Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Metal Credit Cards, Important to you? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Metal Credit Cards, Important to you? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Seems that many premier cards are now coming out with Metal cards.
In 1966 American Express introduced the Gold card, Platinum in 1984. VISA and MasterCard mimicked and then devalued these designations because they cannot effectively control the issuing banks. See Forbes:

By the mid-1990s, gold and platinum credit cards were no longer unique to AmEx. MasterCard and Visa credit cards also began to use the terms as a sign of exclusivity. In 1998, each of the eight largest banks in the U.S. issued a “gold” credit card, and three of the eight issued a “platinum” card, according to a study from the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.

These “exclusive” deals quickly became not-so-exclusive. In a frenzy to clinch market share, some major issuers sent out preapproved platinum and gold credit card offers to massive mailing lists. By the first quarter of 2002, almost a third of households held platinum credit cards,
... the same has happened with VISA Signature and MasterCard World, and is happening now with MasterCard World Elite and perhaps with VISA Infinite.

Likewise, American Express introduced the metal (titanium) version of the Centurion card 2004~2006, and now other issuers are mimicking it to the point that it will no longer seem distinctive.

Even though posters in this thread seem indifferent to metal cards, there was a great deal of enthusiasm when American Express (USA) introduced the metal version of the Platinum card:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etal-card.html
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
When the AMEX metal card first came out folks stampeded to get a new one ASAP! I was like, "Why?"
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
A follow-up to my post from yesterday, about the old designs... I wish some banks would go retro and offer the original artwork.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:51 am

Because the Centurion card is an excellent card to open packages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.