Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

FICO to start offering free credit scores

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FICO to start offering free credit scores

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Nope. It's a More card that I've had for at least 20 years, back to the Sears days. The feature was launched with, and is advertised for, the IT card, but it's now being rolled out more broadly.

There is a "NEW! Discover is now providing your FICOŽ Credit Score for free." link on the landing page.

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/disc...ee-fico-score/

Update: Discover announced on Feb. 6, 2014, that it would be rolling out free credit scores to all its cardmembers. So, in addition to those who have the Discover it card, those who have Discover More, Discover Open Road, Discover Motiva, Miles by Discover and Escape by Discover should see their free credit score in their next monthly statement
Originally Posted by josephstern
Any way to see that if you don't have a statement (i.e., I never use my Discover card)?
Did you login to the website?

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 4, 2014 at 2:49 am
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But which Discover card do you have? Reports so far have been that you get FICO with the Discover IT card, but not with the Discover MORE card (which is what the original Discover card has typically morphed into for those who've had it for ages).
Mine is the original Discover,not IT and I have the FICO score accessible on my account also.

While it may be useful to monitor fluctuations in your own file, I don't find it to be a very accurate indicator of a score that most lenders utilize.

I also have the US Airways card with this feature-both are Transunion scores and thus identical each month.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
Did you login to the website?
Yes. Logged in. Last statement was from 2009. Couldn't find it anywhere.

I can make a $1 charge to produce a statement, but I figured it would be on there somewhere.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd wait a month - it says they just started rolling it out for the "next statement", so your cycle may not have come up yet. My link was on the main page, not tied to a statement.

If it doesn't show within 30 days, then it may be worth a small charge to see if the data generation is tied to the statement generation.

Or 1-800-347-3162 / Live Chat and ask

Originally Posted by freeflyin
While it may be useful to monitor fluctuations in your own file, I don't find it to be a very accurate indicator of a score that most lenders utilize.
Can you clarify? On what data, other than "your own file" would your credit score be based? The complaint with "FAKO" scores is always that they aren't FICO scores. These are FICO scores (not "just Discover data FICO scores, AFAIK) - still not good enough?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
Can you clarify? On what data, other than "your own file" would your credit score be based? The complaint with "FAKO" scores is always that they aren't FICO scores. These are FICO scores (not "just Discover data FICO scores, AFAIK) - still not good enough?
Sorry- I did a poor job at articulating my thought.

I meant to say that while it may be a good way to monitor fluctuations,personally I am not convinced exactly how accurate these scores really are from Discover(or Barclays). While my scores from my Discover and Barclays cards are identical, my Identity Guard score from Transunion is almost 50 points less.

I would be interested if anyone has any additional clarification as to whether their Discover score matches or is close to any other credit monitoring service others may have.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by freeflyin
Sorry- I did a poor job at articulating my thought.

I meant to say that while it may be a good way to monitor fluctuations,personally I am not convinced exactly how accurate these scores really are from Discover(or Barclays). While my scores from my Discover and Barclays cards are identical, my Identity Guard score from Transunion is almost 50 points less.

I would be interested if anyone has any additional clarification as to whether their Discover score matches or is close to any other credit monitoring service others may have.
Both the Discover and Barclay's scores are non-enhanced FICO 2008 scores from TransUnion. They match the WalMart Credit/Discover Card score, which was one of the first to offer a free FICO 08 score to the public over two years ago. In other words, it's the real deal as far as FICO scores are concerned.

Incidentally and not really related...this past month I have joined the perfect 850 FICO 08 score club, presented to me courtesy of the above free FICO score offerings. While a pleasant surprise, it has little value or relevance in the big picture for me, aside from the fact it's off my (low priority) bucket list. ^
Old Mar 8, 2014, 9:12 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by oceandreamer
Both the Discover and Barclay's scores are non-enhanced FICO 2008 scores from TransUnion. They match the WalMart Credit/Discover Card score, which was one of the first to offer a free FICO 08 score to the public over two years ago. In other words, it's the real deal as far as FICO scores are concerned.
The people at myfico have figured all of this out, as well...

First look here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Gene...de/td-p/662549 Scroll down to the section "Places to get your FICO score aside from your lender"

Or look at the table in this post of the 49 flavors of FICO, to find the one your card is giving you: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Gene...552457#M179124

And then look at the five links at the bottom of that post for interpretation.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
The people at myfico have figured all of this out, as well...

First look here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Gene...de/td-p/662549 Scroll down to the section "Places to get your FICO score aside from your lender"
Except it's not very up to date:
04-12-2010 02:15 PM - edited ‎06-13-2013 11:37 AM

While I presume the information on flavors per bank is still correct, the "places to get your FICO score" doesn't include the banks (such as Barclays, US Bank, Discover) that have started giving free FICO scores to cardmembers in recent months.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Except it's not very up to date:
04-12-2010 02:15 PM - edited ‎06-13-2013 11:37 AM

While I presume the information on flavors per bank is still correct, the "places to get your FICO score" doesn't include the banks (such as Barclays, US Bank, Discover) that have started giving free FICO scores to cardmembers in recent months.
I believe US Bank doesn't give you a FICO, but a FAKO. They partner with ExperianDirect, and you get a PLUS score, which is a FAKO.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:34 pm

Has Barclaycard Arrival stopped showing FICO score?

I'm logged on and can't seem to find the old link to bring me to my FICO score.

Anyone else?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Perhaps it's the time of the month where the scores are updated and then loaded.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards
I have the NFL card through Barclay and I just logged in and clicked the tools link and it showed up there. Mine hasn't been updated since 2/26 but it says it may not update every month.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
still there, but updates are irregular at best
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Mine is there, it was updated 3 days ago. I "think" Barclay's updates it every 2 months so long as you have some use on one of their cards during this period.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by hub-captive
I'm logged on and can't seem to find the old link to bring me to my FICO score.

Anyone else?
I thought so too! It turns out they deleted the large button on the homepage. You can access your FICO by clicking the small "Tools" link next to "Account settings" on the homepage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.