FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:54 pm
AA_EXP09
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kebosabi
The Register (UK) also ran an article which gives Coin a bad review.

As with everyone so far, the lack of EMV is a deal killer in this idea. Even if this is only intended for the US market, the US market itself is also moving to EMV as we speak, so why bother with improving upon dying technology?

It's like how the ZIP drive flop all over again - trying to introduce dying technology too late when the industry was already moving to faster, cheaper and larger capacity CD/DVD-RWs and USB flash drives.

Ever wondered what happened to Citi 2G cards that were supposed to be new wave in credit card technology?

Now you can't find anything regarding Citi 2G on Google, it's likely that the idea has been scrapped by Citi. Now Dynamics (the inventor of that switchable credit card) is trying to things their own way by issuing Dynamics ePlate on their own but nary any mention about this card here on FT. It wouldn't surprise me that this too fails underwater as well.

I foresee Coin being exactly the same thing.
Judging by when I was there 2 weeks ago, it seems to move very slowly...