Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: OpenTable VIP!
World vs World Elite

I'd love to pick up the 50K bonus, but I've already got a card. However--it's the World card.

Are the World and World Elite two distinct products from Barclaycards' perspective? I'm guessing no...
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:51 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AirLokita
the World card
The "World Elite" is the only M&M card currently offered by Barclaycard. If your current card is the old silver "Premier" World card then I would expect Barclaycard to say it's the same product.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
RobertHanson's post shows again why this card isn't necessarily a great choice if you're based in the US and don't have any other relationship with M&M. Some of his points aren't strictly correct, mind -- although I'm aware that the 'solutions' I mention below won't work for everyone:

Or credit some flights to M&M. .
What, are you suggesting actually PAYING for tickets? Who does that? I haven't paid for an airline ticket (other than taxes/fees) in over 5 years.

Originally Posted by IMH
Or hotel stays. Or car hire. Or subscribe to The Economist. There are still more options if you have an address in Europe.

Elite status with M&M will protect your miles, as will holding some of the credit cards issued by their partners in other countries.
Sure, pay a fortune in tickets to get Senator status. By the time you've done that, you won't even need this card.

Again with hotel stays, do you mean PAY for them? I haven't paid to stay at a hotel that has a points program in years. But if I did, I'd probably put that stay on the hotels cc, not MM.

I do however find it wonderful that people outside the US have some ways to play this game as well, since up to now all I've heard are complaints from them about not being able to get our great cc sign ups.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by blitzen
Yes new cc = new account

But Barclays won't let you churn while the same product is open (auto decline).
Not entirely true.. Churned the US Air card a handful of times with up to 3 simultaneously open. It's been awhile, so hoping it'll be the same with the LH card. You definitely need auto approval because an agent will see the duplicate.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

My decline arrived yesterday stating "maximum number of allowable products" was already established aka the just cancelled card was counted and 1 is max ... At least for me
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
I'm getting ready to churn this card but the previous card that I closed last year still shows up in my account online.
Should I have that card removed? If so, how do I do that because it isn't giving me an option to remove it online.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Update:
CS said that it takes 6 months after the account was closed with a zero balance for it to be removed from your account online. Their system does it automatically and apparently, there's no way to remove it earlier.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
I'm getting ready to churn this card but the previous card that I closed last year still shows up in my account online.
Should I have that card removed? If so, how do I do that because it isn't giving me an option to remove it online.
My wife closed her card on 1/2/2016, approved for a new one on 2/9/2016. old card still shows in her online account.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Hope the offer is still around in a month so that I can reapply
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Wow, instant approval!!! Haven't had an instant approval for a long long time!

Just hoping I get the bonus also.

I closed mine in June 2014, but now the miles I earned with that are going to expire pretty soon. Never had the chance to use them. So with this, I'll gain more time (and possibly another bonus )
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:13 pm

Why wouldn't you get the bonus?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by express3

I closed mine in June 2014, but now the miles I earned with that are going to expire pretty soon. Never had the chance to use them. So with this, I'll gain more time (and possibly another bonus )
If you are approved you will get the bonus, this is how barclays has been.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by express3

I'm pretty sure you will get a new bonus.

BUT, I seriously doubt getting this card will extend the life of the miles you got with the last card. If you had kept it open, and used it at least once every single billing period, without missing a single one, the miles would last forever. But once you missed a single billing period, much less canceled the card, they were set on a 3 year expiration cycle from the date they were posted in the first place. Sorry to have to say that, but I'm pretty sure that's true.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I'm pretty sure you will get a new bonus.

BUT, I seriously doubt getting this card will extend the life of the miles you got with the last card. If you had kept it open, and used it at least once every single billing period, without missing a single one, the miles would last forever. But once you missed a single billing period, much less canceled the card, they were set on a 3 year expiration cycle from the date they were posted in the first place. Sorry to have to say that, but I'm pretty sure that's true.
In theory, that's how it's supposed to work. In practice, it doesn't or at least it doesn't always.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
In theory, that's how it's supposed to work. In practice, it doesn't or at least it doesn't always.
Not sure what "doesn't or at least it doesn't always" happen? Spending every billing period doesn't keep miles from expiring? Or getting a new card doesn't keep miles from the previous card from expiring? Or....

I know 3 years is longer than I like to keep any miles/points, due to fears of drastic devaluation, but sometimes I can't help it. Due to the up to now easy, and often free, MS possibilities, we have miles in a bunch of different FF programs. And sadly, there is a limit to how many International trips we can take a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.