Wiki Posts
Search

Plastc (new Coin?)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Tyler2017
I guess in a way, this is good news for those who actually want EMV to be as successful and widespread as possible, and ensure that businesses would not become distracted by some hype from an unproven concept.
I think it would have impacted contactless more, to be honest.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
For anyone interested, the Plastc LinkedIn page is still up (though who knows for how much longer).

There is also a FB group started with people discussing a possible class action lawsuit (IANAL so I'm not debating whether such a suit would be valid, I'm just saying someone started a FB page): https://www.facebook.com/plastccardlawsuit

Also discussion of Amex and Chase, at least, being generous with their time limitations on chargebacks. Offering investigations and refunds for folks going back as far as 2015 in some cases. Of course, there are also anecdotes of other banks/CCs rejecting the chargeback because it's so old.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
And to follow up in case anyone cares, I did have a pre-order in and called Amex to dispute it and request a chargeback. Preorder was placed last February (so about 14 months ago).

Amex rep was pretty useless. As soon as I said 2016, she stopped in her tracks and said she couldn't even see charges back that far. ...? I can log into my account on amex.com and pull up the charge myself, surely a CSR can see the same thing, no?

If anyone else has had success getting a chargeback from Amex, please let me know what magic words I need to use.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by gooselee
And to follow up in case anyone cares, I did have a pre-order in and called Amex to dispute it and request a chargeback. Preorder was placed last February (so about 14 months ago).

Amex rep was pretty useless. As soon as I said 2016, she stopped in her tracks and said she couldn't even see charges back that far. ...? I can log into my account on amex.com and pull up the charge myself, surely a CSR can see the same thing, no?

If anyone else has had success getting a chargeback from Amex, please let me know what magic words I need to use.
Why not just do a charge back online, no?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Curve is basically the same as original Google Wallet. Also Amex should sue the Telegraph for libel. I've never, ever, ever been surcharged for using Amex. And Amex clearly bans such a surcharge.
Went to an Apple Authorized retailer in Melbourne as was told Amex incurs a 2% surcharge while visa and Mastercard won't.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Why not just do a charge back online, no?
I can see the charge online, but charges from more then 6 statements ago do not have the "Open an inquiry" link.

I may just do it by mail. No rush on my end, obviously.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I can see the charge online, but charges from more then 6 statements ago do not have the "Open an inquiry" link.

I may just do it by mail. No rush on my end, obviously.
I would be in a rush. There's only a matter of time before Plastc closes the account they took payments from, which is where AMEX would get the money back that you paid to them. Doesn't matter if they have money in their account or not, the ACH or wire would be forced to go through, putting them more in the red.

Plastc is nothing short of a scam, just like Coin. Another word of advice for everyone on here... If you want to sell your electronic devices, don't go through a company named ecyclebest... They're a scam too.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sintaku
Went to an Apple Authorized retailer in Melbourne as was told Amex incurs a 2% surcharge while visa and Mastercard won't.
I meant in the UK. It is common in Australia. Tho one Australian chain, Typo (part of Cotton On) brought that dispicable practice to England with them. I hope it doesn't catch on!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
For anyone interested, the Plastc LinkedIn page is still up (though who knows for how much longer).

There is also a FB group started with people discussing a possible class action lawsuit (IANAL so I'm not debating whether such a suit would be valid, I'm just saying someone started a FB page): https://www.facebook.com/plastccardlawsuit

Also discussion of Amex and Chase, at least, being generous with their time limitations on chargebacks. Offering investigations and refunds for folks going back as far as 2015 in some cases. Of course, there are also anecdotes of other banks/CCs rejecting the chargeback because it's so old.
They declared Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The lawsuit is a total waste of time, beating a dead horse, trying to squeeze blood from a stone, etc... best recourse is to try a chargeback.

Crowdfunding is frought with risk. It's not a pre-order of a properly developed product, it's chipping into the development of a product which may or may not come to fruition and may or may not be feasible.

Another note: Everyone gave Coin flak for the product they shipped but at least they did actually ship.

I think the physical card is going to die but NFC payments from gadgets will increase. I think smartwatches hold the most promise on this, I'm curious to see what Fitbit can do with a new smartwatch in this area after acquiring Coin in 2016.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:33 am
XP1

Originally Posted by phltraveler
Crowdfunding is frought with risk. It's not a pre-order of a properly developed product, it's chipping into the development of a product which may or may not come to fruition and may or may not be feasible.
Plastc was a pre-order, not a crowdfunding campaign.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Several dozen
Talking

Now taking $9 million in pre-orders for travel on my bridge to be built from Miami to Havana. It will be called the Plastc Bridge. We expect it to be operational in two years or so. Tell all your friends on social media and be sure to send your $100 in to reserve a trip on the new bridge to my prince of an uncle in Nigeria. He should be sending you an email to pre-order your trip any day now. He also needs your social security number and bank account number to set up your pre-order account.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by XP1
Plastc was a pre-order, not a crowdfunding campaign.
It didn't take place on a specific crowdfunding platform like Kickstarter, but they sold "pre-orders" on the basis of the product eventually being made available by using the preorder funds to develop and make the product. The crowd's funds paid for R&D (which ultimately wasn't enough and they went bankrupt).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
It didn't take place on a specific crowdfunding platform like Kickstarter, but they sold "pre-orders" on the basis of the product eventually being made available by using the preorder funds to develop and make the product. The crowd's funds paid for R&D (which ultimately wasn't enough and they went bankrupt).
Customers paid for an advertised product, not for research and development to get that product. Nowhere did it say the customer was investing.

I would Plastc owes a lot of people money, and the courts should force them to pay up somehow. I think the owner(s) should be imprisoned for fraud.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Customers paid for an advertised product, not for research and development to get that product. Nowhere did it say the customer was investing.

I would Plastc owes a lot of people money, and the courts should force them to pay up somehow. I think the owner(s) should be imprisoned for fraud.
There might not be any money to give back, though. Also, due to the company's bankruptcy, the customers are pretty far back in the order of who to pay back--if they can even get on that list in the first place.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
There might not be any money to give back, though. Also, due to the company's bankruptcy, the customers are pretty far back in the order of who to pay back--if they can even get on that list in the first place.
Agreed, they're pretty far back in the order.

The former owner(s) of the company have to somehow make a living wage in the future, though, perhaps we should see garnished wages to slowly pay back the customers who were screwed over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.