Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Superorb
These are Amex-network cards, issued and administered by Wells Fargo. American Express acts as the transaction processing network, in the same way that VISA process transactions for other Wells Fargo cards. Amex-network cards do not count against your four credit card limit with American Express, nor will you deal with American Express customer service.

There have been several data points that people on work visas don't qualify, only US citizens and permanent residents do. However some people with visas have also received this card.

If you have some relationship with wells fargo, less verification info is asked so keeping a checking with WF can be a good way to improve your chances.

Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime. Some people have also reported one per address so YMMV.

You can have both types of Propel cards open simultaneously.

It easily takes 90-120 days after meeting the spend for the bonus to post.

Airline Fee Credit

Once per anniversary year.

It appears that one can wait until after the annual fee is charged, the get a second reimbursement of an airline expenditure, and then cancel to get the annual fee refunded.

Examples of airline related charges that have been reimbursed:

1. Gift cards of most airlines
2. BA award ticket taxes
3. AA award ticket taxes (booked via phone)
4. LH award redeposit fee (charged via phone)
5. Amazon GC through UA shopping app.

Examples of airline related charges that have NOT been reimbursed:

1. AS award date change fee ($125, charged online)
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
Just got instantly approved for the Propel card with CL of 8g. That was after I bothered to go to a branch thinking it would be good to open an account in order to get the Propel and I wanted the 100 bonus, but that is no longer on offer.

I did learn though that they know of me (have my social) through my IRA that was acquired by Wachovia and then Wells Fargo as custodian. Brokerage accounts do not qualify for the 25% extra points deal however.
Old May 15, 2014, 2:18 pm

I got a letter today asking for past 2 years of tax returns. Kind of a hassle but I hate to waste a credit inquiry.

If you have not already done so, I wouldn't apply for this card unless you have a relationship with WF. Unless you enjoy hoop jumping.
Old May 15, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
Who do they pull from in NY
I believe Equifax since I received a letter yesterday from Wells Fargo advising me of my Equifax credit score.
Old May 15, 2014, 8:07 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by mikescags
She came back and apologized but said she had to decline me for too many apps recently amongst other things (13 apps in the last year, 2 in March and 1 in Jan most recently). I told her how disappointed I was and that I was really looking forward to some of the features for an upcoming trip and she said ok let me take another look at it. Called me back 15 minutes later and she approved me for a small 2500 limit.
persistence ^ thx for reporting this success!
Old May 16, 2014, 12:44 am

Trying to re-confirm -----Anyone else in NY can confirm Equifax as one other said Experian in NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLP007 View Post
Who do they pull from in NY

I believe Equifax since I received a letter yesterday from Wells Fargo advising me of my Equifax credit score.--THANKS
Old May 16, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Experian in Arizona

My credit monitoring pinged that Wells ran Experian where I live.

BTW- unless you REALLY want this card and/or bank at Wells, this application process is a total pain in the butt, especially if you are self employed, have irregular income, or can't prove income in conventional ways.

Data point, don't bank personally at Wells, but have multiple business accounts there and 780 fico, 3% utilization

5/5- Applied, got the pending need more information e-mail
5/6- Asked for status, waited on hold 10+ minutes, got the drill on recent accounts/inquiries. Asked for full income verification and given fax number.
5/7- Sent tax returns from 2012/2013 extension, called back and told an underwriter would get back with me (they didn't)
5/8- Called application line, they said that I needed to send 2 years tax returns along with pay stub (then gave me the fax number, which I promptly faxed).
5/9- Called to follow up again- underwriter didn't like NOL (net operating loss) carry over, basically wiping out net income. Explained what that was from (2009/2010 bloodbath in economy). Told to fax where that loss arrived from. So, more faxing.
5/13- Underwriter said thanks for the work sheet showing where NOL came from, but we still need 2011 (2013 on extensions) 1040's.
5/15- Faxed 2011 returns, finally got underwriter to review. Approved for 14k, card in 7-10 days.

All I have to say is that this card better be worth it; I've had better mortgage applications/stips/approvals than this card.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:38 pm

Regarding the $100 Incidental Airline Fee reimbursement, what does and does not qualify for reimbursement?

Here’s the fine print from the WF site: “Qualifying charges are domestic or international airline transactions (excluding ticket purchases) that are processed by retailers or airlines under the merchant code for American Express in the categories of airlines and air carriers”. So should the following types of transactions qualify?

Checked-baggage fees (should be “yes”)
On-board food and beverage purchases (should be “yes”)
Purchase of in-flight Internet Service (maybe, depending on merchant)
Purchase of in-flight movies, games, etc. on entertainment system (should be "yes")
Airline lounge day-pass purchase (maybe?)
Charge paid at the airport to upgrade to another cabin (maybe?)
Fee paid to pick a specific “premium” seat in coach (should be “yes”)
Fee paid to Southwest for “Early Boarding” (maybe?)
Fee paid to Spirit to use the restroom (just kidding … I think)

Any other common types of charges that would qualify? I realize it all depends on how the merchant codes the transaction, but what should or should not qualify for the reimbursement?

While going through the fine print for the Airline Benefit, I came across this tasty tidbit:

“Taxability: We will report the Airline Benefit as income to the Internal
Revenue Service, state, and local tax authorities if required by applicable law."

[rant] They’ve got to be kidding! This benefit is nothing more than a rebate. Rebates have been held to be nontaxable. How can they possibly say that they will report this rebate as income to the IRS? [/rant]
Old May 17, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Tried ordering a gift card online from WF using the Propel American Express card. Apparently you have to use a WF or Wachovia Visa or MasterCard. Won't accept the Propel American Express card as payment. Am I missing something?
Old May 17, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: spg gold
I can't understand how to use these rewards. Just tell we where to look, and I will go study.
Old May 17, 2014, 1:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I can't understand how to use these rewards. Just tell we where to look, and I will go study.
www.mywellsfargorewards.com

But you need to have an account to access certain portions of the site.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: spg gold
Thanks, looks like you can simply use rewards for a statement credit to offset any purchase.(one cent per point) Also gift cards at one cent. They don't have a mobile app so I can't see all options, when I get to a real computer I can do some more research. I'm sure travel redemptions will be a better value.
Old May 17, 2014, 8:20 pm

If you've already gotten a sign-in bonus with another AMEX card, will you still receive the sign-in bonus on this card? When I try to apply for other AMEX cards, the sign-in bonus doesn't appear on the application page because they've identified me as an AMEX customer, but not the case with this one.
Old May 18, 2014, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by ragnarkar
If you've already gotten a sign-in bonus with another AMEX card, will you still receive the sign-in bonus on this card? When I try to apply for other AMEX cards, the sign-in bonus doesn't appear on the application page because they've identified me as an AMEX customer, but not the case with this one.
This isn't a Centurian Bank card, it's just a Wells Fargo card licensed for use under the Amex network. That said, you should be able to see the bonus on other Amex landing pages by using Incognito mode.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:01 pm

Talking Gift Card

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
Regarding the $100 Incidental Airline Fee reimbursement, what does and does not qualify for reimbursement?

Here’s the fine print from the WF site: “Qualifying charges are domestic or international airline transactions (excluding ticket purchases) that are processed by retailers or airlines under the merchant code for American Express in the categories of airlines and air carriers”. So should the following types of transactions qualify?

Checked-baggage fees (should be “yes”)
On-board food and beverage purchases (should be “yes”)
Purchase of in-flight Internet Service (maybe, depending on merchant)
Purchase of in-flight movies, games, etc. on entertainment system (should be "yes")
Airline lounge day-pass purchase (maybe?)
Charge paid at the airport to upgrade to another cabin (maybe?)
Fee paid to pick a specific “premium” seat in coach (should be “yes”)
Fee paid to Southwest for “Early Boarding” (maybe?)
Fee paid to Spirit to use the restroom (just kidding … I think)

Any other common types of charges that would qualify? I realize it all depends on how the merchant codes the transaction, but what should or should not qualify for the reimbursement?

While going through the fine print for the Airline Benefit, I came across this tasty tidbit:

“Taxability: We will report the Airline Benefit as income to the Internal
Revenue Service, state, and local tax authorities if required by applicable law."

[rant] They’ve got to be kidding! This benefit is nothing more than a rebate. Rebates have been held to be nontaxable. How can they possibly say that they will report this rebate as income to the IRS? [/rant]

The REAL question is whether you can purchase an airline gift card?

----- Update: According to 1 post on fatwallet.com, Southwest Airlines gift cards do qualify! http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/fina...761/#m18478761

Last edited by maverick915; May 18, 2014 at 12:07 pm Reason: Answered my own question
Old May 18, 2014, 3:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ragnarkar
When I try to apply for other AMEX cards, the sign-in bonus doesn't appear on the application page because they've identified me as an AMEX customer, but not the case with this one.
This card is issued and administered by Wells Fargo, not by American Express. Amex functions only as the transaction processor, the same as MasterCard or VISA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.