Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:48 pm

Looks like the LoopPay fob is on sale for $10: http://www.looppay.com/products/#fob
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:02 pm

Canceled my coin pre-order last week. Had hte credit back on my card in a few days. from all the problems I have heard about this card, I am not sure it will ever perform flawlessly.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by billatq
Looks like the LoopPay fob is on sale for $10: http://www.looppay.com/products/#fob
In for one. $10 is easier to swallow for something that will probably have 1-2 years life (due to EMV).
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Trinob
Canceled my coin pre-order last week. Had hte credit back on my card in a few days. from all the problems I have heard about this card, I am not sure it will ever perform flawlessly.
How did you cancel yours? I want to cancel mine
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
In for one. $10 is easier to swallow for something that will probably have 1-2 years life (due to EMV).
1-2 years? 1-2 months is more like it. Even allowing for several months of delay from announced plans, these things will be useful until summer, at best.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
1-2 years? 1-2 months is more like it. Even allowing for several months of delay from announced plans, these things will be useful until summer, at best.
Best case estimates are still around 50% EMV enabled by the end of the year, hence the "1-2 years".
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:39 am

Best case estimates are still around 50% EMV enabled by the end of the year, hence the "1-2 years".
It doesn't take anywhere near 50% terminal penetration to render one of these useless. 10% of terminals should be sufficient to make these things useless.

I just ordered two. One for me and one for a friend. One, to play with the tech. Two, to use as a room key (hoping it works for that)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
How did you cancel yours? I want to cancel mine
I forwarded my original order confirmation to [email protected] and asked them to cancel it.

Thas was all I had to do on my part.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:57 pm

Mine actually arrived today. I haven't gone anywhere to use it, as I'm not going to take a special trip just to test it out. We'll see how it stands up over time.

I do wish that it would let you give a nickname to a CC. Even if it only showed while cycling through the cards. I understand the need for VISA or MC, etc to show when you hand it over. Just a little help while choosing would be nice.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by dakuda
Mine actually arrived today. I haven't gone anywhere to use it, as I'm not going to take a special trip just to test it out. We'll see how it stands up over time.

I do wish that it would let you give a nickname to a CC. Even if it only showed while cycling through the cards. I understand the need for VISA or MC, etc to show when you hand it over. Just a little help while choosing would be nice.
Wow this was so long ago. I requested my refund last year. Didn't know they were still working on this. Seems like something of a novelty now that will eventually wind up on the useless Brookstone shelf.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:08 pm

OMG this is getting sickening from a customer protection point of view. Coin is now encouraging merchants not to enable service code enforcement: https://support.onlycoin.com/hc/en-u...-October-2015-

And weasel wording the liability harms that causes.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:10 pm

Right now, all Walmart's are working, Target's are rolling out by the end of the summer, and a bunch of small businesses and essentially all international businesses. Coin is dead, already. And resorting to encouraging merchants to disable security features...
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now, all Walmart's are working, Target's are rolling out by the end of the summer, and a bunch of small businesses and essentially all international businesses. Coin is dead, already. And resorting to encouraging merchants to disable security features...
Ignoring EMV, the technology Coin's using doesn't even work close to 100% of the time with magstripe only cards. Plastc got hit hard by reviewers precisely because of this. The whole thing is pointless because I would have to carry a backup card all of the time.

As I've said for a while, these "wallet saving" types of products are about 1-2 years too late and way too half baked to be able to improve enough in the time they have left.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:36 pm

OMG this is getting sickening from a customer protection point of view. Coin is now encouraging merchants not to enable service code enforcement: https://support.onlycoin.com/hc/en-u...-October-2015-

And weasel wording the liability harms that causes.
Wow. I've hated the product since introduction, but this takes the cake. Time to get refunds people!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Wow. I've hated the product since introduction, but this takes the cake. Time to get refunds people!
And they're busy at work on Facebook reassuring everyone it should work fine with chip cards as long as the terminal allows the card to be swiped - *sigh* they don't get it, do they? Merchants are NOT going to expose themselves to the fraud liability shift to make sure Coin (which is just a card skimming and cloning device) works. At least LoopPay is up front about the shortcomings...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.