Search

Which CC for drugstores?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:11 pm
akp
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Which CC for drugstores?

The other thread about best cc for grocery purchases prompted me to ask: what is the best credit card for drugstores?

I have been using the Amex Hilton card with 6x but I'm curious if there is anything better.

A side note: the pharmacy near me has an excellent wine and beer selection. They even have tasting parties every Friday night. I'm guessing that any purchase at this pharmacy will be coded as drugstore, but made a modest purchase to see. I'll be happy if I get 6x on my beer purchases

Anita
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Which CC for drugstores?

I also use HH Amex at drugstores. Sadly in Maryland they can't sell liquor or I would definitely buy all of mine at a drugstore too.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
The no-fee Amex Hilton says it gives 6X at drugstores. If I bought Vanilla reloads/GCs at Walgreens, would this count as a legit purchase at a drugstore for 6X points? Has anyone had this work positively at Walgreens? And if so, is there an annual cap on this? Or would it be classed as a cash advance?

And come to think of it, does Walgreens even accept credit cards for items like that? I know most gas stations don't. In fact, pretty much none.

Last edited by Preacher7; Aug 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I know Walgreens and all the drugstores in my area allow you to pay with a credit card if you purchase gift cards. I don't know about mass amounts of purchases but when I needed one or two gift cards as actual gifts for someone I paid with my credit card. Never checked to see how it was coded but I assume it would be coded as a purchase. Best way to figure out is to try it.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
No, you cannot buy Moneypak at Walgreens with a credit card. More accurately, their POS will let you put the $4.95 fee onto a credit card, but the remaining $x to $500 load must be done with cash. Maybe just stick to the $500 visas that cost $504.95.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I also use the basic Hilton Amex for pharmacy purchases.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Time to bring this thread back and get some new opinions...

With the recent changes to the AMEX Hilton cards, there is no longer a bonus of any kind for drugstore/pharmacy purchases. And with the changes to Hilton's program, I'm not even sure I'd keep the card if there were.

My family spends a decent amount each month on pharmacy purchases. Is there any other card out there that gives a bonus (not a quarterly/rotating bonus, but an everyday/everytime bonus) for pharmacy spend? Or should I just stick to my Chase Sapphire Preferred for this type of spend now?
Old May 14, 2013, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Time to bring this thread back and get some new opinions...

With the recent changes to the AMEX Hilton cards, there is no longer a bonus of any kind for drugstore/pharmacy purchases. And with the changes to Hilton's program, I'm not even sure I'd keep the card if there were.

My family spends a decent amount each month on pharmacy purchases. Is there any other card out there that gives a bonus (not a quarterly/rotating bonus, but an everyday/everytime bonus) for pharmacy spend? Or should I just stick to my Chase Sapphire Preferred for this type of spend now?
Some cards (e.g. US Bank Cash Plus) give a 2% reward on drug stores if that option is selected, but that is of course no better than using a 2% everywhere card. The Thank You Preferred special gives 5% on drug stores for a year, but that offer was recently removed.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:43 am

The Citi HHonors card still gives 3 pts at drugstores. Not so great all things considered.
Old May 14, 2013, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by rajuabju
Are you talking about real pharmacy purchases to cure diseases or about buying expensive yummy items like ice cream with certain flavors?
If it is for a pharmaceutical use, then your best bet might be to take a look at CVS/Walgreens/RiteAid gift cards from various sources, such as:
http://www.giftcardgranny.com/store/cvs/
Old May 19, 2013, 8:07 pm

pharmacy %

I moved all my pharmacy purchases to supermarkets with the amex pref. 6% and they are much cheaper then CVS/Walgreens etc
Old May 19, 2013, 8:21 pm

Here are some credit cards which offer 2% or more at Pharmacy.

1) Citi Preferred TY MasterCard- New sign up required

2) US bank Cash Plus- Need quarterly category selection

3) Chase Amazon visa-

4) BOA AAA visa- For AAA members

5) Priceline visa- Gives 2% on all purchases
Old May 19, 2013, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nishant1
Here are some credit cards which offer 2% or more at Pharmacy.

1) Citi Preferred TY MasterCard- New sign up required

2) US bank Cash Plus- Need quarterly category selection

3) Chase Amazon visa-

4) BOA AAA visa- For AAA members

5) Priceline visa- Gives 2% on all purchases
Where is the first? I only see the 1% version.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:00 pm

Citi Thank you preferred Mastercard 5X promotion application is not online now. You can visit branch to get this promotion
Old May 22, 2013, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Nishant1
Citi Thank you preferred Mastercard 5X promotion application is not online now. You can visit branch to get this promotion
Yes, thanks, just found out that it is still available at branches (though I think it is the Thank You only, not preferred)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.