Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

High Business CC limit lower credit score?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

I just applied for and got a business CC, for a business as an independent contractor. They gave me (what I consider) a huge limit, that I find really excessive, and am afraid it will negatively affect my rating.

A little history. I have 5 credit cards, with total limits about triple my yearly income. I carry no balances, and have no debts. Have a credit rating in the high 700 low 800 depending on the company checking.

Has anyone ever called immediately after getting a CC and asked for the limit to be lowered? Is this a good idea? I am thinking about applying for a home loan soon, and dont want my interest rate to be higher, just to get a few free flights.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Pretty sure you can always ask for a CC company to lower your limit.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
How would a high limit be a negative?
Old May 8, 2012, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Business cards don't show up on your credit report
Old May 8, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Business cards don't show up on your credit report
Some do.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

I have heard that having a high limit will affect your credit score, in regards to being able to pay it back if you suddenly max it out.

My business card is attached to my SS number, so I am assuming it will show on my report, and score.

I guess I am wondering if I ask for a lower limit, will they score me lower because the CC company only gave me a small limit, or will it be a plus because I dont have too much credit available. Or should I just leave it alone.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by QL_714
Some do.
But even if it does, a high limit isn't going to hurt your score.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I just applied for and got a business CC, for a business as an independent contractor. They gave me (what I consider) a huge limit, that I find really excessive, and am afraid it will negatively affect my rating.

A little history. I have 5 credit cards, with total limits about triple my yearly income. I carry no balances, and have no debts. Have a credit rating in the high 700 low 800 depending on the company checking.

Has anyone ever called immediately after getting a CC and asked for the limit to be lowered? Is this a good idea? I am thinking about applying for a home loan soon, and dont want my interest rate to be higher, just to get a few free flights.

Your score is based on the way you manage credit the more credit you have and the less you use is a good thing. No more than a third on anyone card. Limit the number of cards that carry a balance

Your good to go !
Old May 8, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Is this a high limit (without limit) AMEX? Beware the curiosity of the cardinals as they would like to get to know you better. In fact, Fang may invite you to the company BBQ.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Is this a high limit (without limit) AMEX? Beware the curiosity of the cardinals as they would like to get to know you better. In fact, Fang may invite you to the company BBQ.
Fang would sorely be disappointed.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Amex, Citi, and Chase will not report to your personal reports. I don't see any reason to have them lower your limit, if anything (if it does report) it will just help keep your utilization low. If down the road an underwriter or someone else has a problem with it, then call the company and have them lower it.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:01 pm

I had lowered the limit and they raised it next year
Old May 8, 2012, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I had lowered the limit and they raised it next year
See, thats what I have had happen also. Its hard sometimes having good credit.....
Old May 8, 2012, 8:22 pm
xp0

High credit limits just give you more wiggles room to accrue more miles... embrace it my friend, embrace it.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by longhorn11
Amex, Citi, and Chase will not report to your personal reports. I don't see any reason to have them lower your limit, if anything (if it does report) it will just help keep your utilization low. If down the road an underwriter or someone else has a problem with it, then call the company and have them lower it.
the problem with AMEX is that they will report your balance but NOT YOUR LIMIT. enough said

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.