Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Superorb
These are Amex-network cards, issued and administered by Wells Fargo. American Express acts as the transaction processing network, in the same way that VISA process transactions for other Wells Fargo cards. Amex-network cards do not count against your four credit card limit with American Express, nor will you deal with American Express customer service.

There have been several data points that people on work visas don't qualify, only US citizens and permanent residents do. However some people with visas have also received this card.

If you have some relationship with wells fargo, less verification info is asked so keeping a checking with WF can be a good way to improve your chances.

Wells fargo also restricts CC signup bonuses to 1 per person lifetime. Some people have also reported one per address so YMMV.

You can have both types of Propel cards open simultaneously.

It easily takes 90-120 days after meeting the spend for the bonus to post.

Airline Fee Credit

Once per anniversary year.

It appears that one can wait until after the annual fee is charged, the get a second reimbursement of an airline expenditure, and then cancel to get the annual fee refunded.

Examples of airline related charges that have been reimbursed:

1. Gift cards of most airlines
2. BA award ticket taxes
3. AA award ticket taxes (booked via phone)
4. LH award redeposit fee (charged via phone)
5. Amazon GC through UA shopping app.

Examples of airline related charges that have NOT been reimbursed:

1. AS award date change fee ($125, charged online)
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 40k/$3k-3mo Propel World & 20k/$3k-3mo Propel 365 Amex

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 7:20 pm

I've had the card for a few days -- maybe a week. Received a notice in today's mail assigning a PIN to my card. This is the PIN that's to be used for Chip & PIN transactions. There is no way to change this PIN to one of my own choosing. I confirmed that with a telephone CS rep. This is pretty surprising to me. I hope I don't get amnesia at the wrong time, trying to remember a randomly assigned PIN.

I guess I could always write the PIN on the back of the card. (j/k)
Old May 27, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Originally Posted by xienon
Seeing the same thing $1 = 1 point when redeeming for airfare. Has anyone who applied recently seen $1.5 = 1 point?
I just got the Propel World AMEX in the mail today. I also have a Wells Fargo Visa linked to the same rewards program. The rewards site now has both my Visa and AMEX listed. I just checked and I still get 1.5 cents per point + $24 processing for a flight redemption.

From purely a math standpoint, and if I understand the programme correctly, offering 1 cent per point for flights implies that it is always an inferior option to a point redemption for statement credit:

Assume the point balance is 40,000 and the point exchange is 1 cent per point for airfare, then

Option 1: Redeem 40,000 points for a $400 or flight, remaining balance 0
Option 2: purchase a $400 flight using the card, earn 1,200 points for flight purchase, redeem 40,000 points for $400 statement credit, remaining balance 1,200

In both scenarios, the flight is paid for with points (albeit with different methods), but with option 2 one also earns points for the flight purchase.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:16 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by TWAforever
From purely a math standpoint, and if I understand the programme correctly, offering 1 cent per point for flights implies that it is always an inferior option to a point redemption for statement credit:
Not to mention that most of us would consider booking flights using a bank's travel portal inferior to just booking directly from the airline's own web site.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:31 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
Originally Posted by dw
Not to mention that most of us would consider booking flights using a bank's travel portal inferior to just booking directly from the airline's own web site.
yeah no kidding, this is a bit of a let down. at this point might as well redeem for CB since you can always get a much better deal booking elsewhere.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:24 am

Denied. Had banking relationship for ~3 months

91 days between Apps.

17 inquiries in last 12 months.

I think I need to cool off for a while now to let my inquiries (All Ex.) fall off. See you all in 6-12 months!
Old May 28, 2014, 12:38 pm

Approved for Propel World. Only relationship with Wells Fargo is a 2 yr old mortgage. Woot.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:49 pm

Can't tell if I'm approved or not. The phone line says approved, but for the same credit line as my WF card 6mo ago.....

EDIT: Called the number in my pending application email. It was approved, with the same limit as my WF 5%. Just a coincidence.

Last edited by tjbrooks; May 28, 2014 at 5:19 pm Reason: added info
Old May 28, 2014, 6:26 pm

Denied.

Credit over 750; only 7 inquiries since 1/1/13, about 98 days since last app.

What is the point of looking at my credit score if the bank wants me to also have a relationship with them?

Annoyed at the denial, but seems out of my hands. If they don't want my business, they don't get it.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by TWAforever
I just got the Propel World AMEX in the mail today. I also have a Wells Fargo Visa linked to the same rewards program. The rewards site now has both my Visa and AMEX listed. I just checked and I still get 1.5 cents per point + $24 processing for a flight redemption.
Your redemption value will depend on how much you spend each year. I put over $50K per year on my Wells Fargo Visa and about a year and a half ago they sent me a letter indicating I was a high transactor and that my redemption value for travel was going up to 1.75. It was good they did this becasue I was going to be changing cards. I recetnly received my Propel World card and with the 40K point bonus it will equal out to a $700 ticket.

Wells appears to have made some pretty good improvements to their rewards program recently. It used to be that you had to use a minimum of 25K point to book domestic travel, now you can use any number of points towards any travel, you just pay the difference.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Aadvantage Platinum
I thought I'd just gotten lucky getting the Propel since my Fico ain't all that. Today I decided to set up an account to pay the credit card bill and see charges. By the way one has to call in to do this. They'll tell you to log in with your social and they give you a temp password.

So upon logging in I notice that they have my IRA linked. This is an IRA that was with Wachovia now Wells Fargo is a custodian of this IRA though it's run by the original managers elsewhere. I was told it won't help me qualify for bigger bonuses due to the custodial status. Yet, I can see the total that I have right there next to my credit card charges. Weird to mix the two.

This must be why Wells Fargo gave me the card since otherwise I have no banking relationship with them. I don't think they're approving willy nilly like I did at first.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:15 pm

Does anyone know if I can buy Amex Gift Cards with the Wells Fargo Propel as purchase and not cash advance? I called to ask but they are pretty clueless. They do not allow setting the cash advance to zero.

Thanks to the person who mentioned their PIN coming under separate cover. I might have ignored the envelope otherwise. Luckily I like my PIN number.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Confirming I also rcvd $100 credit for $100 SWA GC promptly.

Did you simply purchase the Southwest Gift Card online with your Wells Fargo card and get the credit or was there some other step needed like a button press on their website?
Old May 29, 2014, 6:22 am

Just want to add my data point concerning the speculation about the need to have a relationship with WF to improve one's chances of getting the Propel World MC: I do not now have, nor have I ever had, a relationship with WF/Wachovia other than my recently acquired Propel World MC. Other than submitting the application, the only thing I had to do to be approved was fax them a copy of my social security card.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:55 am

Can i use the points to redeem for any charges i put on the card? Example, restaurants, bus, taxi, trains, hotel, museums entrance fee.
If i can use the points for statement credit, what rate do i get?
Old May 29, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by wholelottamiles
Did you simply purchase the Southwest Gift Card online with your Wells Fargo card and get the credit or was there some other step needed like a button press on their website?
It was just that simple,
no other step needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.