Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:33 pm

My local grocery chain, Giant (owned by Ahold, as well as Stop & Shop and Giant PA), recently installed Verifone MX915 terminals. Contactless and EMV are not (yet) enabled, but I expect them to given how tech-oriented they've been lately with their mobile apps, mobile scanning, et al.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Don't they still use Mx860 there?
Nope they upgraded to MX915's, but NFC was disabled the last time I tried to use it, but now since credit cards should be accepted you'd think contactless support is not too far away. I'm pretty sure contactless is enabled at Aldi in many countries such as the UK and Germany, so why not here.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
Nope they upgraded to MX915's, but NFC was disabled the last time I tried to use it, but now since credit cards should be accepted you'd think contactless support is not too far away. I'm pretty sure contactless is enabled at Aldi in many countries such as the UK and Germany, so why not here.
Aldi seems to use the Vx820 in other countries, wonder why they chose to use the Mx915 here if not for the electronic signature capture.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Aldi seems to use the Vx820 in other countries, wonder why they chose to use the Mx915 here if not for the electronic signature capture.
Cultural considerations? Electronic signature capture was pretty common pre-EMV too. Also, maybe the MX915 has P2PE/tokenization support in the US with their acquirer while the VX820 does not?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BevMo seems to be at least starting to support EMV and NFC now, according to my map and MasterCard's. Location down the street from me is on the latter and another on the other side of the state got added to the former. Is it at all of them yet?

(BTW their website is acting up but I think MasterCard's updated today or yesterday.)
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Cultural considerations? Electronic signature capture was pretty common pre-EMV too. Also, maybe the MX915 has P2PE/tokenization support in the US with their acquirer while the VX820 does not?
Cultural? Subway, Starbucks etc use the Vx820 just fine . It'd be weird to define culture based on what card terminal to use. However C&S seems to prefer on screen over paper signatures so I could see why. Many places are preferring to opt for on screen signature, including my doctor.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cultural? Subway, Starbucks etc use the Vx820 just fine . It'd be weird to define culture based on what card terminal to use.
Those also don't really deal with transactions over $50 either. The culture thing comes into play because at the places that do, people expect to sign on a LCD screen and not a piece of paper anywhere that's not a restaurant and that's larger than the corner bodega.

Speaking of that, it really should be over $100 and not $50. Stuff is getting more expensive in general.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:57 pm

Those also don't really deal with transactions over $50 either. The culture thing comes into play because at the places that do, people expect to sign on a LCD screen and not a piece of paper anywhere that's not a restaurant and that's larger than the corner bodega.

Speaking of that, it really should be over $100 and not $50. Stuff is getting more expensive in general.
DC taxis with VX820s are able to capture a digital signature on the terminal, but I suppose that's the exception versus the norm.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
DC taxis with VX820s are able to capture a digital signature on the terminal, but I suppose that's the exception versus the norm.
That is and the screen is resistive. That can't be good over time and I'm sure in a year the screen will look all scuffed up from people having to sign with their fingernail.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had a taxi ride in Vegas recently where the screen was present in the seat back, but disabled in favor of the driver's handing me a slip to sign from his machine.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is and the screen is resistive. That can't be good over time and I'm sure in a year the screen will look all scuffed up from people having to sign with their fingernail.
I've seen some MX900 series terminals that are already pretty scratched up around where the signature line displays on the screen so capacitive is no guarantee.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:03 am

Many of them have a stylus as well.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Local In-N-Out fell off the MasterCard map, so that's that. I bet they don't implement EMV at all, come to think of it--it would explain why the terminals are cashier facing now anyway.

In better news, I did find a Baskin Robbins location on there, so perhaps they're rolling out their new setup now.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:57 pm

Local In-N-Out fell off the MasterCard map, so that's that. I bet they don't implement EMV at all, come to think of it--it would explain why the terminals are cashier facing now anyway.

In better news, I did find a Baskin Robbins location on there, so perhaps they're rolling out their new setup now.
The only reason they got these was for some shoddy C&S setup in the future.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only reason they got these was for some shoddy C&S setup in the future.
Not necessarily. They probably wanted a semi-integrated setup to take their POS out of scope for PCI and possibly wanted to do NFC too. Then they found out that their POS vendor will never do NFC or something without brand new POSes. (No idea if that's indeed the case but their POSes do seem kinda old.) In-N-Out then concludes it's not worth the money and since they don't want to slow down lines for no benefit, EMV stays off too. Which considering their low transaction values and how fast food is pretty low risk right now fraud-wise is probably the best move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.