Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I never bothered to load the First Tech app on my phone, as I very rarely use my bank account there, so I can't look at the exact transaction to see its history. In my experience, debit purchases using a debit card post immediately, but credit takes a day or two longer to be finalized.
FWIW I just used my Chase card at one of the vending machines at work this morning and noticed the following:
  1. No amount appears in Wallet immediately after tapping (expected due to use of MSD contactless).
  2. After authorization, the Chase mobile app sends push notification for initial amount. Still nothing in Wallet.
  3. After selecting item: Chase sends a second push notification with the final amount. Apple Pay also sends a DECLINED notification for this amount which appears in Wallet (see below).

This might be a iOS 10 thing though since I remember only getting one push notification before.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:41 pm

Not only is the Walgreens by my office still forcing PIN on Apple Pay debit, they're now demanding ID for inserted credit card transactions. If they're trying to botch their rollout of technology, they're doing a great job!
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
Not only is the Walgreens by my office still forcing PIN on Apple Pay debit, they're now demanding ID for inserted credit card transactions. If they're trying to botch their rollout of technology, they're doing a great job!
One of my Canadian credit cards has no name printed on it (was given to me in branch), I'd love for someone to ask for ID on that card.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Report them to the relevant card issuer. Most card issuers (Visa, MC, Amex, etc) have merchant agreements that do not allow merchants to request ID as a condition of sale (with some exceptions such as if the card isn't run as EMV, or if the card isn't signed)

Here is the form for MC. I had the Visa one bookmarked, but they must have moved the page.

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-shopping.html

Originally Posted by reclusive46
One of my Canadian credit cards has no name printed on it (was given to me in branch), I'd love for someone to ask for ID on that card.
It's not uncommon for banks to issue temporary debit cards here in the US with the name "Valued Customer" or something like that. I'm curious as well, as to how they would handle that.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:20 pm

The Visa form to report merchant issues is here:

https://usa.visa.com/Forms/merchant-...aint-form.html
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Oh look at that first option!

I was using my Visa Debit card and was required to enter a PIN to complete my purchase. I did not have the option to sign for my purchase.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:29 pm

I went to Little Caesars Pizza and they have a VX820+VX520 but contactless did not work as I got 'pinpad error' with both Visa debit and the grandfathered mastercard when I tapped the VX820 so maybe it only works on the VX520? Also EMV is enabled there as well. Then after I failed to pay that way twice I walked to a Starbucks that is not on the ctls locator and they have the VX820 with the pinpads but no chip yet and NFC worked totally fine there. It seemed to respond faster to my phone but processing and the Approved message took longer to come up.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
The Visa form to report merchant issues is here:

https://usa.visa.com/Forms/merchant-...aint-form.html
The form doesn't actually work. When you try to submit it, it throws an error. I looked for a while to report a surcharge issue last week and couldn't find a working Visa contact form anywhere, nor an e-mail address.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Officially, it appears that you're supposed to go through the bank that issued your card now:

What do I do if a merchant will not accept my Visa card?

Your payment experience is incredibly important to us. Merchants who display the Visa logo are not permitted to choose whether or not to accept a Visa card for payment if the customer is acting in good faith.

Visa has over 16,000 financial institution clients that issue their own Visa cards and sign up merchants to accept them. These institutions set the terms and conditions for their merchant relationships and, therefore, handle all customer service matters relating to them.

We recommend that you notify your Visa card issuer using the customer support number appearing on your Visa statement or the back of your Visa card. Your Visa card issuer has access to the appropriate Visa rules and regulations, as well as the Notification of Customer Complaint forms to file complaints.
Speaking of Visa, are there any issuers other than Citi that have contactless on their cards? The ones that we know about generally seem to be AmEx or MasterCard. (Weirdly, Wells Fargo still has info about them in their FAQ even though we've concluded a while back that they've stopped issuing them.)
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
I went to Little Caesars Pizza and they have a VX820+VX520 but contactless did not work as I got 'pinpad error' with both Visa debit and the grandfathered mastercard when I tapped the VX820 so maybe it only works on the VX520? Also EMV is enabled there as well. Then after I failed to pay that way twice I walked to a Starbucks that is not on the ctls locator and they have the VX820 with the pinpads but no chip yet and NFC worked totally fine there. It seemed to respond faster to my phone but processing and the Approved message took longer to come up.
I haven't been in a long time, is this system wide? I know they have been using the Vx520 back in the past. It'll be cool they added the Vx820.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, some interesting reading for those wondering whether Walgreens can do this (last page in particular):

2. Examples of prohibited merchant restrictions. The following are examples of issuer or network practices that would inhibit a merchant’s ability to direct the routing of an electronic debit transaction that are prohibited under § 235.7(b):

i. Prohibiting a merchant from encouraging or discouraging a cardholder’s use of a particular method of debit card authorization, such as rules prohibiting merchants from favoring a cardholder’s use of PIN debit over signature debit, or from discouraging the cardholder’s use of signature debit.
Sounds like merchants are allowed to ask for PIN by default but the current rules don't specifically allow or prohibit what Walmart et al want to do.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Try the yellow button on the Walgreens pinpad when it asks for the pin. (not the red button)

What is the address of this location that is requiring ID?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Try the yellow button on the Walgreens pinpad when it asks for the pin. (not the red button)
There really need to be some standards when it comes to stuff like this.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:00 am

The button does nothing.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:25 am

It's the Empire State Building. 350 5th Ave, NY NY 10118.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.