Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
This thread is a continuation of the discussion posted here from 12.08.2012 - 5.13.2014: Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.05%/2.1% travel credits)

Current offer for Arrival Plus is 70K pts w/$5K spend & AF waived 1st year.

Barclays says that you earn “miles” but you’re actually earning cash back with the card since you can’t transfer your Barclays miles to airlines. But you can redeem them for statement credits at 0.5 cents per mile (poor value) or 1.05 cent per mile if you redeem for travel.

You get 5% of your miles back if you redeem for travel, so 40,000 miles gets you $400 towards travel and 2,000 miles back (5% of your miles back). You must have at least 10K 'miles' in your acct if you wish to redeem as a travel credit. 2500 'miles' can be redeemed for a stmt credit though.

If you want, you can redeem miles to cover a portion of a travel charge instead of the full amount. For example, if you have 80k miles and a $740 airline charge, you can choose to redeem just 70k to cover $700 of the charge.

You earn 2X miles on all purchases, so you’re effectively getting 2% cash back for each purchase. But since you get 5% of your miles back when you redeem for travel, this is effectively a 2.1% cash back card when miles are redeemed for travel.

This makes the Barclaycard Arrival PlusTM World Elite MasterCard® (with 2.1% cash back for travel) better than the Capital One Venture card which offers only 2 miles per $1 or 2% cash back, only if you spend $30k+ per year after first year, because Arrival Plus AF is $30 more than Venture.

If you receive a call from 302-255-8000 after applying for this or any other Barclay's card, it is a legit number! You can also call them back directly at 866-951-1437.

Very Old Wiki Info ---
Regarding official company representatives
Note that there is an official procedure for company representatives to register themselves with the FlyerTalk Community Director and verify their credentials. When that process is completed, the username will turn green in posts, rather than the standard blue.

Anyone who does not appear in green has not followed this procedure. Those posts should be considered the same as any other user's posts. It is important to remember that the moderation team does not generally monitor the veracity of any posts; it is up to you to judge a poster's content and history yourself.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

="3"%Successful
Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $100 charge for 10K mile redemption
  • 9/11 Museum and Memorial - NYC
  • Accuracy Limo (via Square, Salt Lake City, UT limo service)
  • ACE Adventures (West Virginia White Water Rafting), had to call in to get it processed manually
  • agoda.com
  • AirAsia Flights (airasia.com)
  • airbnb bookings
  • airbnb GC purchased on United MPX site
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Amazing Bike Tours Thailand
  • AA Gift Card
  • American Airlines telephone booking (including booking fee)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Arrival+ Annual Fee
  • Argosy Cruises (SEA, classified as RECREATION)
  • Autoeurope.com
  • BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) San Francisco
  • Balloons over Bagan
  • Bieber bus tickets
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • Burj Khalifa observation decks
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Carmel Limo (NYC car service)
  • carrentals.com
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Chinese Visa Application Fees (had to call in. Credit showed up in account in 2 business days. See Post 912 and 921 for details)
  • City Taxi (Tampa)
  • CostcoTravel
  • Cotai Waterjet (Hong Kong)
  • CT Limo
  • Daily Getaways purchase of HHonors points
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Disneyland Hong Kong (Manual redemption required)
  • DriveNow - all locations in EU/US
  • Dublin Bus Tours Hop on, Hop off (Green)
  • Eiffel Tower (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • Enterprise rent-a-car, paid at the counter when returning the car (used Chase United Visa initially for primary coverage, but asked to pay with a different card when returning the car)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • Europcar.com
  • Expedia.com
  • Hertz Rent-a-Car (booked on hertz.com)
  • Hong Kong Airport Express Pass
  • Hotel bookings through Rocketmiles (even refundable bookings or those tied to other promotions)
  • Hotels.com
  • Hotwire
  • ItaliaRail (online booking agency for TrenItalia)
  • LA Swamp Tours, Steamboat cruise, Haunted History Tours (New Orleans)
  • Lahaina-Maui Ferry Tickets - booked online at www.go-lanai.com
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
    Las Vegas show tickets booked online (Mandalay Bay Box office)
  • Limo Charges - Two limo charges that I made in March PRIOR the the recent changes to what qualifies as "Travel" showed up as eligible travel charges. I guess with the changes to what's covered, and for how long, these got pulled back in.
  • Lyft
  • M-Life advance reservation deposit
  • Montway Auto Transport (deposit)
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • New York Waterways Ferry (between NJ and NYC)
  • Ngong Ping 360 (Hong Kong)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • Norwegian Cruise Line (deposits and payments)
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • NYC Taxi
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • ORCA card for Seattle area tolls (considered the very typical GOVERNMENT SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Paris RATP Metro/VATP (buy 10-ticket pack for >$25 and save cost)
  • PeruRail (Machu Picchu train)
  • PMRF Beach Cottages (Kauai)
  • Priceline
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • rail europe on Travelocity
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Safari Helicopter Tour (Kauai)
  • Sandals.com resort booking (unique vacations) was not redeemable last year. Is redeemable online now
  • SEASTREAK LLC - NYC (Commuter Ferri)
  • Singapore Cable Car
  • Southwest $100 gift card
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • Spirit of NY Dinner Cruises - www.spiritcruises.com, which have cruises in several other cities as well.
  • Starwood Vacation Ownership (SPG Timeshare) Westin Princeville Kauai (coded as Timeshare).
  • St Pauls Cathedral (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE), Worked in Cancun.
  • Taxi in Zürich
  • Top of the Rock tickets - NYC
  • Trenitalia Online
  • Trimet (Portland OR public transportation)
  • Trip Advisor Rental
  • TurboJET (Hong Kong)
  • Uber
  • Uber GC through MPX $100 (re-confirmed 11/1/2018, using Arrival Premier)
  • United Baggage Fee
  • Universal Studio Orlando tickets (had to call in)
  • Viator (sightseeing/tours)
  • Victoria Clipper (passenger ferry)
  • Wedding at the Stratosphere's Chapel in the Clouds (billed as stratosphere)
  • Windsor Castle (manual redemption by phone allowed)
  • Wine purchases from different wine tasting rooms
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) - [[COLOR="Red"]reconfirmed 10/5/15]
  • Zipcar

="3"%Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 $100 cannot be reimbursed)
    Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Broadmoor Hotel Food and Beverage (Colorado Spring, CO)
  • budgetair.co.uk (charged >$200)
  • Car2go
  • De Palm Tours, Aruba (classified as Recreation. Called Barclay twice.)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Evan Evans Sightseeing tours (UK based)- http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk
  • Fastrak tag autoload for San Francisco bridge tolls ($25)
  • Global Entry
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Homeaway.com, posts as real estate. Barclays said they'd make a one-time exception but future purchases won't count as travel.
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Hotels.com Gift Card
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • Malaysian Overnight Train KUL-SIN (ktmb.com.my)
  • Monterey Aquarium
  • Parking at DCA - $136 (7/9/19)
  • Parking at HSV ($96 in parking at Huntsville International Airport)
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at LAS
  • Parking at LGA $204
  • Parking at Port Imperial, Weehawken, NJ
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Space Needle and Chihuly Garden Tickets
  • Starwood points purchase (BUSINESS SERVICES NOT ELSEWHERE CLASSIFIED)
  • Taxi Magic /Curb- Taxi service
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • UBER eGift Card (bought through the UBER app) for $100 - Not coded as "travel," so couldn't redeem online and they wouldn't do it over the phone, either.

Airlines that post purchases of multiple tickets as one amount or split them:

One Amount
BA (USD based award ticket)

Multiple Transactions
UA (award)
DL (award)

Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival Plus, now 70K w/$5k spend

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
I actually just state my own income. To be honest though, I have not really been turned down for any credit I've applied for except for cards that now fall under known norms (like the recent Chase rule or a 2nd Barclays US Airways card).

I guess I could include my wife's income, I just know that at a certain point, credit card companies may ask to see proof of income. I am 100% honest about my income with all of my applications, but if I was asked to provide documentation it could be a bit of annoyance as I work for myself and receive revenue from a variety of different sources.
Fair enough. My wife makes the big bucks in our relationship so I'm not sure my approval record would be as good without her income included. And I imagine providing what you file for taxes would be a good objective summary of your income.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: DL, AA
Here's my churning history with this card for those interested:

Me:
Nov 2013 - Approved for A+(my 1st)
Feb 2015 - Closed A+(my 1st)
June 2015 - Approved for A+(my 2nd)
Jan 2016 - Will probably close my 2nd in the next couple weeks

Wife:
June 2014 - Approved for A+(Wife's 1st)
July 2015 - Closed A+(Wife's 1st)
Jan 2016 - Approved for A+(Wife's 2nd)

I'll probably continue with this rough schedule until barclays denies an app.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:17 pm

I have about 82K A+ miles which is worth $820 in travel reimbursement + you get 5% miles after you reimburse towards travel. If I buy a refundable ticket around $900, how soon can I redeem the miles? I would think as soon as it is posted to your account, at the most in 2-3 days. After that, how soon can I refund the ticket? I have heard about negative balance. I don't understand how there would be a negative balance if 5% bonus miles are given after the initial miles are redeemed. If you wait too long, use the bonus miles and then return the ticket, you could have negative balance.

Last edited by nfpa70e; Jan 7, 2016 at 7:47 pm
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
I guess we can't pay annual fee by points anymore? I was able to do last year but this time it doesn't give me a travel option.
If you have a card that already has the new terms you cannot redeem for the AF because the fee is below the new $100 threshold for redemptions.

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
I have about 82K A+ miles which is worth $820 in travel reimbursement + you get 5% miles after you reimburse towards travel. If I buy a refundable ticket around $900, how soon can I redeem the miles?
You can redeem once the purchase posts to your account.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:25 am

Anyone else have their available credit reduced to $0 online? All of mine and my wifes are showing $0 available, which is incorrect. I am hoping for a system upgrade here, as this week has been bad enough already.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Anyone else have their available credit reduced to $0 online? All of mine and my wifes are showing $0 available, which is incorrect. I am hoping for a system upgrade here, as this week has been bad enough already.
Nope. My available credit is correct.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
Nope. My available credit is correct.
Thanks, just called and yup all mine and wife's were closed by bank. What a wonderful Friday. Thankfully I will be in Philippines next week and all the cute little pinays in AC will take my mind off of all these shutdowns.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:00 am

I had my Barclay card replaced due to suspicious activity about 1.5 months ago. I didn'tg report anything and didn't see anything. Then yesterday, along with many others, my Serve account was closed. I've used my Arrival+ card as my main card and also for $1500/mo Serve loads with no problems.

There is one report of someone's Barclay's brand cards being closed shortly after his Serve account was shutdown. Now I'm concerned Barclay with shutdown my Arrival+ card and lose my $1300 worth of points.

Are there any tips to use those points up quick? I purchased a United flight ticket for $700 and will use that to redeem against. But now I have $600 left of points to use up :/

I will probably fly Southwest Airlines often later next year, maybe buy some miles to stcock up on?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Thanks, just called and yup all mine and wife's were closed by bank. What a wonderful Friday. Thankfully I will be in Philippines next week and all the cute little pinays in AC will take my mind off of all these shutdowns.
What reason did they give you? Were you doing a lot of ms on it?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: SPG-Hyatt-IHG-UA-AA-MR-UR
Speaking of Arrival Plus accounts being closed, has anyone's accounts been flagged/closed for funding too many checking accounts?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by wildchartermage
Is anyone able to add authorized users without SSN (foreigners) to their Barclays Arrival +?
I did... all they ask for AU on the website is a first & last name.. no SSN needed.. have the card and everything
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Last year I MSed $6,200 worth of A+ credit

This year I'm up to $315 so far.. may slow it down due to Serve closures, we shall see
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Member

To help a little with the previous questions, my Barclay Arrival Card was recently closed and I had to really fight for the unredeemed points.

For the guy worried about his unredeemed balance, don't forget that buying a refundable Southwest Airlines ticket, redeeming the points, and cancelling the ticket just before the flight to get a refund of the amount paid for the ticket is a viable strategy to quickly redeem points.

I am not sure which of the many possible reasons caused the account closure. As one of the non-bitter posters said in the AMEX Blue thread, hey I was the poster child for account closure. After my unlimited AMEX Blue was closed, the Barclays Arrival was my only viable MS card, so I greatly increased the volume. Other than my $50K capped Amex Blue and the 10K on Club Carlson to get the free night, I am out of the MS game unless I get the Bank of America travel card rate up to 2.5%. If everyone else can make the numbers work, more power to you, but I find my redemption costs to be 1.25% or so for prepaid cards when I throw in gas, so it is just not the same as it was at 5% redemption rates. MS is of course perfect to meet minimum spends and great bonus offers, but new cards are hard to come by after churning for years and there are just not the great 75K -100K offers any more for getting new cards, anyway.

Anyway, for analysis, I was doing about 30K a month of spending, almost all MS, on a 35K credit line. I paid the account balance down constantly, so I never had a balance of more than 10K at any time and never carried a balance on which I paid interest. Of course I screwed up a time or two and did 40K spend, but it was usually 30K. Before the old AMEX Blue closure, I had one 10K or so a month on this Arrival card, so the 30K a month on the Arrival Card probably went on for a little over a year before closure.

Of the 30K a month, probably 28K-29K was MS. 10K - 15K was for the purchase of 1-year CDs at the one bank that still allows this (unfortunately it is limited to $500 per CD, so it was a lot of purchases). The rest of the MS was purchases of $500 cards, generally involving the purchase of two of these cards at a time with the purchase of normal consumable items for a charge slightly exceeding $1,000. The prepaid cards were either loaded to Bluebird or turned into money orders between $999.30 - $1,000 each (slightly different amount for each money order). The money orders were mailed to Barclaycard to pay the credit card balance, with one money order in each envelope.

A long time ago, I was able to redeem all of the points for legitimate travel, but a combination of less paid travel and the restriction on redemptions by Barclay meant that in the last few months before closure, 50-75% of the redemption amounts were on refundable Southwest Airlines tickets with no actual flight taken. Fortunately, I had redeemed all but about $600 of reward points, when the card was rejected at CVS and when I logged in, my available credit was $0. I called and the automated voice said, "This card has been closed".

I requested my $600, and the nice telephone agents put in a special redemption request even though I had no more eligible travel costs. The not-so-nice folks in Redemption said no to that, and no to a half-price redemption as a statement credit.

I wrote a sob story to CFPB and said it was unfair that Barclays got to earn fees for the charges but did not allow me to redeem my points. A few days ago I received a very nice letter from Barclaycard with a check for the full $600 (plus the pro-rated annual fee that I also requested) with the language in the letter stating that they owed me nothing but they were doing this as a courtesy.

None of us have the same set of facts, so data points are not overly useful, but there are so many recent questions that I thought this might be useful. CFPB is great, so don't hesitate to use this service. It gets matters sent up the chain at the credit card company.

Last edited by Andy2; Jan 11, 2016 at 8:24 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by tracerit
I had my Barclay card replaced due to suspicious activity about 1.5 months ago. I didn'tg report anything and didn't see anything. Then yesterday, along with many others, my Serve account was closed. I've used my Arrival+ card as my main card and also for $1500/mo Serve loads with no problems.

There is one report of someone's Barclay's brand cards being closed shortly after his Serve account was shutdown. Now I'm concerned Barclay with shutdown my Arrival+ card and lose my $1300 worth of points.

Are there any tips to use those points up quick? I purchased a United flight ticket for $700 and will use that to redeem against. But now I have $600 left of points to use up :/

I will probably fly Southwest Airlines often later next year, maybe buy some miles to stcock up on?
Strangely (same exact timing 1.5 mos ago) I had my card and not my wife's AU card replaced without any notice. It happened a few days after I funded a bank account with a large dollar amount. I also mail in MO's on a very consistent basis to pay off this card. Still alive though....
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:57 am

Is there any way to transfer A+ accumulated points to another card account? I would earn the points with purely business expenses and do not want to mix our personal travel expenses on there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.