Last edit by: muji
Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

Update April 16, 2016: Still Not Churnable
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post26511091
__________________________________________________ _____________

How to pay down CL quickly?
ACH push from other banks to wells fargo checking and then use that to pay credit card

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Have a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes for suspicious activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
Now, to check if new transactions are eligible for 5X before statement closes, go to "My Rewards" on the top and click "Activity" and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" for 4% extra cash back for anything that's eligible.

Caps on 5x / 5%??
There are no more caps.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)
Automated response number was 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:35 pm

anyone done with 6 months and got a second card? PMs are welcome...
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by wvums
Did you have to build up to this amount? I've had the card for 2 weeks. 12K limit and was doing $500 VGC one at a time. Bumped up to $1k spend at 7-11 and got call from CSR about fraud alert for such a large purchase at a gas station. Is it easier to get larger transaction totals through at CVS on this card than at gas stations? Should i mix purchases up between gas and drugstore?
I wouldn't worry too much about the automated fraud calls. I've received about 3 or 4 in the 1.5 months of having the card. I had 1 live person call me about 3 minutes after I had a 1.5k or 2k purchase declined (all other fraud calls came after the purchase was completed successfully). She wanted to confirm that I was trying to make the purchase and said she would notify the system to allow the purchase.

As for ramping up, here is my purchase history for the first ~3 weeks with the first column being the # of days after activating the card. Purchases have continued at roughly the same rate.

Day Amount
1 1000
4 2000
5 2000
7 3000
8 1000
9 3000
11 1000
12 3000
18 4000
23 5000
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by met152
I wouldn't worry too much about the automated fraud calls. I've received about 3 or 4 in the 1.5 months of having the card. I had 1 live person call me about 3 minutes after I had a 1.5k or 2k purchase declined (all other fraud calls came after the purchase was completed successfully). She wanted to confirm that I was trying to make the purchase and said she would notify the system to allow the purchase.

As for ramping up, here is my purchase history for the first ~3 weeks with the first column being the # of days after activating the card. Purchases have continued at roughly the same rate.

Day Amount
1 1000
4 2000
5 2000
7 3000
8 1000
9 3000
11 1000
12 3000
18 4000
23 5000
Thanks a lot for the info. What CL did you build up this quickly with? I got a $1500 purchase through yesterday but was first declined at the register and had to wait almost 10 minutes for an automated fraud call to come in. Also, how many times in that 23 day span did you pay the card off in full?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by wvums
Thanks a lot for the info. What CL did you build up this quickly with? I got a $1500 purchase through yesterday but was first declined at the register and had to wait almost 10 minutes for an automated fraud call to come in. Also, how many times in that 23 day span did you pay the card off in full?
CL of around 15.
Several payments, but none in full.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:07 pm

I'm in a good groove right now. No fraud calls or declines in a month after getting many.
I definitely think the key is sticking to large purchases. I'm not swiping this card for anything under $1000, and I prefer $2000 (my stores aren't allowing more). All those $500s, and filler purchases were only hurting.

Also very careful about no mistakes with paying down credit line on weekend when things don't post overnight. I'm now at the point where I confidently expect that white screen to show up at CVS.

I'm making partial payments almost everyday, paying off nearly entirely whatever posted the night before.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I'm in a good groove right now. No fraud calls or declines in a month after getting many.
I definitely think the key is sticking to large purchases. I'm not swiping this card for anything under $1000, and I prefer $2000 (my stores aren't allowing more). All those $500s, and filler purchases were only hurting.

Also very careful about no mistakes with paying down credit line on weekend when things don't post overnight. I'm now at the point where I confidently expect that white screen to show up at CVS.

I'm making partial payments almost everyday, paying off nearly entirely whatever posted the night before.
Maybe thats my problem because I have been using the card for about 5 small purchases a day and then almost every purchase over $500 is throwing a fraud alert. I'll shoot for just the larger ones and see how that goes. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:17 pm

Just a warning to anyone who got the card in late August... they count August as a full month no matter when you received the card.

If your card was opened in the month, no matter what day, that is 1 of your 6 months. I basically got 5 months out of my 6 due to the way they determine this. I've only had 5 statements close, so it isn't statement driven.

Just be aware, check your reward activity to see if you get the bonus applied. Mine still shows the '5x' line but shows $0 contributed to my pending rewards from it.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
how do I know it is the first statement or not? do I need to call them? I just had only 1 statement in my account.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: MS Plat, AOR ninja
What's the maximum number of payments anyone has gotten through in a month? I'd like to pay it every 1-2 days, pushing payments in from external banks. Anyone else having success/problems with 20+ payments per month?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UR, SPG,
Originally Posted by carsonheim
What's the maximum number of payments anyone has gotten through in a month? I'd like to pay it every 1-2 days, pushing payments in from external banks. Anyone else having success/problems with 20+ payments per month?
Whoa, that's straight up MS, and not sugar coated For me that'd be like asking for problems and be shut down at some point.

1 thing is to pay once a week or 4 per month. as you can Justify by saying you get paid weekly...

just saying...
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by carsonheim
I'm doing 20+ payments a month, but all internal transfers from checking. You'll have to be careful with the timing if you are pushing externally. Why not open a checking account?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:36 pm

I'm doing 20+ payments a month, but all internal transfers from checking. You'll have to be careful with the timing if you are pushing externally. Why not open a checking account?
No wonder you are upset about Walmart not letting you buy MO's any more. Doing this much MS on your WF card! This might be part of the reason for the Walmart problem.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:20 am

Maybe since it just showed up today, but I applied 9/3 and my 1/31 charge is showing 0 bonus pending points. I'll update Monday if it changes. Interesting date counting they have over there haha
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by lunchclerk
No wonder you are upset about Walmart not letting you buy MO's any more. Doing this much MS on your WF card! This might be part of the reason for the Walmart problem.
Well the Walmart problem is not related to this...except in the sense that WF creates a need to go to Walmart.

At any given point there is always a limiting factor in MS (credit line of card(s), time for errands, stores that will sell to you, stores that will give you MO, available reload cards, available debit products, personal fear, cash to throw at the problem, how much bank will let you deposit, even size of wallet- like yesterday when I went to wawa to withdraw $2500 in 20s from 6 cards, fear of being mugged)

While I wait for my 2nd 5% card to get a higher credit limit, my limiting factor is currently available credit line. Once I can bump up my limit, if I lose my walmart then time (to replace it with farther away MO) might become my limiting factor...however if I positively resolve this walmart issue, then I have less worry of that as a limiting factor. Walmart is right next to my CVS, 3 different banks, and it is on my 10 minute drive to work, so it's perfect.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 7:02 am

Well the Walmart problem is not related to this...except in the sense that WF creates a need to go to Walmart.

At any given point there is always a limiting factor in MS (credit line of card(s), time for errands, stores that will sell to you, stores that will give you MO, available reload cards, available debit products, personal fear, cash to throw at the problem, how much bank will let you deposit, even size of wallet- like yesterday when I went to wawa to withdraw $2500 in 20s from 6 cards, fear of being mugged)

While I wait for my 2nd 5% card to get a higher credit limit, my limiting factor is currently available credit line. Once I can bump up my limit, if I lose my walmart then time (to replace it with farther away MO) might become my limiting factor...however if I positively resolve this walmart issue, then I have less worry of that as a limiting factor. Walmart is right next to my CVS, 3 different banks, and it is on my 10 minute drive to work, so it's perfect.
So you have successfully applied and been approved for a second Wells card? Did you do cash once and rewards or the exact same product? Did you keep card 1 open?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.