FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

cdog999 Oct 14, 2015 7:35 am

Is there a cap on the Cash Back Credit card: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/cash-back/ ? I see references in this thread to a cap, but don't see any on the terms and conditions.

Also, if I add my wife as an authorized user would that keep eliminate her from applying for this card after my promotional period ends?

clockhand Oct 14, 2015 7:43 am

Originally Posted by cdog999 (Post 25562951)
Is there a cap on the Cash Back Credit card: https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/cash-back/ ? I see references in this thread to a cap, but don't see any on the terms and conditions.

Also, if I add my wife as an authorized user would that keep eliminate her from applying for this card after my promotional period ends?

No cap.

And you can be an AU of someone else first and then apply for the card yourself. So, no to your 2nd question.

cdog999 Oct 14, 2015 8:35 am

Originally Posted by clockhand (Post 25562984)
No cap.

And you can be an AU of someone else first and then apply for the card yourself. So, no to your 2nd question.

Sweet :) Now I just have to convince my wife that one of us should apply for another card.

Kyle27 Oct 14, 2015 5:57 pm

For my wife, instead of opening a bank account for her, can I just add her as an AU to my card, then have her apply for her own?

Meaning is her being an AU on my card enough to be considered a "previous relationship" ?

littlewinglet Oct 15, 2015 8:08 am

Originally Posted by ysugar1 (Post 25566031)
For my wife, instead of opening a bank account for her, can I just add her as an AU to my card, then have her apply for her own?

Meaning is her being an AU on my card enough to be considered a "previous relationship" ?

How is she going to pay her balances assuming she does successfully apply at some point later? The only way to juice maximum value out of this promo is to pay off the card from a WF bank account as soon as the charges post and repeat. Might as well open one for her now.

PeaceandPost Oct 15, 2015 4:10 pm

so I'm looking to open some external checking accounts so I can push money to WF checking. Does anyone know if there are any maximum amounts that can be pushed to WF checking?

Also, is there any problem if the external accounts have my name on them and the WF checking account I'm pushing money to has my wife's name on it?

Thanks.

nfpa70e Oct 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Reportedly, they recently added a clause in the terms which excludes gift cards from earning points. This gives them more leverage to confiscate rewards on gift card purchases.
Gift cards are excluded from earning 5X?

CWAL Oct 18, 2015 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Newyorker11 (Post 25578925)

Of course they are, they always are...

littlewinglet Oct 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Newyorker11 (Post 25578925)

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 25581780)
Of course they are, they always are...

Show's over folks, nothing to see here. On to the next act.

mittenfingerz Oct 19, 2015 9:48 am

I didn't know 5x was excluded... Guess I'm gonna have to return all the $$$$ I got.

CWAL Oct 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz (Post 25585803)
I didn't know 5x was excluded... Guess I'm gonna have to return all the $$$$ I got.

WF has added to their terms to send the check my way. Pretty standard.

cbender49 Oct 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mattrendell27 (Post 25570808)
so I'm looking to open some external checking accounts so I can push money to WF checking. Does anyone know if there are any maximum amounts that can be pushed to WF checking?

Also, is there any problem if the external accounts have my name on them and the WF checking account I'm pushing money to has my wife's name on it?

Thanks.

I don't know the answer but would suggest trying to add your name to the WF account to avoid any hiccups. I directed all external funds to one account and only pushed from that account to WF. I would guess if there's a limit it is multiple tens of $,$$$ based on the level others have gotten with this.

bgallthat1 Oct 27, 2015 9:51 am

Yes completely noob question but what are you guys buying and how are you transferring to cash? Used to be able to get cards and put on Bluebird. I'm probably 1 year behind. Thanks

skierinvermont Oct 31, 2015 2:31 pm

Anybody have any experience hitting this hard as an AU that they don't mind sharing? Just want to make sure that being an AU will function the same as when I was primary. Have joint checking. Most cashiers around here check ID.

JoJo12 Oct 31, 2015 4:36 pm

I have been using the card for MS as an AU for about 4 months w/o any problem. The only other charges have been real grocery purchases by the account owner.

cbender49 Nov 4, 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by JoJo12 (Post 25643917)
I have been using the card for MS as an AU for about 4 months w/o any problem. The only other charges have been real grocery purchases by the account owner.

My 6 months is over but when I was using this card, I always received fraud alerts when I used it for actual purchases like grocery or gas. Most likely, as others have reported, it was unusual given my typical spending pattern of large purchases and then randomly a $30 or $100 charge. I never had any fraud alerts when only using for MS.

Aristophanes80 Nov 5, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm about 3 months into my first go round with this card and it's going very smoothly so far, which I credit to the information I found in this thread. I've been paying the card with a mix of WF checking an an external account, with all but $500 of the external account payments subjected to a one-week hold before being added to available credit, as others have reported. Out of an abundance of caution, I haven't been using this $500 until the entire payment clears after a week. My question is whether this extra bit of caution is necessary. Does anyone have any experience with using the $500 of available credit that external payments generate before the whole payment is applied to available credit?

NikSem Nov 7, 2015 8:20 pm

Only 1% cash back?

I applied via "get 5%" link from my WF checking account page online, but when I got the card, the paperwork only mentioned 1% flat CB. I called the Rewards dept and they confirmed that there was no promotion attached to my card, only 1% flat CB. They are looking into it now, but it will take up to 10 days. Did anyone have a similar experience?

diseased Nov 7, 2015 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by micned (Post 25669496)
I'm about 3 months into my first go round with this card and it's going very smoothly so far, which I credit to the information I found in this thread. I've been paying the card with a mix of WF checking an an external account, with all but $500 of the external account payments subjected to a one-week hold before being added to available credit, as others have reported. Out of an abundance of caution, I haven't been using this $500 until the entire payment clears after a week. My question is whether this extra bit of caution is necessary. Does anyone have any experience with using the $500 of available credit that external payments generate before the whole payment is applied to available credit?

The full amount of all pull payments have been held in my case. Have you tried pushing payments? I've been pushing payments from a few other bank accounts and noticed the payments coming from banks on my transfer list are immediately available once received while the payment I sent from an unlinked account was put on hold.

ajhardee Nov 8, 2015 4:41 am

Originally Posted by NikSem (Post 25679522)
I applied via "get 5%" link from my WF checking account page online, but when I got the card, the paperwork only mentioned 1% flat CB. I called the Rewards dept and they confirmed that there was no promotion attached to my card, only 1% flat CB. They are looking into it now, but it will take up to 10 days. Did anyone have a similar experience?

My brother had the same thing happen to him. He had to cancel that card and re-apply at a Branch. They admitted it was their mistake.

NikSem Nov 8, 2015 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee (Post 25680347)
My brother had the same thing happen to him. He had to cancel that card and re-apply at a Branch. They admitted it was their mistake.

That's very queer. First of all, why didn't they simply apply the promotion to his card. Second, you are essentially saying that it's impossible to apply online, even though the links with 5% language are available both publicly:

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...ure-cash-back/

and from one's WF checking account page. I wonder how it works with the publicly available link.

Aristophanes80 Nov 8, 2015 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by diseased (Post 25679779)
The full amount of all pull payments have been held in my case. Have you tried pushing payments? I've been pushing payments from a few other bank accounts and noticed the payments coming from banks on my transfer list are immediately available once received while the payment I sent from an unlinked account was put on hold.

These payments that are held except for $500 are push payments from an unlinked account. I haven't tried pull payments from an external account. I have a pretty good rhythm going with a combination of the push payments and transfers from WF checking, but a few times it would have been nice to use that $500 right away.

ajhardee Nov 9, 2015 12:12 am

Originally Posted by NikSem (Post 25680983)
That's very queer. First of all, why didn't they simply apply the promotion to his card. Second, you are essentially saying that it's impossible to apply online, even though the links with 5% language are available both publicly:

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-ca...ure-cash-back/

and from one's WF checking account page. I wonder how it works with the publicly available link.

I'm not implying anything. I gave you an example and then I gave you a remedy.......that's it.

s3riously Nov 9, 2015 8:56 am

Originally Posted by micned (Post 25669496)

I have tapped into the $500 partial payment that you mention on multiple occasions without issue.

Aristophanes80 Nov 9, 2015 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by s3riously (Post 25685477)
I have tapped into the $500 partial payment that you mention on multiple occasions without issue.

Thanks! That's good to know.

PeaceandPost Dec 6, 2015 12:51 pm

Check free bill pay

Hey guys,

I successfully did two check free bill pay's at Kroger for $2000 each to pay WF card. Did them about 8 PM EST on a Wednesday and the payment was reflected in the WF CC on Saturday early morning. Available credit freed up immediately upon payment posting. Chose the "Visa Next Day" option. I have a Signature card btw.

The thing is though all day on Friday (before the payment actually posted to CC account) my WF online account would say "some of your accounts are unavailable at this time" and it would show my CC being "UNAVAILABLE". I logged onto the account periodically throughout the day probably 5 times and 3 times it said CC unavailable and 2 times everything looked normal.

Everything seems okay now. But I wonder if there are any problems with paying the card through check free BP?

Ideally, check free BP would be the best way for me to pay because I have had scrutiny from my checking accounts for large amount of MO's and also the checking accounts take awhile to make MO deposits available (and to push to WF checking).

But does anyone think that the fact my accounts said "UNAVAILABLE" periodically means there was human eyes on the account at some point or anything like that?

Thanks.

mrx900 Dec 6, 2015 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 25822229)

But does anyone think that the fact my accounts said "UNAVAILABLE" periodically means there was human eyes on the account at some point or anything like that?

Thanks.

No....they were having system wide issues yesterday. My aco....s werent showing up either and was looking funky...it was all sorted out by mid morning PST.

PeaceandPost Dec 6, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 25822266)
No....they were having system wide issues yesterday. My aco....s werent showing up either and was looking funky...it was all sorted out by mid morning PST.

Oh great! Thanks for the reply

travelfreaks Dec 6, 2015 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 25822229)
Hey guys,

I successfully did two check free bill pay's at Kroger for $2000 each to pay WF card. Did them about 8 PM EST on a Wednesday and the payment was reflected in the WF CC on Saturday early morning. Available credit freed up immediately upon payment posting. Chose the "Visa Next Day" option. I have a Signature card btw.

The thing is though all day on Friday (before the payment actually posted to CC account) my WF online account would say "some of your accounts are unavailable at this time" and it would show my CC being "UNAVAILABLE". I logged onto the account periodically throughout the day probably 5 times and 3 times it said CC unavailable and 2 times everything looked normal.

Everything seems okay now. But I wonder if there are any problems with paying the card through check free BP?

Ideally, check free BP would be the best way for me to pay because I have had scrutiny from my checking accounts for large amount of MO's and also the checking accounts take awhile to make MO deposits available (and to push to WF checking).

Thanks.

I have quit a few checking accts, but they all make my MO deposits available immediately for withdrawl/payments/etc.

PeaceandPost Dec 6, 2015 8:48 pm

Interesting, mind sharing the names of the banks that make MO's available immediately? I've never seen one before. PM me if you'd prefer.

mittenfingerz Dec 8, 2015 5:49 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 25823718)
I have quit a few checking accts, but they all make my MO deposits available immediately for withdrawl/payments/etc.

Immediately or next day? All my good guy banks are next day. The stupid credit unions that I opened up on the widespread advice of the forums take 2-3 business days.

PeaceandPost Dec 8, 2015 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz (Post 25830603)
Immediately or next day? All my good guy banks are next day. The stupid credit unions that I opened up on the widespread advice of the forums take 2-3 business days.

Mind sharing the names of those good guy banks?

I followed this advice too and opened some smaller bank accounts and they have been nothing but hassle (holding deposits for over a week, not being able to identity drawee bank in regards to MO's, etc.)

Thanks.

CWAL Dec 8, 2015 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost (Post 25832405)
Mind sharing the names of those good guy banks?

I followed this advice too and opened some smaller bank accounts and they have been nothing but hassle (holding deposits for over a week, not being able to identity drawee bank in regards to MO's, etc.)

Thanks.

TD Bank is next day for me, my local CU is same day. Don't have any other national banks to deposit at in person.

travelfreaks Dec 8, 2015 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz (Post 25830603)

I have a mix of cu's and banks. All are immediately available except 1 that clears at midnight same day of deposit. Do you have a decent balance in your accounts? I keep 5 figures in each acct, which may have something to do with it...not sure though.

mrx900 Dec 9, 2015 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 25834553)
TD Bank is next day for me, my local CU is same day. Don't have any other national banks to deposit at in person.

If you have a long term account with BofA, they too will make it same day.

stuntgoats Dec 10, 2015 9:14 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 25834881)
I have a mix of cu's and banks. All are immediately available except 1 that clears at midnight same day of deposit. Do you have a decent balance in your accounts? I keep 5 figures in each acct, which may have something to do with it...not sure though.

I have 6 bank accounts and have a hard time keeping a 4 figures balance in each. I guess that's why I'm only able to do 50k per month spend on this card.

travelfreaks Dec 11, 2015 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by stuntgoats (Post 25843568)
I have 6 bank accounts and have a hard time keeping a 4 figures balance in each. I guess that's why I'm only able to do 50k per month spend on this card.

possibly the issue. We have 9 accts between wife and I but keep decent balance in each.

ajhardee Dec 24, 2015 2:52 am

Missing Rewards?

My rewards just hit about 4 hours ago. I am missing roughly 75,000 rewards. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Do I wait a few more days? Do I dare call and ask about the rewards? Any advice is greatly appreciated.:)

mrx900 Dec 24, 2015 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee (Post 25911123)
My rewards just hit about 4 hours ago. I am missing roughly 75,000 rewards. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Do I wait a few more days? Do I dare call and ask about the rewards? Any advice is greatly appreciated.:)

There was a minor fluke a while back like what you are xperiencing, but cleared up in a day ...just check it later. ALso, make sure your spending is categorized in the appropriate category. Some Wal-Marts around my area dont count as grocery.

ajhardee Dec 25, 2015 9:05 am

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 25912600)
There was a minor fluke a while back like what you are xperiencing, but cleared up in a day ...just check it later. ALso, make sure your spending is categorized in the appropriate category. Some Wal-Marts around my area dont count as grocery.

Thank you for the reply. I double checked my 5% purchases, they all got it. I just checked my account this morning, but still missing roughly 75,000 points. I'm going to wait till after the holidays and see if they post.