Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Coin - All in one card

Looks like this might make it a little easier to carry around all our cards. Pre-order it for $55. Will ship in 2014. I'm in for 1.

You get $5 off your card if you refer someone. Feel free to conga.

Last edited by mia; Nov 15, 2013 at 9:07 am Reason: Remove referral link
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Probably should be in Travel Tech rather than Manufactured Spend?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
This is just a high-tech version of Wallaby?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:29 pm

Yeah.... Conga to give away $50...
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't display a network logo. How many retailers (especially ones which only accept cards on certain networks) will really take it?

I often try to use an Amex or Discover card someplace that doesn't take it, and they can tell that by looking at the card (at my talbe, in a restaurant, without having to go back to the register and come back and say "it didn't work"). But if I've mixed Visa, MC, Amex, and Discover cards on the same Coint card, the merchant is likely to be very confused, as am I.

And btw, the website linked above has an FAQ which is absolutely ridiculous: It answers:
What kind of cards can I use?
not with explainng whether it works with all networks, but just by saying gift cards, rewards cards, etc.

Also, if one of the cards you've got on it is declined, how likely is the merchant to accept you clicking something on the card and then handing it back to them saying "it's acting like another card now". Yeah, right!
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: all, none, somewhere in between
Took the Plunge

I took the plunge, and will report back. If anyone wants to use my referral, I'd appreciate it:

I see a different downside than most of those on the thread... I don't like the fee and the non-replaceable battery (will have to get one every 2 years).

That said, if nothing else it'll be a conversation starter, and I was POed when I forgot the card I needed to hit a bonus on a recent trip...

Last edited by philemer; Nov 14, 2013 at 10:09 pm Reason: Comm. links not allowed--try the SPAM forum for a Conga
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Also, if one of the cards you've got on it is declined, how likely is the merchant to accept you clicking something on the card and then handing it back to them saying "it's acting like another card now". Yeah, right!
Haha I have to agree that, as a merchant myself in the UK, I wouldn't be accepting it then. Its basically a cloned card. Its also no good as EMV is used everywhere other than the USA (and thats changing).

Although to be fair, my American Express (Not just my Amex but normally card I'm using) declines every so often and then works again when re-attempting the transaction seconds after, this is a common problem with EMV that you guys will encounter. Sometimes contactless will decline and say "DO NOT HONOUR" but then inserting the PIN being entered works fine.

I have to say the Amex,Discover/Diners,MC,Visa logo thing is a good thing in some ways. A couple of merchants who take Amex hate taking it and will occasionally say they don't take it (Even though they do), this would get around that as they wouldn't know what kind of card it was until after swiping it.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Coin - Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Sounds great. Only question I would ask is... All my CC's have a chip on it and most merchants here in Sweden have the chip function. Granted you can swipe if needed.. So one needs to wonder if they can add a chip function? One wonders...
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:01 pm

Besides the cost & battery, the big issue is definitely the lack of permanent numbers and a "card network" (i.e. how will a merchant know this card is really one they accept?). I think Wallaby at least has a permanent card number and an attached network.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
EMV would require it being able to emulate the internally store PIN on each card. That may be tough.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:32 pm

I will be more worried bringing this card to manuf. spending.
It is hard enough with regular CC with "name" and now we came up with funny looking card with no visa, mc, amex, discover whatever known logo...

but it does look cool maybe at restaurant.

wished that the card can do maximize rewards than the need to do manual selection prior paying.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by djrez4
EMV would require it being able to emulate the internally store PIN on each card. That may be tough.
Pretty much impossible without the card networks and banks co-operation..
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Aside from the lack of EMV I like it.

Going to check out Wallaby first, though I wonder about Wallaby's business model. Are they selling data?

Last edited by cuebert; Nov 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm
Old Nov 14, 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by decibel08
where do you see that? the website makes it sound "unlimited"

edit: oops, i see it now. the difference between the App and the actual card... doh
ordered mine this morning. is posting a referral link ok in the flyertalk t&c's these days? if not i can provide via pm for anyone interested.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:31 pm

Unless this manipulates the stripe data to remove the use IC where feasible service code, this won't work with EMV cards and even if it does that, in theory transactions where that data is manipulated should be declined I believe (I believe if the service code is changed, it'll decline in online authorisation).

Thus, this is dead-on-arrival given it's going to be coming right around the time of mass EMV rollout (Citi's already there...)

P.S. If they follow the merchant guidelines, which I know no one does, no merchant should accept this card.

P.P.S. just saw this thing isn't launching until next summer! It won't even get a few months of usability, by that point MOST US-issued cards will be EMV (Chase and Bank of America, at least, will likely be there and Citi already is. Wells Fargo may get there soon from what I'm hearing, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.