Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
50,000-mile offer

Earn 20,000 miles after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee,
then an additional 30,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days.
  • $89 annual fee, not waived
  • no foreign transaction fees
  • annual companion ticket
  • 2 Lufthansa Business Lounge vouchers annually
https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...7&cellNumber=5

60,000-mile offer:
Same as the above 50K offer, except
an additional 40,000 award miles after you make $5,000 in purchases w/in first 90 days. To see this obscure obscure offers details, scroll down to Welcome Bonus in the T&C.
Print Wikipost

Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by LizGross144
I'm going through the T&C, and see that this offer is invalid in Iowa. Does that happen often with offers like this? I'm not an Iowan, just curious.
Iowa as I recall has some consumer friendly laws so some banks won't deal with Iowans. Barclays is one of them (I am not an Iowan either that is is just what I have read).
Old May 5, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Brugge
I could swear I saw the expiration date for this current 50K offer, but I can't find it now. Anyone know?
Due to the overwhelming response to my post, , I thought I'd add to it. From the T/C of the current app:

"This one-time thirty-thousand (30,000) additional award miles offer is valid for first-time Cardmembers with a new account only. Existing Cardmembers and existing accounts are not eligible for this offer."

This seems contradictory to me. The beginning seems to say if you have ever had the card before, AMEX like, you can't get the bonus. The other part seems to only exclude existing card holders.

DW had one of these a couple of years ago, and I got another one and the bonus miles the last time this offer came around a few months ago. So to make the best use of my miles, I need DW to get one as well. Anyone have any data points on whether this offer usually says this, and reapps still get the bonus? Or is this new, and Barclays is now taking an AMEX like approach to reapps?
Old May 5, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: Starwood gold, HHoners, Continental one pass
LH credit card free companion coupon

Is the companion ticket worthwhile?
Or is the ticket cost of a full value coach so much more expensive?
Old May 6, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
Originally Posted by adlibitum
I was able to get the bonus twice after I cancelled my first card and waited about a month.
Do you remember what the T&C said then? Like Brugge, I'm wondering if Barclays is going Amex on bonus...
Old May 6, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Do you remember what the T&C said then? Like Brugge, I'm wondering if Barclays is going Amex on bonus...
I'm hoping someone has a screenshot from the last time the bonus was 50K. If it's true that RB is dead, doing $5k in spend w/out getting a bonus would be such a waste.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:52 am

Is this card even worth it if I travel with 2 people? It won't get 2 people many places outside US. I cannot get a 2nd card, SO won't do it.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
I'm hoping someone has a screenshot from the last time the bonus was 50K. If it's true that RB is dead, doing $5k in spend w/out getting a bonus would be such a waste.
No screenshot, but I did PDF the May 24, 2014 T&C. The relevant parts of page 5 said:
"Welcome Bonus ...Cardmembers will receive an additional 30,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within 90 days of account opening. also....Welcome bonus miles are available to new cardmembers only."

Current offer as of May 6, 2015 (Wiki link T&C):
"Cardmembers will receive an additional 30,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within 90 days of account opening and after the annual fee(if applicable) has been paid. All Welcome Award miles will be credited to your Miles & More account at the close of the first billing statement in which the purchase has posted and after the annual fee(if applicable) has been paid. The annual fee is considered paid when the cardmember makes payments greater than or equal to the disclosed annual fee. Welcome Award miles are available to new cardmembers only."

This year's T&C doesn't sound that different from last years to me.

Where did you find the T&C that said "valid for first-time Cardmembers with a new account only. Existing Cardmembers and existing accounts are not eligible for this offer."

Last edited by HiYoSilver; May 6, 2015 at 10:17 am
Old May 7, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
No screenshot, but I did PDF the May 24, 2014 T&C. The relevant parts of page 5 said:
"Welcome Bonus ...Cardmembers will receive an additional 30,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within 90 days of account opening. also....Welcome bonus miles are available to new cardmembers only."

Current offer as of May 6, 2015 (Wiki link T&C):
"Cardmembers will receive an additional 30,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 in purchases within 90 days of account opening and after the annual fee(if applicable) has been paid. All Welcome Award miles will be credited to your Miles & More account at the close of the first billing statement in which the purchase has posted and after the annual fee(if applicable) has been paid. The annual fee is considered paid when the cardmember makes payments greater than or equal to the disclosed annual fee. Welcome Award miles are available to new cardmembers only."

This year's T&C doesn't sound that different from last years to me.

Where did you find the T&C that said "valid for first-time Cardmembers with a new account only. Existing Cardmembers and existing accounts are not eligible for this offer."
Thanks, that at least sounds promising. No risk, often no gain.

Here's the link to the landing page that I quoted:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...0&cellNumber=6

It's in the first paragraph "1" at the bottom, under "More Information"...
Old May 7, 2015, 11:27 am

Thanks, that at least sounds promising. No risk, often no gain.

Here's the link to the landing page that I quoted:

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...0&cellNumber=6

It's in the first paragraph "1" at the bottom, under "More Information"...
Now this is weird. I got the link above by checking my history for the day I posted that. But when I look at the T/Cs that link brings up, it doesn't say what I cut and pasted that day. Now it says " This offer is available to new cardmembers only."

Typically every app makes you a "new cardmember", only meaning you won't get the bonus when you renew, of if you got a lessor bonus 6 months ago and call to request your bonus get upgraded to the new, better offer.

It's usually only a problem when it says "First time cardmembers only", and this doesn't say that. But what happened to the phrase I copied, I have no idea. Seems unlikely that they changed to terms overnight.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:04 pm

Working link please

Anybody with a working 50k link?

All links seem to have died
Old May 7, 2015, 5:17 pm

I was thinking about applying for this one. I just noticed, not only are the links dead, the LH card ish't even shown on Barclay's website
Old May 7, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by fslarry
I was thinking about applying for this one. I just noticed, not only are the links dead, the LH card ish't even shown on Barclay's website
The link from my post this morning now just goes to a 20K offer. Was just waiting for some large charges to DW's US card to post, so as to inspire Barclays Recon CRs to approve her LH app. Now it's a moot point.
Old May 7, 2015, 7:19 pm

The link from my post this morning now just goes to a 20K offer. Was just waiting for some large charges to DW's US card to post, so as to inspire Barclays Recon CRs to approve her LH app. Now it's a moot point.
Although this offer has recently reappeared every few months, so we all just need to chill, and wait for it to appear again.

It's like that joke from Steven Wright:

"This morning I saw a Subliminal Advertising Executive, but only for a second".

You have to be tuned in, and apply quickly, to get this card with 50K. But it will be "comin' around again", so hang in there.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
In case this helps, you can monitor a page for changes using this:

https://www.changedetection.com/

I'll trying it out by setting one for the following pages:
https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...eid=2073359900
www.BarclaycardUS.com/milesandmore

However, it may not work since a 50k offer might show up at some other specific link.
I created a ChangeDetection entry for this card on April 20th. Today I received a notice that the 50k offer is on the Miles & More site (not just the Barclay site that was changed a while ago).

https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...900&NOSSO=true
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
I created a ChangeDetection entry for this card on April 20th. Today I received a notice that the 50k offer is on the Miles & More site (not just the Barclay site that was changed a while ago).

https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...900&NOSSO=true
Not at all happy to see this:

"This offer is available to first-time cardmembers only"

Has anyone gotten a second sign up bonus on an app with this language?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.