Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

High Business CC limit lower credit score?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High Business CC limit lower credit score?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ive seen first hand where a high limit was considered a negative, it literally said that outright

not to mention i was declined by citi when existing credit was 0.8X HHI

charge cards (that dont report limit) are supposed to be paid off (no balance)
Old May 8, 2012, 8:45 pm

How high is your limit that you are worried about
Old May 8, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by edgewood49
the problem with AMEX is that they will report your balance but NOT YOUR LIMIT. enough said
You're saying your Amex biz card reports your balance to your personal credit report?

Personal Amex charge cards report your balance and obviously no credit limit (since technically there isn't one). That balance is not factored into modern credit scoring models, making it a non factor. If reported correctly, it will report as an open (non-revolving) account, with a monthly term.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Lowering your credit limit will only hurt your scores if the card reports. You want a high limit to maintain low(er) utilization.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:27 am

What is high CC Limit? a huge limit? 50,000+ or 100,000+?
If your income is 50,000, 150,000 total CL (triple the income) is not considered to be huge

Last edited by prasha11; May 9, 2012 at 12:43 am
Old May 9, 2012, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by prasha11
What is high CC Limit? a huge limit? 50,000+ or 100,000+?
If your income is 50,000, 150,000 total CL (triple the income) is not considered to be huge
Really? Guess I am worrying for nothing. Mind boggling to me how a CC company could expect payoff from someone with an income of $50g and CC debt of $150g.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Really? Guess I am worrying for nothing. Mind boggling to me how a CC company could expect payoff from someone with an income of $50g and CC debt of $150g.
My total limits exceed my individual income by 7 fold and my household income by almost 2 fold.

Available credit <> debt.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
My total limits exceed my individual income by 7 fold and my household income by almost 2 fold.

Available credit <> debt.
Hmm....assume you make 100k a year. It would mean that your credit limit is 700k (7 times individual income). It would also mean your spouse/other source of income makes 350k (2 times househound income), or about three times as much as you. Lucky you.

Be careful about high limits per credit card company. Personally, if you're not gonna use that much, I'd call to have them decrease the credit limit. Saw a post in another thread of a poster who had his family members get multiple chase cards in short period. One family member had more credit liine (with the same number of new cards) and more older cards than the other. The one who had the bigger credit line got all accounts closed by chase while the one with lower credit line didn't.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by webazoid
Hmm....assume you make 100k a year. It would mean that your credit limit is 700k (7 times individual income). It would also mean your spouse/other source of income makes 350k (2 times househound income), or about three times as much as you. Lucky you.

Be careful about high limits per credit card company. Personally, if you're not gonna use that much, I'd call to have them decrease the credit limit. Saw a post in another thread of a poster who had his family members get multiple chase cards in short period. One family member had more credit liine (with the same number of new cards) and more older cards than the other. The one who had the bigger credit line got all accounts closed by chase while the one with lower credit line didn't.
Your imputations are not far off.

I disagree with your logic about high limits. I've never had an issuer (or auto or mortgage lender) raise an eyebrow over my overall limits.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:46 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by webazoid
...about three times as much as you. Lucky you.
Same here, but I did sacrifice to put her through law school .
Old May 9, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by cwilson830
But even if it does, a high limit isn't going to hurt your score.
It would only hurt your score if you had a high utilization. Example CL $30,000usage $3,000 or 10% is good. CL $9,000 usage $3,000 or 33% is worry some or worse CL of $3,000 and usage of $3,000 is trouble. Now take into account all of your other CC and CL's and add them together.

Last edited by jjmiller69; May 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm
Old May 11, 2012, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Yes, you are worrying for nothing.... because you don't understand the difference between the 'credit limit' and the 'debt'.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
It would only hurt your score if you had a high utilization. Example CL $30,000usage $3,000 or 10% is good. CL $9,000 usage $3,000 or 33% is worry some or worse CL of $3,000 and usage of $3,000 is trouble. Now take into account all of your other CC and CL's and add them together.
This is very true. I use my cards for business and monitor my credit scores monthly. My three scores are usually between 760 and 800. Had some large orders last July and maxed out all of my credit credit cards owing around $200k. My credit scores dipped down to the low 700s for a month. They returned to normal the next month after the cards were paid off.

Last edited by Uh Clem; May 11, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.