Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please don't delete this Wiki.
Some of us still earn Delta miles with this card or may want information about past or grandfathered terms and conditions.

Please do not spread panic about miles not posting until after the 10th of each month.
In most cases, miles post in the evening on the 5th of each month if it's a business day, or else the evening of the next business day. "Miles post for purchases made between (inclusive) 5th day of prior month to 4th day of current month."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Current offer (as of March 2017) is for just 5,000 miles.
https://www.suntrust.com/personal-ba...les-debit-card

Most current 25,000 offer was in-branch only, through May 9, 2016:
INTRODUCING YOUR NEW EVERYDAY GETAWAY CARD: THE SKYMILES® DEBIT CARD.
Ready for a one-of-a-kind debit card that actually rewards you? Here's one that deposits miles directly into your SkyMiles account. You can earn up to 25,000 bonus miles with the SkyMiles World Debit Card from SunTrust. What's more, when you use your Card for everyday purchases, the miles add up quickly — and they'll never expire.

Here's how it works:
• Present this email at your nearest branch, or call 1-800-650-7277 and mention this offer.
• Get 5,000 bonus miles when you open or upgrade to a new qualifying SunTrust Signature Advantage Checking account with a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card and make your first qualifying purchase. If you already have a Signature Advantage Checking account, ask to upgrade your debit card to a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card.
• Get an additional 20,000 promotional bonus miles when you make 20 qualifying purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
Continue to earn miles just for using your Card:
• Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on everyday purchases like groceries, gas and restaurant purchases.1 (up to 4,000 per Card monthly)
• Earn 2 miles per dollar on all direct Delta purchases including flights, Delta Sky Club® passes, in-flight purchases of food and beverages and more.1
• Apply your miles toward upgrades and Award Travel to more than 1,000 destinations worldwide2 on Delta and its partner airlines.
• $75 Annual Fee (reduced fee may apply, ask for details).1
Hurry — this incredible 25,000 bonus mile offer is only available until May 9, 2016.
VISIT YOUR LOCAL BRANCH
    __________________________________________________ _____________

History of Recent Past Offers:

Changes as of 7/25/15 :
    Balanced Banking (no longer available): 95a/f, 1mile/$2 up to 2000 miles, $3000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Signature Advantage: $75a/f, 1mile/$1 up to 4000 miles, $25000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Solid Choice: $95a/f, 2m/$1 up to 2000 miles, $5000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee
    SunTrust has a list of items that aren't supposed to earn miles, but some do anyway: cash advances, cash back, ATM transactions, tax payments, payments for stored value cards, wire transfers, money transfers, money orders, cashier checks, quasi cash, travelers cheques, purchase of monetary instruments

-----------------------------------------------------------
    If SunTrust closed your account, it would be great if you could share a little info about the account history.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Print Wikipost

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
    Originally Posted by flyaxa
    Maybe I should post in the Evolve thread, but it does not look like my Evolve payment posted for this past period. ST has the transaction description as "RECURRING CHECK CARD PURCHASE VESTA"

Anyone else have problems with Evolve?
    Also received no points for 2 Evolve payments.
    Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
    Originally Posted by ncSam
    Has anyone received 1099s from the payment processors we all use? Staying under the 200 transaction limit isn't hard, but staying under the $20k limit is.
    It's 200 transactions AND $20K, not OR.
    Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: All of em...
    Maybe I should post in the Evolve thread, but it does not look like my Evolve payment posted for this past period. ST has the transaction description as "RECURRING CHECK CARD PURCHASE VESTA"

Anyone else have problems with Evolve?
    Bolding mine. Recurring check card purchase was how they labeled Venmo too, so maybe anything they mark as recurring, aka, what they think isn't a purchase but moving money, they aren't crediting.
    Old Mar 8, 2014, 10:56 pm

The bank's site currently says

"The Delta SkyMiles Debit Cards are issued by SunTrust Banks, Inc. and are available in AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV and Washington D.C. "

Any way to get around that? I'll be visiting FL soon, but how could I get them to open an account if I don't live there?
    Old Mar 9, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
    Originally Posted by coltonatx

"The Delta SkyMiles Debit Cards are issued by SunTrust Banks, Inc. and are available in AL, AR, FL, GA, MD, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV and Washington D.C. "

Any way to get around that? I'll be visiting FL soon, but how could I get them to open an account if I don't live there?
    Just apply online. You don't need to be a resident of those states.
    Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:54 pm

Quote:

Just apply online. You don't need to be a resident of those states.
    I guess I'll have to spend more time reading this thread. I've read rumors of people being shut down when they're unable to provide an address in a state that has a physical branch.
    Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:51 am

I have read this as well. Thouh im not sure if thats the only factor for closure. For instance would an account be closed if you didnt use the card in any discernable way from the average customer (no churning)? I doubt it.
    Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
    I have read this as well. Thouh im not sure if thats the only factor for closure. For instance would an account be closed if you didnt use the card in any discernable way from the average customer (no churning)? I doubt it.
    Numerous reports of shutdowns by SunTrust on cards used for churning. One of the most recent here:

http://milenomics.com/2014/03/suntru...wings-clipped/

Getting a ST debit card for churning may prove to be a poor investment of time.
    Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:12 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
    Numerous reports of shutdowns by SunTrust on cards used for churning. One of the most recent here:

Versus getting it for use without MS, which will definitely prove to be a poor investment of time.
    Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P

did you see how much he was MSing through it? 50K a month!!
    Old Mar 10, 2014, 2:44 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Define Churning.

Also, are you saying the blogger earning 50K to 60K miles a month for several months before ST shut him down is a poor investment of his time? That would be a rather nouveau concept to most here.

These are in the comments part of the post you linked to:

BeachMiles
    March 3, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I just received my ST Delta Debit this week, after 2 years without one. I live in a ST state and plan to start off slowly and build. ” Between 50 and 60. ” . Is that thousands? If so I need to get more aggressive. Thanks to you and to Gary.

Milenomics
    March 3, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Jim: Correct.

Had his card not been broken into 2 pieces, he could still keep going for who knows how long it could be.

There are some quite interesting nuggets in the comment section of the article. The biggest take away is, someone making 250K on the card has NOT put in a single "small, everyday charge" on that card, and nothing is every smaller than $500...

So in 4 to 6 months time, the blogger has gotten 200 to 300K miles per your claim of "churning" and it is a poor investment of his time?

Just how many folks here would spend that amount via "everyday charges" on that ST card?

Originally Posted by dsauch
    did you see how much he was MSing through it? 50K a month!!
    Yup. For the few months he ramped this up, he could very well take in 200K in already in just a few months of time before the account is shut down. It might take 5 to 7 years to earn that via the "everyday charges", not to mention the opportunity cost elsewhere for putting the real spend on this card.

Originally Posted by josephstern
    Versus getting it for use without MS, which will definitely prove to be a poor investment of time.
    Well put.

Much better to take in hundreds of K's in just a few months than multiple years to reach just a portion of it if no MS. The "everyday charges" usage of this card not only is a poor investment of time but its also a poor investment of one's money! Let's not forget the $75 annual fee on the card even if you can generate $10K "everyday spending" on that card, you are still buying miles at a rather expensive rate unless you desperately need those miles. Better to just do the AMEX DL card once every 24 months instead.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 10, 2014 at 3:02 pm
    Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:53 pm

I have enjoyed this card of some time and has been a key weapon in my arsenal. With that said, I try not to overtly abuse it and only run through my actual income monthly and have my paychecks deposited there. I've had no issues, thus far, other than the venmoling slow down.....
    Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:08 am

[REVISED] Suntrust Bank Skymiles Check Card Offer [5k + 5k after $1k]

I've read through the pages, and please correct me if I'm mistaken.

*ST no longer gives mikes for Vinmeo and WM MO, correct?

*WM BP/BB still works, correct?

*Does any1 know how ST can possibly know you're buying a MO from WM? There are other grocery stores that offer the same product. I wonder if it would work at other places.
    Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
    Venmo Dead.
    Evolve possibly Dead.
    As far as I know WM MO is still alive.
    Old Mar 14, 2014, 8:18 am

I've read through the pages, and please correct me if I'm mistaken.

*ST no longer gives mikes for Vinmeo and WM MO, correct?

*WM BP/BB still works, correct?

*Does any1 know how ST can possibly know you're buying a MO from WM? There are other grocery stores that offer the same product. I wonder if it would work at other places.
    As long as the charge on your statement shows up as a general purchase from the store you're buying the MO from then there's nothing they can do about it. That's why the MO from WM work. They just show up as a general WM check card purchase not a MO purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.