Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:22 am
Original Poster

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Just got off the phone with CS from AMEX. Asked if the metal card will be contactless and they said it is not. Also, their replacement card system has crashed so they are unable to issue any new cards at this time, no word on when it will be back up.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:41 am

Just got off the phone also with a rep and she told me we could request the metal card starting at 9 am EST. I'm chatting with a customer rep online now and asked if I could request the metal card now. After a few security questions, he processed it fine.

Also, make sure to tell them to next day air it if you want the card ASAP. The rep sent mines via USPS and when I asked about it, he says he can't change it since he already submitted it. He didn't even ask me what shipping method I want. I've always been asked if I wanted it via UPSP or UPS.

Last edited by s0ju; Mar 30, 2017 at 12:48 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:42 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
American Express Platinum (USA) metal card

I figured I would create a thread outside the new benefits megathread for reports on getting the new metal card.

It is reportedly made from stainless steel and falls between a Chase Sapphire and a Ritz-Carleton Rewards card in terms of weight.

The only photos so far seem to have been posted by tpg.

I requested a new card a few minutes ago and was informed that it would arrive to my home in Germany on April 4. Surely those having the cards shipped within the US will receive them much sooner.

I'm sure that many don't care about the new card, but for those that do, share your experiences requesting and getting the new card, and hopefully some photos and impressions over the next few days.

EDIT: Looks like cards sent within the US are arriving as early as 31 March (VFTW).

Last edited by C W; Mar 30, 2017 at 5:28 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by C W
I figured I would create a thread outside the new benefits megathread for reports on getting the new metal card.

It is reportedly made from stainless steel and falls between a Chase Sapphire and a Ritz-Carleton Rewards card in terms of weight.

The only photos so far seem to have been posted by tpg.

I requested a new card a few minutes ago and was informed that it would arrive to my home in Germany on April 4. Surely those having the cards shipped within the US will receive them much sooner.

I'm sure that many don't care about the new card, but for those that do, share your experiences requesting and getting the new card, and hopefully some photos and impressions over the next few days.
I requested mine a few hours ago. It will be here Friday or Monday. I had to wait a few minutes to get someone on the phone. Other than that very quick and easy process.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:20 am
C W

Originally Posted by zug152
I requested mine a few hours ago. It will be here Friday or Monday. I had to wait a few minutes to get someone on the phone. Other than that very quick and easy process.
I had a bit longer wait than usual as well. I wonder if it's because a lot of people are actually requesting it or if it's just because we're calling in the middle of the night
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:38 am

odd: just got off the phone with them and they said it will be ready by at least 7pm eastern and to call back then or do it online; there should be an option for a metal card in Card Management.

I'm on eastern time if that makes a difference.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:42 am
C W

Originally Posted by SpootyPuff
odd: just got off the phone with them and they said it will be ready by at least 7pm eastern and to call back then or do it online; there should be an option for a metal card in Card Management.

I'm on eastern time if that makes a difference.
Very strange. Despite the fact that I live in Germany, my card is US-issued and I called the US service number. Would have been around 3am ET. Had no problems at all. If you see the link in my original post Gary Leff had no problem requesting a card either.

Maybe you should just call back right away. You could always have gotten a misinformed agent.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by C W
Very strange. Despite the fact that I live in Germany, my card is US-issued and I called the US service number. Would have been around 3am ET. Had no problems at all. If you see the link in my original post Gary Leff had no problem requesting a card either.

Maybe you should just call back right away. You could always have gotten a misinformed agent.
Curious, are you able to see the option to request for a metal card in your online account? I don't see that option for me.

I waited 20min to get an agent... I'm assuming maybe the huge influx of requests was much bigger than they anticipated that they needed to pull it out for some reason and putting it back up in a few hours - thats just my assumption though.

I used to work for a top commercial bank and when they rolled something huge for their online banking, .... would hit the fan and they retract it for a few hours to make changes before rolling it back out.

I'll try again here in a bit on my way to work - I've got a +/-20min commute so it's perfect.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:14 am

Curious, are you able to see the option to request for a metal card in your online account? I don't see that option for me.

I waited 20min to get an agent... I'm assuming maybe the huge influx of requests was much bigger than they anticipated that they needed to pull it out for some reason and putting it back up in a few hours - thats just my assumption though.

I used to work for a top commercial bank and when they rolled something huge for their online banking, .... would hit the fan and they retract it for a few hours to make changes before rolling it back out.

I'll try again here in a bit on my way to work - I've got a +/-20min commute so it's perfect.
I put my request in 8:10EST
you have to go under card management > request replacement card.
it asks why you want a replacement and "metal card" is an option

it gave me 2 shipping options, both $0 one arrive by april 4th and another by march 31st so i selected tomorrow
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:15 am
C W

I can't see a request option. I can see that it was requested, however. Perhaps that's why a request option is not available for me.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
Contactless Feature Unknown

I requested a metal card via chat and throughout the process, I kept saying metal chip with contactless. Very frustrating after being told everything is OK that one final confirmation and they couldn't say if it's contactless. I guess I'll call to confirm later today or find out in the mail on the 31st. Does anyone know if this feature is available
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by miketravelparty
...Does anyone know if this feature is available
No one will really know until they have the card in their hand. It can take multiple requests to obtain a plastic contactless card from American Express, so even if they tell you that's what they are shipping I wouldn't have confidence.

Last edited by mia; Mar 30, 2017 at 6:31 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:34 am

Called back again and got another agent who processed it with no hiccups and I also only waited 1 minute versus the 20min earlier.

She did confirm that the systems were down earlier and they were instructed to give customers a couple hours estimate for those requesting the metal card.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by geoffk
I put my request in 8:10EST
you have to go under card management > request replacement card.
it asks why you want a replacement and "metal card" is an option

it gave me 2 shipping options, both $0 one arrive by april 4th and another by march 31st so i selected tomorrow
Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Just got off the phone with Amex.

Total call time took 9 minutes, with the card being expedited via UPS arriving tomorrow.

Rep said call volume for the metal card was unexpectedly high, but I didn't have any issues!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.