Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by omizz
I want to travel, of course!
Step 1: Figure out exactly where you want to go.
Step 2: Figure out who flies from where you are to there.
Step 3: Run dummy/example attempts to book award seats using those airlines' websites and see what you need for the dates you want.

That will give you an idea of where to focus.

If you really want to learn more, each program has its own forum here with plenty of threads describing all the intricacies of the programs' awards.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I agree with amolkold's point. Most of the cards you have on your list have forex fees. Think through your plans to meet minimum spend (while you're in the US, or when you return overseas), and whether that involves forex fees.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Thanks. I plan to route a lot of the minimum spends for upcoming travel expenses on the first batch via USA booking agents such as Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Princess Cruises. I'll have to pick up the slack with everyday grocery spending but not much I can do about that. I want to hold off on business cards until the August batch because I have spending plans that suit them then (without going into personal details). I know my limitations, otherwise I would go for the 50k AA cards with $2500 spend.

What I am looking for is any advice about getting that many cards approved. I'm mostly worried about the 2 x Chase cards as I can't handle the spending on both an SPG Amex and an Ink all at once in this time frame. I need the PSG Amex more urgently than the Ink.

Also a bit worried about the Club Carlson Visa as I have done a Lifemiles Visa in mid Oct last year. I need to prioritize that one though as I have upcoming stays it can be used on (last award night free).

Can the Freedom drugstore 5x bonus be used on drugstores overseas?

Last edited by Tiki; Jan 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tiki
Can the Freedom drugstore 5x bonus be used on drugstores overseas?
I believe it depends on how the store codes the purchase. This is the most extensive list I have seen from Chase but they are still listed as "examples" and not the exhaustive list.

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants.aspx
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:02 pm

Help planning my next churn please!

Come February my wife and I are planning on doing our third CC churn. Being still quite the noob on this, I haven't been able to answer this question in my planning/research:
-I'm worried I've reached the maximum credit line Chase is wanting to extend to me. Should I go ahead and apply for Chase's BA card and ask reconsideration (should it go there) to cancel the Hyatt card I just applied for three months ago?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
If you're worried about hitting the total dollar credit limit Chase is willing to extend you, the conventional approach is to re-allocate credit limits between cards. In other words, have them lower limits on existing cards and put the sum of these on the new card. Chase is usually fine with this.

I would not recommend cancelling a card with Chase that you just opened, especially if you got a big sign up bonus for it, annual fee waived, etc. You can always try but Chase will likely not find this amusing.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SPG gold, PC Plat, CC gold
What chase cards do you have?
You should be able to reallocate and get the card if it comes to reconsideration. Worst case, you can offer to cancel a slightly older card. Be prepared with a story line of why you want the new card and cancel the old card.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:56 pm

Thanks guys appreciate it.
So I am assuming if I do it right after closing (within 3-4 days), the credit card issuers would not be able to see my mortgage at that time and my chances would be better (as opposed to a couple of months later)?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by travelwulf
Come February my wife and I are planning on doing our third CC churn. Being still quite the noob on this, I haven't been able to answer this question in my planning/research:
-I'm worried I've reached the maximum credit line Chase is wanting to extend to me. Should I go ahead and apply for Chase's BA card and ask reconsideration (should it go there) to cancel the Hyatt card I just applied for three months ago?
How do you know you have hit the limit? If you can reallocate $5k from other accounts, that should be good enough to open a visa signature account. I have 5 personal cards with Chase.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
Do you have any other Chase cards you can negotiate with? The Hyatt card is still pretty new for you and I don't think they would be willing to play around with your limit.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Originally Posted by toinktoink
So I am assuming if I do it right after closing (within 3-4 days), the credit card issuers would not be able to see my mortgage at that time and my chances would be better (as opposed to a couple of months later)?
Interesting question. I suppose it depends on how quickly the timing goes. If this is your first mortgage, it might not appear on your credit report for a bit of time (not sure if this is days/weeks/months). However, the card issuer might see a credit inquiry and be able to tell you applied for a mortgage - not sure here either.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:49 am

Planning an AOR for trip to Europe

Hi FT!

So my three credit scores according to lifelock are 749, 751, 762.

My current cards are
Chase Bold (5K CL)
Chase Freedom (1k CL - transferred my CL over to my CSP to make 90k in purchases)
Chase Sapphire Preferred (16.5k CL) (500,000 pts)
Discover More (11k CL)
NFL Barclay Card (2.5k CL)
AA: 50,500 (thx Fidelity!)
HHonors: 111,000 pts (+18,000 from another account in my name if I can transfer it over?)

Here is the REAL ROUGH itinerary (at least for the start of the trip) The goal is to have a 10 or 14 day stint around Europe mostly paid for by an AOR and using AS FEW AS POSSIBLE of the above points... Assuming that hitting spend is no issue...

What other cards should I look at besides the two CITY AA cards which would provide 50k pts each? Anther option that I gathered from THIS THREAD United might be a real good option since I'm flying after May 16th... If so, I could apply for the 50k+$50 United MP Card from Chase (even though I already have 3?)

I guess this leaves Hotel cards to be looked at since that will cover the remaining major expenses of the trip...what hotel branded cards would be best recommended for Europe?

7/25 Fly LAX>Amsterdam (67,500K First class saver or 30k Econ Saver w/United)
7/26 Attend Tomorrowland Music Festival
7/27-28 Marseille,FR
7/29 Barcelona, SP
7/30-31 Ibiza (will likely want hotels on the island)
8/1+ - ?? not sure yet
Return to LAX either 8/5 or 8/9

Ultimately I'm really trying to save up some money to purchase my first house (young, early 20s) and will only pull the trigger on this trip if costs can be minimized to an extent that makes me feel comfortable.

Thanks for all of your help FT

Last edited by Slybone; Jan 18, 2013 at 1:27 am
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:26 am

deleted

Last edited by Jophiel; Jan 18, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Some Avios would be helpful for those short hops in Spain so I would get the Chase BA card. Then get a US Bank Club Carlson for the 1 free award night with one redeemed bonus.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:49 am

My first App-o-rama

I'm planning on doing my first app-o-rama. My credit scores are around 780 last time I checked (month ago, with some balances). I paid everything off, statement date was 1/16/13 and I should be good to go for the app-o-rama today. My only new card is the USAA which is like 3 years old, all my other cards at like 10+ years old. 1 stupid thing on my credit report that was PAID IN FULL.

I'm not sure which credit monitoring I should use, I would like to know my actual scores today, and then check each day for the next few days. Should I do the USAA monitoring? It doesn't say that it allows daily pulls with the better package...

I have 4 cards now, plus a macys card.
1fbusa, sucks
discover - ok for 5% cashback, plus up to 20% online
chase freedom - ok, but sucks since low limit
usaa - just barely ok

What I applied for:
Citi AA Visa and Amex --- Visa was approved via live chat, Amex - called recon a second time, they said both approved
BoA and BoH Hawaiian Airlines --- Recon only said $5k limit on both or one. I took the BoA signature for $5k. BoH -denied
Amex Hilton HHoners (not Surpass) --- Approved via email
Amex Business Gold - Online status= Denied Called recon, they gave me 20 stupid reasons why I wasn't approved (told me my credit score was 705/SERIOUSLY? That is stupid retarded!
Chase Sapphire Preferred - called recon - Approved
UA Explorer - called recon - Approved

Plans for travel, I'm in NYC, I'd be interested in flying over to either Cali/Vegas/Grand Canyon within the next 2 years with my wife. There also may be a trip to Europe within 2 years, and it would be multi city... Would love to have 1st class, hotel room upgrades, car rental upgrades, and perhaps other perks.

I forgot to do credit monitoring, I was in a crazy rush, my internet stopped working for like 30 minutes and then I got it back and did the apps really fast and forgot to setup credit monitoring first, ohhh well.

The BIG question that I have is when should I start calling reconsideration to check the status of my apps? Today or Tomorrow or when? ANSWER: Call recon right away!

Last edited by killercut; Jan 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.