Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Oops, completely missed that. It's still a pretty stupid thing to have omitted though. At least they finally stopped claiming that it'll still work when EMV becomes more common.
No they didn't. https://support.onlycoin.com/hc/en-u...-October-2015-
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Originally their support site said that "chip and signature" cards would still work while "chip and PIN" cards would not. An acknowledgement that service code enforcement means that Coin won't work IS an improvement over the obviously wrong info they had before. But really, that's not saying much considering how badly run the whole operation is.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hear that Coin is going to offer a free hardware update to its customers that enables EMV and NFC capability ("Q1 2016"). Considering Plastc got delayed to 2016 and Coin's previous issues I don't have much faith that they'll meet that date. Or if the EMV chip will even work for that matter.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:53 am

I hear that Coin is going to offer a free hardware update to its customers that enables EMV and NFC capability ("Q1 2016"). Considering Plastc got delayed to 2016 and Coin's previous issues I don't have much faith that they'll meet that date. Or if the EMV chip will even work for that matter.
Oh dear. Really? Is anyone going to believe that this will occur?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Oh dear. Really? Is anyone going to believe that this will occur?
The NFC part's been confirmed by the tech media at least: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/26/92...-ship-date-nfc. But who knows?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:35 pm

The NFC part's been confirmed by the tech media at least: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/26/92...-ship-date-nfc. But who knows?
A regurgitated press release doesn't mean they have a viable product. Still plenty of issues to overcome when trying to emulate a chip or rfid.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
A regurgitated press release doesn't mean they have a viable product. Still plenty of issues to overcome when trying to emulate a chip or rfid.
Never said there weren't, just that Coin plans to release at a point in the future that might be overly optimistic for them.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:31 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I've been using mine for over a month and Im really starting to like it. I was able to use it in Europe despite the chip not being there and I had almost no issues in the usa (old restaurant pos terminals don't seem to work)
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:21 am

Does anyone have the Coin 2.0 yet? Any experiences good or bad to share? I was thinking about ordering one, but there is so little out there so far in terms of experiences people have had. Also I am not sure how long it will take to get one. The Coin site says that new orders will start shipping in November 2015, but does that mean I really would get it next month or will this be a long wait? Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
I've been using mine for over a month and Im really starting to like it. I was able to use it in Europe despite the chip not being there and I had almost no issues in the usa (old restaurant pos terminals don't seem to work)
How does that work? Is coin manipulating the service code? And if so, why is the bank not declining it?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
How does that work? Is coin manipulating the service code? And if so, why is the bank not declining it?
He's probably using it with a card that doesn't have a chip.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 7:14 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
He's probably using it with a card that doesn't have a chip.
No, the card (Amex Plat) is chipped and I didn't have issues using it with the Coin.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
No, the card (Amex Plat) is chipped and I didn't have issues using it with the Coin.
Bizarre. Makes me wonder why Amex isn't detecting that.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 12:48 pm

I've stop using this coin crap. It doesn't work for half of the store I go to. When it does work, I would have to swipe it several time. A lot of merchant in my area already converted to chip and pin so this thing is useless. Was at target the other day, swipe my amex on the coin and it told me to insert my card because it's a chip card lol.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eonflux
I've stop using this coin crap. It doesn't work for half of the store I go to. When it does work, I would have to swipe it several time. A lot of merchant in my area already converted to chip and pin so this thing is useless. Was at target the other day, swipe my amex on the coin and it told me to insert my card because it's a chip card lol.
Interesting you say that because I'm still swiping a lot where I live. It might just be the kinds of places I visit though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.