Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Metal Credit Cards, Important to you? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Metal Credit Cards, Important to you? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Is a Metal card important to you? Why?

Seems that many premier cards are now coming out with Metal cards.

Seems like the exclusivity is no longer limited.

Is the metal card important to you and why?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred to Credit Card Programs because the universe extends beyond Chase. A previous discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...dit-cards.html
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by trikotret
Whenever my card gets worn out, I order a new card cause numbers are hard to see.
Well, since this post, I've had to have my plastic Plat replaced two times since due to wearing out; I just got the metal Plat a couple of months ago, and this one might just hold up!
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Eh, I mostly don't care either way. Benefits and rewards are far more important.

On the other hand, if we're not going to get PINs or contactless on our cards, having them be metal would be an okay consolation prize. (On that note, are metal cards more of a US thing?)
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta, IHG
The novelty ran out pretty quickly. I used to get comments a lot but now everyone has a metal card. Even an Amazon Prime card is metal (same grade as CSP/CSR) which is easily obtainable with no annual fee (outside the Prime membership cost). Maybe next they will all fight to have the weight of the Ritz card, but I see things moving more and more to smartphones in the next couple of years.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Noctilum
The novelty ran out pretty quickly. I used to get comments a lot but now everyone has a metal card. Even an Amazon Prime card is metal (same grade as CSP/CSR) which is easily obtainable with no annual fee (outside the Prime membership cost). Maybe next they will all fight to have the weight of the Ritz card, but I see things moving more and more to smartphones in the next couple of years.
They still need to differentiate between the various cards, so I doubt they'll all become the weight of the Ritz card.

As for smartphones, NFC still doesn't seem all that used by customers so I'm not sure about that. People might gravitate more towards retailers' mobile apps though.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
As others have said, it isn't the material that matters.

I remember when AMEX came out with Blue, and everyone thought it was so cool looking with the translucent card and metallic blue square. The novelty wears off rather quick.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I find the metal card to be stupid. It is heavier in the wallet. It is more difficult to dispose the card. It is not any easier or harder to use the metal card physically at the merchant.

I am more concerned with ease of use at the merchant.

I like Contactless cards.

I could care less about a metal card.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld

I remember when AMEX came out with Blue, and everyone thought it was so cool looking with the translucent card and metallic blue square. The novelty wears off rather quick.
I actually wouldn't mind more translucent cards. I wonder why AmEx was the only one that seemed to have them.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I find the metal card to be stupid. It is heavier in the wallet. It is more difficult to dispose the card. It is not any easier or harder to use the metal card physically at the merchant.

It is possible to have contactless with metal cards, though it seems to require thinner metal which some might not be a fan of. AmEx Platinum is one example of such a card.

Also, I'm always worried when I have to insert my CSR into a motorized reader. I've never had problems with those but still, it seems like it could potentially get stuck one day.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find the metal card to be stupid. It is heavier in the wallet....
+1. :-: I think metal cards are stupid. They fall out of wallet easily and have no real benefit other than look and feel.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:07 am

It is important to me because I would have so many more UR points if the Chase Freedom Unlimited is metal. My wife has CSR and CFU. I told her to use the CFU unless it is for dining then use the CSR. She put everything on the CSR because she likes the metal card.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Seems that many premier cards are now coming out with Metal cards.

I really don't care what the card looks like, or what it's made of. As I posted before on one of these forums, they could go back to the plain ol' MC and Visa designs with the thick stripes or the big circles, and Amex just be the green card, for all I care.

My main concern is perks, points, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

I agree.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:29 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by Noctilum
Even an Amazon Prime card is metal (same grade as CSP/CSR)...
The Amazon Prime is a pretty flimsy metal, easily the most flimsy of the three metal cards in my wallet (Capital One Venture, Chase Amazon, and AMEX Platinum for Ameriprise).

Not sure why Chase opted to have the Sapphire Reserve at 13g but the Ritz at 28g, and the JP Morgan Reserve at 27g either.

I like the idea of metal cards because they're more durable than the traditional plastic ones. I also think they should be reserved for those cards that cost $450+ a year and should also be made heavier than what most issuers are giving out right now (besides JPM Reserve and Ritz).

Personally I like to have a solid feeling card and not some flimsy plastic card if it costs hundreds of dollars a year.

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld

I've had an AMEX Blue since last November and I still think it looks rather cool... Definitely one of my favorite cards in my wallet.

Last edited by mikesyr18; Aug 17, 2017 at 3:36 am
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:23 am

Nope. It does not improve rewards on my spend. I wouldn't say that metal cards are stupid. I haven't had problems with them falling out of my wallet. As for durability, the plastic coated ones like the CSP & CSR still scratch easily while the metal core makes them more difficult to destroy.

To add to the above, exclusivity doesn't matter to me. I don't select my cards to try to impress others. Each has his/her own priorities but if someone is easily impressed by what a card you have is made out of them does that person's opinion really matter to you? Is it really an accomplishment to impress the easily impressed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.