Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Tried tapping my SPG Amex at CVS pharmacy in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The device detected it and displayed a message that contactless wasn't available. It was necessary to swipe the mag stripe, not contactless or chip! (No PIN or signature required either.)
The SPG has contactless built into the card now?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by tmiw
Anyway, I bought Coin 2.0 from Amazon (I know, I know--but at least Amazon's return policy is pretty good) to see how well the NFC functionality works. Added two Chase cards through the app and it took something like 4-5 days and possibly an App Store update to finally recognize that the cards are NFC capable. I initially thought that it would recognize such cards immediately or close to such, but Coin support was of no help when I asked. Weirdly, one of the Chase cards doesn't show anything other than "Visa" when selected. Bug perhaps?

Besides that, I tried tapping it at a vending machine at work and it seemed to work okay. Haven't tried anywhere else yet. cardpeek really doesn't like Coin though so I had to use an Android NFC reader app to read it. It seems to be MSD only and doesn't do any sort of tokenization. That is, it's using the same exact card number over NFC as on the front of the physical card. You'd think they'd have implemented at least that since they need bank permission to do so. Also, I'm not sure if it's the app I'm using on Android or a Coin limitation, but I was only able to read the Track 2 Equivalent Data.

In other news, I re-added my Aviator card to Apple Pay recently and it's still showing up as US Airways. I guess Barclaycard forgot that part of the rebranding?
Are you sure Amazon lets you return opened electronics?

'Cause IMHO Coin is useless. At least Plastc are trying to go the tokenization route and working with banks.

We'll see how that actually plays it out -- their new "subscription service" model is... interesting.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Are you sure Amazon lets you return opened electronics?

'Cause IMHO Coin is useless. At least Plastc are trying to go the tokenization route and working with banks.

We'll see how that actually plays it out -- their new "subscription service" model is... interesting.
I don't foresee any problems if I do return it since it doesn't seem to be listed under one of their return policy exceptions. The lack of tokenization and their craptastic support are the things that bug me the most.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Security seal? I don't think I've seen that anywhere.
I think he is talking about the chip card instruction stickers stuck above and below the screen.

The security seal is indeed useless. If you pull apart the PIN pad it loses all of its keys and software anyway.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:56 am

I don't foresee any problems if I do return it since it doesn't seem to be listed under one of their return policy exceptions. The lack of tokenization and their craptastic support are the things that bug me the most.
Not the entire business model based on lies?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Not the entire business model based on lies?
I don't really think they were lying. When they first started taking preorders it pretty much was the state of the art in the US. EMV wasn't being taken seriously by retailers and banks so Coin probably didn't know to research that (or if they did, they concluded that it was far enough out that they could release at least one iteration without major issues.)

Of course, the initial release was so delayed that it was no longer state of the art. It also didn't help that everyone finally decided that maybe EMV should be adopted in the US. Coin made the wrong bet and now had to play catch-up. They probably put far more of a priority on NFC because of a belief that Americans may actually jump straight to contactless or at the very least use chip long enough to get utterly frustrated. And since they needed to have something out Right Now™ that looked like they were keeping up, along comes Coin 2.0 with a NFC half-implementation. Which probably works fine for now but they really need to deliver on using EMV contactless instead of MSD at some point. "Soon" this time may be too great of a challenge for them.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
The SPG has contactless built into the card now?
It has ever since they went from the blue card design to the red one. When they first added the EMV chip, the EMV version didn't have contactless, but that was later added and the purple version has contactless as well. I'm not sure if there is still a non-contactless purple version (might be mentioned in the SPG forum thread); I still have the non-contactless red EMV card and haven't gotten a purple one yet.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...n-express.html
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I just tapped my AMEX platinum in Samsung Pay at an NFC-enabled supermarket, with the receipt reading: "AMEX card - CONTACTLESS AMEX".

Is this the result we've been looking for specifically, or is this just the standard AMEX tap language for MST as always?

In case the answer involves cardpeek, the physical card has not yet arrived; as the number itself was carried over from my previous gold card when I upgraded, I added the number recently to SP after the upgrade was approved which resulted in a Platinum card for in-app display, not gold.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I just tapped my AMEX platinum in Samsung Pay at an NFC-enabled supermarket, with the receipt reading: "AMEX card - CONTACTLESS AMEX".

Is this the result we've been looking for specifically, or is this just the standard AMEX tap language for MST as always?

In case the answer involves cardpeek, the physical card has not yet arrived; as the number itself was carried over from my previous gold card when I upgraded, I added the number recently to SP after the upgrade was approved which resulted in a Platinum card for in-app display, not gold.
I'm pretty sure MST would not count as a tap, most likely it will be counted as a swipe.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
I'm pretty sure MST would not count as a tap, most likely it will be counted as a swipe.
Correct but I think they mean MSD not MST. That receipt data isn't enough to tell either way.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:28 am

Manager at CVS confirmed to me today that both NFC and EMV would he enabled by January. "Everything this terminal can do the chip cards, and Apple pay will be working by January 1st at the latest" is what she told me.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Manager at CVS confirmed to me today that both NFC and EMV would he enabled by January. "Everything this terminal can do the chip cards, and Apple pay will be working by January 1st at the latest" is what she told me.
I see many CVS on the MasterCard contactless locator already, but none near me yet, although it has not been updated yet this month, but was updated like on the November 25th, so very late and may not be updated again until late December. It's very good that CVS is turning it back on, and that probably means Target will actually support Apple Pay next year. ^ CVS seems like a very strong MCX member and is even testing currentc in Columbus OH. http://currentc.com/ but so is Target.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
Didn't see the stickers at my local one the other day. We'll see if they meet that deadline.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So NFC might actually be working at Walmart now, according to this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25831561-post2416.html

Can anyone confirm?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Skymiles
So NFC might actually be working at Walmart now, according to this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25831561-post2416.html

Can anyone confirm?
They have replaced all of the Mx915 and Mx860 here with Ingenico isc250

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.