on other reports, but I had trouble when I tested self-checkout: the No cash machine prompted for PIN, but did not allow me to enter it, & then I received a card declined message; tried twice; with a standard machine, it prompted for PIN, but did not allow me to enter it, BUT did finish processing successfully; seems like Walmart needs to fix the payment flow here

SWIPE WORKS
Safeway - Swipe works, including cash back like PIN debit
Self-checkout: Rejected chip as usual, so swiped as instructed, & gives option of "Key in PIN or Press Enter for credit", so it actually gives you the option of what to use rather than forcing PIN; I did PIN, it asked if I wanted cashback, so I said yes, & gives you the standard screen for cashback like a debit card (I think options for up to $200 were shown), so I did $40 & it came out fine; basically, looks & feels like you are using a debit card

Grocery Outlet - Swipe works, including cash back like PIN debit
Human clerk - works like Safeway except it forces PIN use (no option to use like credit) to use like PIN debit; shows cashback options up to $40; I selected $10, & everything worked fine

TOTAL FAIL (not even swipe)
RedBox - swipe fails with card not recognized error; machine had new Ingenico iUC285 terminal on it saying chip/tap was coming

ONLINE SUCCESS (June & July testing) - Assume automatically recognized as Discover unless otherwise mentioned
Actual online orders/payments using computer & web browser were made to ensure full acceptance

Amazon.com - recognized as UnionPay, incl logo; reported before
PG&E energy bill payment; reported before, confirming full posting
Verizon wireless payment (manual pay or autopay); reported before, confirming full posting
bedbathandbeyond.com
sportsbasement.com
dollartree.com - must manually select Discover from list
boxed.com - recognized as UnionPay, incl logo
walgreens.com
riteaid.com
homedepot.com - manually adding card to online account doesn't work, but manually entering card during order works

MOBILE APP NOTES - did not test using them with card
Uber - detects & accepts saving card to account as UnionPay, incl showing correct logo
Lyft - detects & accepts saving card to account, but labeled as Unknown (type) in saved cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.