Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by edbyu
What does the collective brain trust think of redeeming the points (I have the 5x points version) for a physical check or directly into my WF checking/savings account? I have about 500k points ready to redeem. It doesn't seem like one redemption option (direct into checking account vs physical check) is better / worse than the other.
Yeah I always redeem directly to checking. Never takes longer than 2-3 days. Usually have to do 10x250 and then a couple smaller redemptions to get the balance under $25.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by edbyu
I'm glad I'm not an idiot.
Good haul for 1 month.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
Good haul for 1 month.
100k and good haul?..lol..I don't know what would be greatest.

What could be the Credit Line on the account?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Large Dollar Purchases Being Declined

Help. After several weeks of use, I am having large dollar purchases universally declined. I call and get the fraud block taken off, but the charges still wont go through. When I called the fraud prevention, I was told that there was no block, but the charges were being declined because of their size. I have a CL of 25 and only about half way through it. This makes no sense, but I don't want to elevate it at Wells because I don't want extra eyes on the account. Even $500 charges won't go through, but $20 did this am. Any suggestions?

xlax
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by xlax
Help. After several weeks of use, I am having large dollar purchases universally declined. I call and get the fraud block taken off, but the charges still wont go through. When I called the fraud prevention, I was told that there was no block, but the charges were being declined because of their size. I have a CL of 25 and only about half way through it. This makes no sense, but I don't want to elevate it at Wells because I don't want extra eyes on the account. Even $500 charges won't go through, but $20 did this am. Any suggestions?

xlax
Only put charges greater than 500 on the card. Skip the small amounts. The wf computers are looking for patterns.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:37 pm

xlax
I am all of the sudden (after 9 months) having similar issues. Usually when I swipe it through a 2nd time, it goes through though. My 4k-5k at CVS used to be no issue, now they are. I now have about 7 blocks in last 2-3 weeks. Right now about to try a 5k at CVS, but I have no backup card, so preparing for worst. I never do small charges for what it's worth.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I am all of the sudden (after 9 months) having similar issues. Usually when I swipe it through a 2nd time, it goes through though. My 4k-5k at CVS used to be no issue, now they are. I now have about 7 blocks in last 2-3 weeks. Right now about to try a 5k at CVS, but I have no backup card, so preparing for worst. I never do small charges for what it's worth.
9 months? I presume this is your second card or AU card you are working on?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:34 pm

Yes, it is AU. My mess continues. After clearing the card yesterday it went as follows. 5k cvs- black screen, immediate swipe again goes through. My dad got a voice message he didn't answer. Then later 1k at rite-aid rejected, immediate reswipe went through. He did answer call and cleared all purchases, for all the good it will do me.

Long and short, apparently it is possible to wind up with some sort of label where every large purchase automatically gets rejected right before going through on 2nd try. I had gone 4 days without using the card before yesterday's initial rejection, so a cool down period doesn't help either.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I am all of the sudden (after 9 months) having similar issues. Usually when I swipe it through a 2nd time, it goes through though.
Can you explain what you mean by second swipe? Do you just swipe again a few seconds after it gets rejected? I will give that a try. I hadn't done any sub 500 transactions for weeks when this started.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:30 am

Can you explain what you mean by second swipe? Do you just swipe again a few seconds after it gets rejected? I will give that a try. I hadn't done any sub 500 transactions for weeks when this started.
Yes, immediate reswipe.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:18 am

I am dipping my toes into the MS waters for the first time with this card. I've read all 68 pages of this thread, in addition to several other long threads on the MS sub-forum, and wanted to contribute something, so I'll post data points as I get them.

I was approved for $3.5k CL with WF 5% cashback card. I got the platinum card, not signature. CS w/ experian was 761. I have much higher CLs on other cards, so I plan to ask for a CL increase once I get that first fraud alert call. I made my first transaction yesterday at a safeway, it hasn't posted to the account yet, but from what I read it will take 2-3 days. I did confirm through the "My Rewards" section that grocery/drug purchases are eligible for the 5% reward and that the promo period is just shy of 6 months.

After reading all of the advice here, my plan is to make $1000 purchases spread out a few times a week at the same safeway store. I'll probably go for 1x CL the first month and ramp up from there and see how it goes. Luckily, my wife has excellent credit so assuming all goes well I should be able to ride this out for 12 months.

I'm really hoping that bill payment increase available CL immediately rather than the 14 day holding period that some have reported with the platinum card. I will post updates as I have them.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:43 pm

Has anyone successfully opened the 5% card already having another WF card?
My oldest card is 16 years old from Wells Fargo; it is a Visa Platinum card that earns 1 point/dollar.

The WF Visa Signature card terms and conditions says "If you currently have an open credit card account or a closed credit card with a balance issues by Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., you may not be eligible for the bonus rewards offers described below"

I called WF and the CSR didn't know for sure. A manager told me I most likely wouldn't qualify for the promotion even though I've never had this product. Nobody knew for a fact...

They told me my best bet would be to close my 16-year old card after paying the balance and reapply in the future for the new product.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by ninjakid
I'm really hoping that bill payment increase available CL immediately rather than the 14 day holding period that some have reported with the platinum card. I will post updates as I have them.
Pay from your WF checking acct or you will have CL held for about 2 weeks, especially with Plat card
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by skibum7732
Pay from your WF checking acct or you will have CL held for about 2 weeks, especially with Plat card
It is tricky, some times it frees up in 2-3 days, sometimes it takes 14+days. I am exclusively using the WF checking for now..best bet
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:52 pm

My last statement balance should have been $1.38 but Wells Fargo forgave the balance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.