Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
The Register (UK) also ran an article which gives Coin a bad review.

As with everyone so far, the lack of EMV is a deal killer in this idea. Even if this is only intended for the US market, the US market itself is also moving to EMV as we speak, so why bother with improving upon dying technology?

It's like how the ZIP drive flop all over again - trying to introduce dying technology too late when the industry was already moving to faster, cheaper and larger capacity CD/DVD-RWs and USB flash drives.

Ever wondered what happened to Citi 2G cards that were supposed to be new wave in credit card technology?

Now you can't find anything regarding Citi 2G on Google, it's likely that the idea has been scrapped by Citi. Now Dynamics (the inventor of that switchable credit card) is trying to things their own way by issuing Dynamics ePlate on their own but nary any mention about this card here on FT. It wouldn't surprise me that this too fails underwater as well.

I foresee Coin being exactly the same thing.

Last edited by kebosabi; Nov 18, 2013 at 11:19 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:36 am

I can't work out how they intend to provide EMV in the future. Pipe dreams... and reduces their credibility even more.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kebosabi
The Register (UK) also ran an article which gives Coin a bad review.

As with everyone so far, the lack of EMV is a deal killer in this idea. Even if this is only intended for the US market, the US market itself is also moving to EMV as we speak, so why bother with improving upon dying technology?

It's like how the ZIP drive flop all over again - trying to introduce dying technology too late when the industry was already moving to faster, cheaper and larger capacity CD/DVD-RWs and USB flash drives.

Ever wondered what happened to Citi 2G cards that were supposed to be new wave in credit card technology?

Now you can't find anything regarding Citi 2G on Google, it's likely that the idea has been scrapped by Citi. Now Dynamics (the inventor of that switchable credit card) is trying to things their own way by issuing Dynamics ePlate on their own but nary any mention about this card here on FT. It wouldn't surprise me that this too fails underwater as well.

I foresee Coin being exactly the same thing.
Judging by when I was there 2 weeks ago, it seems to move very slowly...
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Judging by when I was there 2 weeks ago, it seems to move very slowly...
There? It?

Clarification is useful. My best guess is UK, EMV. And that's why contactless for small purchases is key. EMV is slower than magstripe. But the security benefits are worth it.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
I can't work out how they intend to provide EMV in the future. Pipe dreams... and reduces their credibility even more.
There really isn't any way they could possible make an EMV version. EMV cards are designed to be uncloneable.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
There really isn't any way they could possible make an EMV version. EMV cards are designed to be uncloneable.
Sure you can, EMV card that is tied to a virtual account with them, and charges get passed, in turn, on to your real account. Same as Google Wallet, and the RIGHT way to implement a service like this. Unfortunately, there's a spread in offering that service that makes it completely unsustainable - Google does it to market other products. It has a marginal loss - every transaction adds to the losses.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alexmt
Sure you can, EMV card that is tied to a virtual account with them, and charges get passed, in turn, on to your real account. Same as Google Wallet, and the RIGHT way to implement a service like this. Unfortunately, there's a spread in offering that service that makes it completely unsustainable - Google does it to market other products. It has a marginal loss - every transaction adds to the losses.
Problem with doing that is that its hardly going to replace your wallet. You would still need your loyalty cards, they probably won't take American Express as COIN would be making a loss, so in the end it wouldn't replace anything.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Problem with doing that is that its hardly going to replace your wallet. You would still need your loyalty cards, they probably won't take American Express as COIN would be making a loss, so in the end it wouldn't replace anything.
Like I said, every transaction would be a marginal loss. You better believe Google isn't getting as much from Mastercard as they pay for each Google Wallet transaction. Every time someone taps their phone to pay with Google Wallet, Google incurs a loss. They still do it, for marketing reasons.

I said how it would be POSSIBLE with EMV, not if the business case could be made.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: Jet Airways

Looks like this is going to be yet another trial and error..
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: A Few Here, A Few There
I ordered one for the heck of it, might as well get it half off just in case it ends up being awesome.

They say they are still at least 2 iterations away from any type of finalized product, so who knows it may change to add more features, guess we'll know more come July '14 ish.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:32 pm
Suspended

I guess with the recent announcement from Visa & MC on Pin & chip card transition, this product is DOA.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 12:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 9Benua
I guess with the recent announcement from Visa & MC on Pin & chip card transition, this product is DOA.
What announcement?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 9Benua
Recent? If you mean the liability shift, that's been known for quite a while. One main reason I never signed up for Coin.

Last edited by LoneTree; Feb 8, 2014 at 2:04 am
Old Feb 8, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by PainCorp
What announcement?
http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...n-credit-card/
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by f0xx
Originally Posted by PainCorp
What announcement?
http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...n-credit-card/
This has been known for a few years now and isn't a recent announcement. That's probably why Coin mentions EMV in their FAQ.

But I agree, I don't see how Coin can take off without EMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.