FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

carsonheim Dec 27, 2015 9:50 am

Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap

good card

nfpa70e Dec 28, 2015 11:11 am

In nearby drug stores, WG and RA, I saw Netspend, one vanilla, my vanilla, green dot VGCs. Many have mentioned vanilla's can't be used in WM to either load to serve or get MO. ( sometimes it works but there is cap of 49.99 per transaction), Can you use netspend and green dots in WM?

CDO Dec 31, 2015 12:45 am

Is this card churnable? I had it and the 6 months are up so am thinking of cancelling and getting a new one but I read you may not be eligible for the bonus anymore.

ajhardee Dec 31, 2015 2:44 am

Originally Posted by CDO (Post 25939156)
Is this card churnable? I had it and the 6 months are up so am thinking of cancelling and getting a new one but I read you may not be eligible for the bonus anymore.

Read WIKI.......No success of being churnable yet.

greatname Jan 5, 2016 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by ajhardee (Post 25939426)
Read WIKI.......No success of being churnable yet.

Actually I found one data point that someone was able to churn it. I also updated the wiki.

ajhardee Jan 6, 2016 2:39 am

Originally Posted by greatname (Post 25969489)
Actually I found one data point that someone was able to churn it. I also updated the wiki.

Sweet! I hope it proves true.

PeaceandPost Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am

rewards pending with no specific date

So my last batch of rewards posted on 1/10 and everything was fine with that. Then I made a large purchase on 1/15 which shows up in my rewards activity as earning 5x. However it says "Pending - Expected Redeemable Date" and does not show a date at all. Usually it would show the next 10th of the month (i.e. should be showing 2/10 I would think).

Anyone experienced this before or is currently seeing this in their rewards account?

Thanks

mrx900 Jan 21, 2016 10:11 am

Same here

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 26055779)
So my last batch of rewards posted on 1/10 and everything was fine with that. Then I made a large purchase on 1/15 which shows up in my rewards activity as earning 5x. However it says "Pending - Expected Redeemable Date" and does not show a date at all. Usually it would show the next 10th of the month (i.e. should be showing 2/10 I would think).

Anyone experienced this before or is currently seeing this in their rewards account?

Thanks

Mine showing that too. Also as a side note, my payment posted, but my CL didn't increase. ....

PeaceandPost Jan 21, 2016 10:14 am

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 26056281)
Mine showing that too. Also as a side note, my payment posted, but my CL didn't increase. ....

Okay, hopefully it's just a glitch then. did you pay from WF checking? I paid from WF checking yesterday and CL increased immediately as usual.

mrx900 Jan 21, 2016 10:22 am

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 26056298)
Okay, hopefully it's just a glitch then. did you pay from WF checking? I paid from WF checking yesterday and CL increased immediately as usual.

No, I deposited the money orders..straight to the credit card at the teller. Been doing that for some time.

nfpa70e Jan 26, 2016 7:58 pm

There used to be Cap, wiki is updated and it says there is no cap on how much reward points you can earn. Is this correct ? meaning however much you can spend in 6 months.

Also, what is the reasonably safe number to shoot for as far as buying 500 VGCs is concerned.

mittenfingerz Jan 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by nfpa70e (Post 26086982)
There used to be Cap, wiki is updated and it says there is no cap on how much reward points you can earn. Is this correct ? meaning however much you can spend in 6 months.

Also, what is the reasonably safe number to shoot for as far as buying 500 VGCs is concerned.

What's the point in having a wiki? No cap is no cap and that's why that info is in the wiki.

Reasonably safe is reasonably subjective

CWAL Jan 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by nfpa70e (Post 26086982)

I don't mean to be too mean, but based on the frequency and tone/type of your questions, stick to one or two purchases a week for the sake of everyone's sanity...

nfpa70e Jan 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 26087496)
I don't mean to be too mean, but based on the frequency and tone/type of your questions, stick to one or two purchases a week for the sake of everyone's sanity...

Stay on the topic. I decide how many purchases I need to make or not. Also, you should know by now that you don't know a lot of things (recall back to CLI, purchases, shut down etc) and it is better to learn from the questions various people ask here. Information keeps changing, data points keep changing all the time. There is a lot to learn.

AlabamaTraveler Jan 31, 2016 11:04 am

I know there are instructions on how to do this in the wiki, but I can't find how many days I have left. I have found this previously but I cant find the Promotional Offers-Usage tab that the wiki is talking about. May be because I am sick and not thinking clearly this morning, but can someone help me with this?

Thank

littlewinglet Jan 31, 2016 11:19 am

Originally Posted by AlabamaTraveler (Post 26110414)
I know there are instructions on how to do this in the wiki, but I can't find how many days I have left. I have found this previously but I cant find the Promotional Offers-Usage tab that the wiki is talking about. May be because I am sick and not thinking clearly this morning, but can someone help me with this?

Thank

This was answered for me last week, whoever has power to do so please update the wiki.

In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

Aristophanes80 Jan 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet (Post 26110488)
This was answered for me last week, whoever has power to do so please update the wiki.

In the rewards account, go to My Rewards -> Account Activity and the days left on the promo will show up at the top....looks like a pie chart.

Does anyone know how WF counts days remaining on the pie chart? If I had one day remaining, does that mean today and tomorrow or just today?

littlewinglet Jan 31, 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by micned (Post 26110719)
Does anyone know how WF counts days remaining on the pie chart? If I had one day remaining, does that mean today and tomorrow or just today?

You can figure that out on the day when you have 1 day left showing. That day should be safe, and next day check again....perhaps the promo notification disappears, which would mean it's over.

wise2u Feb 1, 2016 5:45 pm

My counter turned to 0 on the anniversary date....it coincided with the date that the previous months awards (except for the last 3 days) would become available...now I have 3 days of 5X points that will hit later this month, I plan to do some math and make the appropriate purchase to get points to an even award number so I cash out and put the card up. I was going to shut it down and try for other flavor...but frankly it is a bit of a relief not to be using it every day, and after the recent BB shutdown pushing volume got a little harder....The good thing is my wife got one flavor for 6 months followed by me getting one of the other flavors for 6 months and with all our spending concentrated on WF we didn't apply for a lot of other cards, it has boosted our scores and will make it easier to get any of the older cards we had (and bonuses) again....good luck with this one, I hope the bloggers don't ruin it. I only posted because it was back on top page.....bury this thread and ask questions via PM to keep it buried...all the info is there. there isn't much to discuss.
For most the only unanswered question is how much should I do, and the answer to that is: however much you are capable and comfortable with doing.

PeaceandPost Feb 7, 2016 5:34 am

So my rewards were supposed to post today 2/7 and I just checked the rewards account and now the pending expected redeemable date has been moved to 3/10 for all the pending rewards. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

mrx900 Feb 7, 2016 9:29 am

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 26146371)
So my rewards were supposed to post today 2/7 and I just checked the rewards account and now the pending expected redeemable date has been moved to 3/10 for all the pending rewards. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Yes...it's ok..they will appear

PeaceandPost Feb 7, 2016 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 26147109)
Yes...it's ok..they will appear

So you've had them be delayed by a month and they posted with no issues on the next statement?

Not trying to be paranoid, just wanted to hear if someone had the same experience and all was well.

mrx900 Feb 7, 2016 10:20 am

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 26147151)
So you've had them be delayed by a month and they posted with no issues on the next statement?

Not trying to be paranoid, just wanted to hear if someone had the same experience and all was well.

No, delay...they show up in a few hours, or the next day. ..it's a fluke in their system. You'll get ur points soon. Patience grasshopper hehe

PeaceandPost Feb 7, 2016 11:30 am

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 26147260)
No, delay...they show up in a few hours, or the next day. ..it's a fluke in their system. You'll get ur points soon. Patience grasshopper hehe

You were so right. Rewards just posted half an hour ago. Thanks for the peace of mind for a couple hours haha.

Richklhs Mar 21, 2016 9:15 am

I lived overseas for the last three years so I've been licking my chops at this opportunity for a while; moved back stateside last month and set up everything for a smooth operation with WF. Applied two weeks ago with instant approval, received card a week ago and wanted to add some data points here:

Opened Wells Fargo checking in January with wife as joint owner, direct deposited a few times from Bluebird before I lost that a few weeks ago. Applied 3/9 with $8k credit line instant approval, card received in mail 3/14.

First week I made several $500-$2k purchases, all approved no FA.
Paid bill from WF Checking and credit available instantly increased with payment pending for 1 day.
Go Far Rewards website shows no activity on my account for transactions that have posted, maybe WIKI should be updated or, with the new site taking affect this last weekend nothing will show until statement closes; or I just need to wait a few more days.

Unreal this gravy train is still rolling and WF has not rolled back from the uncapped portion. I know several friends who have taken them to town for high 5 and low 6 figures. I know some of you have probably done more. Anyone see significant changes with the supposedly new rewards system that went in to affect 3/19?

rekehs Mar 21, 2016 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Richklhs (Post 26364173)
nothing will show until statement closes;

i believe this is it.
i only received one rewards so far and it was during statement closed.
i can see the pending rewards in "activity" but they are not redeemable.

runb4fun Mar 21, 2016 11:02 am

"Enjoy 5X rewards points on gas, groceries, and drugstore net purchases for 6 months"

how much profit can one really make in 6 months? Like are you guys literally banging this card to hell?

Wakinguptooearly Mar 21, 2016 12:47 pm

So my 6 months is up. It was a good run, what do you guys do afterwards? Any new updates on trying to close and reopen?

LRobs Mar 24, 2016 10:51 am

I got a non-instant approval with a $2k credit line. Are there any datapoints on how many times you can pay down your balance before drawing suspicion? I'm assuming I can buy 3 VGCs at CVS and get that money into my account the next day. That would mean spending $22k/month on a $2k credit line, will this get me shut down?

Richklhs Mar 24, 2016 11:15 am

Originally Posted by LRobs (Post 26380917)
I got a non-instant approval with a $2k credit line. Are there any datapoints on how many times you can pay down your balance before drawing suspicion? I'm assuming I can buy 3 VGCs at CVS and get that money into my account the next day. That would mean spending $22k/month on a $2k credit line, will this get me shut down?

At this point, what do you have lose by trying? I probably would cycle it 11 times, try 4 or 5 and see what that gets you. Why they have Visa Signature cards with a $2k credit limit is beyond me.

lancaster Apr 4, 2016 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by LRobs (Post 26380917)

I started with $3k but obtained a new limit of $8k. I have been doing 7-8x CL and paying the charges off every day except the weekend. As long as the charges are posted, I will hit the button for payment. There were weeks that I paid everyday, and there were weeks that I walked into different WF branch and paid with WU MO for instant credit availability release. But I have never paid when the charges have NOT posted.

Richklhs Apr 6, 2016 7:30 am

Originally Posted by lancaster (Post 26437197)
I started with $3k but obtained a new limit of $8k. I have been doing 7-8x CL and paying the charges off every day except the weekend. As long as the charges are posted, I will hit the button for payment. There were weeks that I paid everyday, and there were weeks that I walked into different WF branch and paid with WU MO for instant credit availability release. But I have never paid when the charges have NOT posted.

really can't believe this gravy train is still rolling to that degree.

danhouston Apr 8, 2016 10:13 pm

wish to confirm with folks here that the rewards card & the signature card both have this "Earn 5x points on gas, grocery, and drugstore net purchases for 6 months", and the rewards card also has the 0% apr purchase for 15 months. Correct? TIA

pWei Apr 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Wakinguptooearly (Post 26365251)
So my 6 months is up. It was a good run, what do you guys do afterwards? Any new updates on trying to close and reopen?

I tried applying recently for the 5% and my new card didn't get the bonus. Old card was closed. Bummer, wasted a credit hit.

AugustWest Apr 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by pWei (Post 26469962)
I tried applying recently for the 5% and my new card didn't get the bonus. Old card was closed. Bummer, wasted a credit hit.

Details on the timing will be very helpful if you're willing to share.
How long was the old card closed? Long enough for record of it to disappear from your WF online account? Also, was it the exact same card or another version of the 5X card (cash vs points for example).
Thanks in advance.

macrophage Apr 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Anyone have information on range of credit scores to be approved for one of these cards?

If approved, my spending limit should be a problem. Right now my issue is actually getting approved... Recently closed a few accounts and accidentally let a few cards hold high balances due to other MSing. OOPS!

DL172 Apr 20, 2016 7:06 am

private

greggarious Apr 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi all, to clarify:

Is the 120k cap on rewards received, or on eligible spending (5% of 120000 being 6000)

AugustWest Apr 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious (Post 26533932)
Hi all, to clarify:

Is the 120k cap on rewards received, or on eligible spending (5% of 120000 being 6000)

I do not believe there is any cap at all. And it is certainly not a cap of $6K rewards.

AugustWest Apr 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by DL172 (Post 26511091)
Against the better advice of others, I tried churning. It's completely not churnable. WF could see my other card. I waited six months to try to get it again.

Sorry to hear that. Was it the exact same card? There is a cash version and a rewards (points that can be turned into cash) version. Also, had your card and points account been cleared off your online information?