Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maxing out FICO score

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I have a friend who pays "cash" for everything in full. When he went to pay for his condo (Brooklyn) the board said they preferred candidates with higher credit scores. He did eventually get approved but to correct the issue he took out a loan to "remodel". I think it was 50k$ for 5 years but he paid it off in a few months. His credit score a year later was 100 points higher than before purchase.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I am trying to save up for a cash house purchase and already buy my cars with cash only and that somehow hurts my credit? Good thing I won't be needing a loan
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
760+ referred to FICO not to the TU score you mentioned as 760 FICO could be 800 TU or ....
They are all different and you can't compare 1:1 ( there are even different FICOs)
All models of FICO scores should also carry an EQ, EX, or TU reference. FICO scores don't exist without data from one of those three credit bureaus. "760 FICO" leaves out to much information. 760 TU 08 FICO is much more accurate.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
Quote:

760+ referred to FICO not to the TU score you mentioned as 760 FICO could be 800 TU or ....
They are all different and you can't compare 1:1 ( there are even different FICOs)

All models of FICO scores should also carry an EQ, EX, or TU reference. FICO scores don't exist without data from one of those three credit bureaus. "760 FICO" leaves out to much information. 760 TU 08 FICO is much more accurate.
Correct but the TU the OP referred to was probably a TransUnion score not a FICO
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:30 am

Correct but the TU the OP referred to was probably a TransUnion score not a FICO
You're right. That's not any type of FICO.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I am trying to save up for a cash house purchase and already buy my cars with cash only and that somehow hurts my credit?
YES - that is how it works. When I paid off my house years ago my credit score dropped 10 points. It is still hovers around 800 so I am not loosing sleep over this. But as others point out different types of credit help your score so if you have CC, Home and Car loans active but paid down your score will rise. But this makes no sense for you to do based on what you posted. Better to pay cash if you can, just understand your score is excellent as is, but will likely not rise significantly if you only have credit cards listed in your CR.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:44 pm

its moronic

credit is so over-complicated with different scoring models and different numbers depending on the loan...a car dealer has different credit models and scores to look at than a mortgage broker or a credit analyst for a revolving charge card.
The main catch 22 is people who need it cant get it, and the people who don't need it get the best rates.
If you really hate paying interest, you can pay cash...but creditwise you should get the free financing at the car dealer with no penalty for early payment and pay it off. Same thing with a house, get loan paid down to a years worth of payments after closing and pay minimal interest. Both show as major positive credit score points, and add variety to your overall credit that having dozens of credit cards won't accomplish. There are tons of ways to negatively impact your credit, but few published ways to boost it that work for everyone.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by jsk1973
These credit-score addicts need a hobby.
The funny thing about perfect credit is that there is no such thing, but work on it, and the scores will follow. Ignore the credit card companies too; dont bother with many cards, limits dont matter much and dont push the due date. In short, dont be late, pay down before the statement date and apply sparingly.

Originally Posted by philemer
Welcome to FT zoonwakpatak
FT does not have a 'credit' forum so I'd suggest you head over to www.creditboards.comand www.myfice.comfor answers to your questions.
Credit cards questions we CAN handle, however.
But note the local customs, myfico isnt in favor of posting to threads untouched for months nor is much time spent on churning, to mention a few.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There is some irony in posting to an almost 3 year dead thread about how another forum isn't in favor of posting to months old untouched threads.

Originally Posted by vanillabean
The funny thing about perfect credit is that there is no such thing, but work on it, and the scores will follow. Ignore the credit card companies too; dont bother with many cards, limits dont matter much and dont push the due date. In short, dont be late, pay down before the statement date and apply sparingly.

But note the local customs, myfico isnt in favor of posting to threads untouched for months nor is much time spent on churning, to mention a few.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.