FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Wells Fargo 5X rewards cap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1495478-wells-fargo-5x-rewards-cap.html)

pstravels Jun 22, 2015 3:43 pm

Been pushing high 5 figures a month into WF.

I think people get shutdown bc they don't go in the branch and are transparent.

I think when you go atm or drive thru and avoid talking to them...they get suspicious. I just straight up go in branch and tell them whats up.

Been going good for a few months so far.

travelfreaks Jun 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by k_smith29 (Post 25003753)
Well, again, it's a risk/reward question. I know for a fact that there have been people shut down for doing exactly what you stated. Not from a cc perspective but from the checking account perspective. Too much money going in and out of that account is never a good thing, especially if your account and overall relationship with them is fairly new. As strange as it may sound, but from what I've gathered so far, folks are more likely to get shut down because of overactivity on their WF checking account than overactivity on their cc. But shutdown in one often triggers shutdown of all your WF relationships (except mortgage - it's not like they can call your mortgage sooner)...

Wife and I were doing >100k a month each when we had this card and all payments were through our respective WF checking accts which were opened a few weeks before opening 5% card. Enjoy the slow n steady, but once 6 months is over...think about what you could have done that you left on the table :D

k_smith29 Jun 22, 2015 6:51 pm

No offense but I would argue you were lucky. I know plenty of folks who got shut down doing exactly that. I do some at WF but I would never do that much into an account of a bank whose credit card I'm churning. I'm still doing plenty of volume and have no complaints..... I'm getting about $13k in rewards net each month, so go figure how much that is in volume....

yoyo Jun 22, 2015 7:38 pm

folks, please stop showing off. The last thing this thread needs is letting people blindly follow you and get shutdown and points confiscated. Spend your energy figuring out how to make this last or new ways to extend your hobby.

ibleed0range Jun 23, 2015 7:34 am

Originally Posted by k_smith29 (Post 25011873)
No offense but I would argue you were lucky. I know plenty of folks who got shut down doing exactly that. I do some at WF but I would never do that much into an account of a bank whose credit card I'm churning. I'm still doing plenty of volume and have no complaints..... I'm getting about $13k in rewards net each month, so go figure how much that is in volume....

There is no way your doing that much on 1 card. 2, maybe.

k_smith29 Jun 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Nope, it's on one card and I'm not showing off, just explaining what I consider safe (and have done myself) and what I wouldn't do.

cbender49 Jun 23, 2015 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by k_smith29 (Post 25017631)
Nope, it's on one card and I'm not showing off, just explaining what I consider safe (and have done myself) and what I wouldn't do.

Sigh. I'm clawing my way into 4-digit rewards and can't seem to find an avenue beyond my three letter drugstore to fill my prescriptions. I'm guessing you have grocers that allow CC purchases for as many as you want or is there a national retailer I missed in the thread? Wallg33ns and every grocer in the area are cash/debit only for VGC and we all know about limits at the place I'm getting them. How do I get around this issue? Suggestions welcome!

k_smith29 Jun 24, 2015 6:22 pm

grocery stores (it's all local, now), gas stations that sell gc's, and some drug stores. Some WM's, for example, let you buy with cc and post as grocery stores, others don't. Don't ask me why, just noticed it when doing trial and error.

wise2u Jun 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Walmart and target stores that sell grocery post as 5X....Kroger takes CC and there is a thread about grocery stores that sell $500 giftcards for credit here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l-500-gcs.html

travelfreaks Jun 25, 2015 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u (Post 25027055)
Walmart and target stores that sell grocery post as 5X....Kroger takes CC and there is a thread about grocery stores that sell $500 giftcards for credit here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l-500-gcs.html

Not even close to true since some WM's do, but some of them do not give 5x. My closest one is a SWM with full grocery section and did not give 5x. Tread lightly until you have personally tested each WM in your area;). Target is the same, some do and some do not

wise2u Jun 26, 2015 1:40 pm

re

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 25028936)
Not even close to true since some WM's do, but some of them do not give 5x. My closest one is a SWM with full grocery section and did not give 5x. Tread lightly until you have personally tested each WM in your area;). Target is the same, some do and some do not

This might not be true for your particular store, though I don't see why. I did a small test purchase at both target and wallyworld to make sure it coded as grocery. In my area, multiple stores for both chains give 5X.
In many cases it is dependant on the card issuer (ie. Amex, Chase, Citi) on how it codes certain stores. What is grocery to one might not be to another. I assumed since our WF card codes the stores in my area that they consider them grocery everywhere....have you tried Target or other Walmarts in your area? if not how can you say "not even close to true"

travelfreaks Jun 27, 2015 12:57 am

Originally Posted by wise2u (Post 25032016)
This might not be true for your particular store, though I don't see why. I did a small test purchase at both target and wallyworld to make sure it coded as grocery. In my area, multiple stores for both chains give 5X.
In many cases it is dependant on the card issuer (ie. Amex, Chase, Citi) on how it codes certain stores. What is grocery to one might not be to another. I assumed since our WF card codes the stores in my area that they consider them grocery everywhere....have you tried Target or other Walmarts in your area? if not how can you say "not even close to true"

Simple...you made a blanket statement saying that if they sell groceries then they will be coded as grocery, thus earning 5x. It is not even close to true. There are many reports of people not getting 5x on WM and T purchases over the past couple years. Not with just WF either, but back in the 5x TY days...it coded as grocery, but the purchases did not earn 5x. Just letting people know that they should perform their own due diligence before dumping a bunch at these stores without knowing for sure if they will pay 5x.

k_smith29 Jun 27, 2015 3:21 pm

Agree that you need to try yourself. As I said, it's trial and error. Haven't figured out if there is any reason behind it. Trial and error is how I found most opportunities

sunspotzsz Jun 30, 2015 10:09 am

Hi friends,

i just got this card two month ago and have accumulated almost 40k points. in the welcome material, it says that i can redeem for flight tickets at 1.5 cents/point rate. however, i haven't been to find how to actually do that? anyone has any clue?

is buying flight ticket the best value redemption method?

thanks!

k_smith29 Jun 30, 2015 6:19 pm

It may be the best value redemption method, but I've never done it to be honest. I'm not sure how far WF would go to claw back rewards, so I redeem my points in the way in which I think they could least likely take them back. But that is just me. I've heard of two cases so far where WF had clawed back rewards already earned and redeemed. Two out of dozens ain't much, but it's not zero either.

travelfreaks Jul 1, 2015 1:22 am

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 25048899)
Hi friends,

i just got this card two month ago and have accumulated almost 40k points. in the welcome material, it says that i can redeem for flight tickets at 1.5 cents/point rate. however, i haven't been to find how to actually do that? anyone has any clue?

thanks!

:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:
Thats <$8k spend in 2 months. You only have 6 months with this card. We did more than in a day with this card let alone in 2 months

sunspotzsz Jul 4, 2015 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 25052529)
:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused:
Thats <$8k spend in 2 months. You only have 6 months with this card. We did more than in a day with this card let alone in 2 months

Don't want to get shut down

michael160 Jul 5, 2015 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 25069869)
Don't want to get shut down

That's like saying you drive 20MPH in a 55MPH zone because you don't want to get a speeding ticket. To each his own, I guess.

sunspotzsz Jul 6, 2015 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by michael160 (Post 25073212)
That's like saying you drive 20MPH in a 55MPH zone because you don't want to get a speeding ticket. To each his own, I guess.

what in your opinion is a reasonable run rate per week?

michael160 Jul 6, 2015 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 25078284)
what in your opinion is a reasonable run rate per week?

First off I was probably a bit harsh with my previous comment.
Everyone has their own comfort level and my best advise is to stick with what you feel comfortable doing. There isn't a right or wrong number.

hokiegl Jul 6, 2015 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz (Post 25048899)
Hi friends,

thanks!

I do this all the time. Just go to the rewards site and navigate to the airlines section. When you pull up tickets, you will see that the price quoted is 33% off what you see in kayak for example.

Tiger39 Jul 10, 2015 1:47 pm

Does it take longer for the bonus rewards to show up than base awards? My account snapshot shows pending base rewards but nothing for bonus rewards. I called the rewards number and they confirmed that I am elgible for 5X bonus but wasn't very helpful on saying when they would post.

yoyo Jul 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Base and bonus should show up at the same time after the charge posts. I just got the card and made several charges and they show on the reward site. BTW, if you don't like your limit you can call in and have them raise it. I doubled mine with one call without a new HP. YMMV

Tiger39 Jul 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 25098740)
Base and bonus should show up at the same time after the charge posts. I just got the card and made several charges and they show on the reward site. BTW, if you don't like your limit you can call in and have them raise it. I doubled mine with one call without a new HP. YMMV

Thanks, I might have to call them again. I want to get this situated before I start spending to heavily on this card. My limit is 13K and don't need to increase (at least not yet anyway).

bjk497 Jul 10, 2015 4:07 pm

Have those of you with the rewards version of the card (the one that can be redeemed toward airfare for 1.5 cents per point) consistently had the redemption rate increase to 1.75 cents per point toward airfare after spending $50K? I have seen a few reports of this, but not widely reported. I need to book a ticket to St Croix for Labor Day weekend and am wondering if I should wait (I should hit $50K this billing cycle). Thanks in advance

THEsocalledfan Jul 11, 2015 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bjk497 (Post 25099306)
Have those of you with the rewards version of the card (the one that can be redeemed toward airfare for 1.5 cents per point) consistently had the redemption rate increase to 1.75 cents per point toward airfare after spending $50K? I have seen a few reports of this, but not widely reported. I need to book a ticket to St Croix for Labor Day weekend and am wondering if I should wait (I should hit $50K this billing cycle). Thanks in advance

Yes.....at some point, you will get bumped up. If this card had any kind of bonus reward categories, I'd be using it alot, but sadly my 6 mo ended July 1 and it is now in a drawer.....

Happy Jul 11, 2015 8:39 pm

$100 sign up bonus

Got solicitations from Wells on this card. The sign up bonus is $100 after $1K spend. The offer expires Aug 3rd.

Is it common this card has a sign up bonus?

Dont want to apply now as we would be out 40 days between Aug and Sept. I dont want to train this card then stop using it for 40 days and have to retrain it, not to mention losing 40 days of earning potential.

wise2u Jul 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Happiness, I've just been approved for card with 10k limit. My wife's card just went past 6 months, so the game continues.
To the braggers: how do you cycle that much through? I understand you can hit your limit, and pay it off early to renew it. (but it does draw attention, and is one of the ways people get shut down). The hard part seems liquidation of all those grocery store VGC. You have a couple of BB accounts, and some folks buy MO directly with VGC, but you still have to deposit them (which draws attention of banks, and maybe government scrutiny) So how can you get to the levels you claim?
We cleared about 4k in rewards after GC fees, mostly thanks to Redbird's no load fees while they lasted. That was with a 14k CL, maxed and paid once each month. We didn't use redbird or bluebird to pay card directly. I would deposit to WF funds from other banks, and cash from BB/RB ATM withdrawals, then use our WF checking to pay CC bill.
Walmart codes as grocery near me and a $500 VGC is only $4.95 but they have to be bought 1 card at a time, so that would set off fraud alerts every day. Other cards can be bought $1500 at a time (at Krogers) but cost $1 more each which reduces net rewards to a little more than $2250 - time and gas to liquidate, over 6 months....if I stick to my previous method.
I am happy with the previous result, but would have to charge and pay twice a month to repeat it. I tend to be cautious and don't want to be a greedy hog that gets slaughtered, but if you guys are really running 6 figures through in 6 months, I'd like to know how.

yoyo Jul 13, 2015 6:25 pm

I know someone is running 6 figures a month, but it doesn't mean you and I can do it. Do only what one is comfortable with.

hokiegl Jul 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by bjk497 (Post 25099306)

On my other card, I did have the rate increased. But its hard to predict. It came WAY after I hit the 50K mark. I hit 50K in the second month, but the letter arrived around month 4.

groundhog Jul 22, 2015 4:52 pm

What is the latest word about opening another WF card?
I used to have one WF 5% CB card (I think it was called "cash"). Is it possible to open another one with a little bit different type, like "rewards card" and get 5% CB again?

mrx900 Jul 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog (Post 25157902)
I used to have one WF 5% CB card (I think it was called "cash"). Is it possible to open another one with a little bit different type, like "rewards card" and get 5% CB again?

Good question cuz I just finished my 6 mths, and would love to get another card, for another 6 mths of joy. They have like 4 different cash back cards....so if one gets a "different" card, does that count?

travelfreaks Jul 22, 2015 10:15 pm

one word: WIKI

groundhog Jul 23, 2015 9:00 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks (Post 25158940)
one word: WIKI

WIKI does not answer this question.
It only says that it can not be repeated for the same card, but it's not clear if I can get 5% CB from a different type of WF card.

hokiegl Jul 23, 2015 10:32 am

I tried last year and did not get 5% again. So, I had to use a family member.

toxicity Jul 23, 2015 10:40 am

Originally Posted by groundhog (Post 25160782)
WIKI does not answer this question.
It only says that it can not be repeated for the same card, but it's not clear if I can get 5% CB from a different type of WF card.

Doesn't work

groundhog Jul 23, 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by hokiegl (Post 25161273)
I tried last year and did not get 5% again. So, I had to use a family member.

Did you try for the same type of WF card or a different one?

ftomasze Jul 24, 2015 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog (Post 25161551)
Did you try for the same type of WF card or a different one?

Have tried two different products (original was CB, seconds was reward points) and did not get the bonus on the second card. Wasted Hp...

yoyo Jul 25, 2015 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ftomasze (Post 25169662)
Have tried two different products (original was CB, seconds was reward points) and did not get the bonus on the second card. Wasted Hp...

deleted

littlewinglet Jul 25, 2015 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ftomasze (Post 25169662)

How long did you wait between cancelling the first and signing up for 2nd card?