Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Posts from 1/1/16 onward can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1739359-2016-onward-usa-emv-cards-availability-q-chip-pin-signature.html

EMV wikipost volunteers: kebosabi

What is EMV?
EMV is a defacto global standard of technology where there is a visible microchip on the front of the card. It looks like this:

Who issues them?
See Google Docs spreadsheet in Post #1

SFOAMS also has created a list of excellent webpage that shows US EMV cards in a more interactive interface

Another site, which lets you narrow the search for an EMV card by various parameters, is http://www.spotterswiki.com/emv/index.php.

Several credit unions issue some form of Chip-and-PIN credit cards or prepaid cards. Prepaid EMV cards however are not recommended due to junk fees. USAA (currently restricted to members of military) used to offer Chip-and-PIN cards, but as late has backtracked to Chip-and-Signature priority.

Hey that's a cool Google Docs list! I know others that aren't on that list. How can I help by adding them to the list?
My bad for not putting this into the wiki sooner. Right now, the Google Docs is locked out of editing and only in "read-only" view because there were instances in the past where people would just delete the rows not thinking that it affects others viewing the list.

If you promise not to delete any rows and input all the pertinent info (annual fee, rewards, FTF, etc.), I can provide you with edit access. Just shoot me a PM to kebosabi with your gmail address and I'll provide you edit access.

Thanks for helping out!

As of October 2014, no USA-based card issuer offers Chip-and-PIN priority cards except for BMO Harris (Diners Club) and UN Federal Credit Union. Other major USA-based banks such as BofA, Chase, Citi, as well as others issue Chip-and-Signature cards which may work at many automated kiosks. However, bear in mind the word may is used above is a context where there is no absolute certainty of success for certain environments such as automated kiosks due to different natures of offline and online transactions. It is highly recommended to read Post #3 which lists real life FTer examples on how Chip-and-Signature worked and did not work at various transaction environments.

Can I upgrade it right now?
If it's listed on that Google Docs spreadsheet or SFOAMS' Silk page, wouldn't hurt to call/twitter them for a free upgrade. If you get the response you don't like, hang up, try again.

What is the difference between Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN?
You insert the chipped card into the slot. The physical contact terminal will read the EMV chip and the terminal will automatically read the preferred cardholder verification methods (called CVM) for that card.

Chip-and-Signature means that the terminal will printout a receipt for you to sign. This is the most prevalent authentication for most US issued EMV cards. Chip-and-Signature helps in a way that it will get through to face-to-face merchant transactions where you and the merchant do not speak the same language.

Chip-and-PIN means that the terminal will prompt you to input a PIN for authentication. Some credit union issued credit cards will have this CVM as secondary if Chip-and-Signature cannot be done. Chip-and-PIN is the more prevalent method of authentication used outside the US, especially in transaction environments where no human interaction is needed (i.e. automated gas pumps, toll roads, train kiosks, etc.).

The Google Docs spreadsheet will list which CVM are used in the EMV cards listed. Some cards can only do Chip-and-Signature. Other cards can do both Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN. And others might have a third option called No CVM (no authentication needed) which is reserved for low value transactions.

One chip can hold a lot more data, therefore it is capable of doing multiple verification methods. That's one of the great things about EMV over the mag-stripe which can hold very little data.

I want to know for sure what my EMV chip does. Is there anyway I can test out my own EMV card to see what the CVM list is?
alexmt has written up a nice step-by-step procedure on Post #3615.

If most of the EMV cards in the US is the Chip-and-Signature type, doesn't that mean it's still useless abroad?
Depends if you see it as glass half empty or glass half full. See Post #3 for further details on how Chip-and-Signature has worked both successfully and unsuccessfully depending on the merchant transaction environment and use your best judgment whether which one is right for you.

Are there any places in the US that are accepting transactions via the EMV chip?
tmiw has created a dedicated Google maps webpage to show where EMV has been proven to work here: http://emvacceptedhere.com/ Per his Post #4240, feel free to add any places with active EMV terminals if you come across one.

As of 2014/05, the EMV terminals in most Walmarts and Sam's Clubs are being turned on. Hence, the best place to try them out would be your local Walmart or Sam's Club. For other merchants, it's slowly being phased in.

I hope people will post them in the Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US thread. cvarming has shown us an EMV transaction receipt from Brooklyn, NY in Post #2380. I myself had my first EMV based (Chip-and-Signature) transaction in two stores in the Los Angeles area, as shown in detail in Post #2705 (courtesy of WhatWhatTech for pointing these two stores out)

I don't want a chip in my card. I heard horror stories all over the media saying hackers can steal my credit card info from a mile away.
There are two types of chips. One is contactless and the other is contact. Cards can be either one or the other, or both.

In the Google Docs spreadsheet, the cards that are capable of contactless payments are listed seperately under the "RFID or NFC contactless chip" column. If it says yes, then that means it has the ability to do contactless payments. If it says no, it doesn't have that feature.

The one that the media has overhyped about hackers "stealing your information wirelessly" was the contactless type like this:

You are worried about this happening, right?

You don't have to worry. EMV is a chip standard that can have both contact and contactless interfaces. With the traditional contact interface, this means you actually have to physically insert the chip into a POS terminal for it to be authorized, like this:

With the contact interface, nothing is wireless. No data is sent out in a stand-alone contact type EMV chip. With the EMV contactless interface, data is sent wirelessly.

Furthermore, contactless chip cards are required to show a symbol (looks like Wi-Fi symbol) somewhere on the card that to denote it's capability as a contactless card. For example, here's an example of a Discover Card with contactless capability (in which Discover calls "Discover ZIP") showing the contactless symbol on the back of the card:

Don't believe everything that the media says. Besides, millions of people all over the world from London to Singapore, uses contactless payments daily in extremely crowded subways and mass transit with nary any problems. There are multiple layers of encrypted securities and keys that are needed to break the code.

Frankly, giving your physical card to a waiter/waitress who takes the card out of your view is much more susceptible to fraud than contactless payments.

Why should I care?
If you are an international traveler, you will want this because majority of the world has or in the process of converting to this payment format.

In fact, in 2012, even North Korea moved to the EMV format, leaving the US as one of the countries in the world that hasn't done so.

In addition, VISA, MC, AMEX, and Discover have all agreed to incentivize the USA shifting to EMV payments by 2015 by shifting liability for fraudulent transactions to merchants if they do not have EMV equipment and the cardholder has an EMV card. So if you travel internationally or would like to get one before the others, you might be interested in getting one.

BS! I had no problems using my card in [insert whereever country], [insert whatever point in time]
If you stick to the tourist path where they have lots of visitors from the US, you should have no problems using your mag-stripe only card in hotels and restaurants, at least for now. But as things can change as things go forward.

However, consider that once you start taking the off-beaten path, go to non-touristy places where they are not familiar with mag-stripes, rent a car and use toll roads, fill up gas, or try to buy train tickets you might end up into a trouble of the machine not recognizing your card because it lacks the chip. Furthermore, a lot of toll roads, gas pumps, and automated ticket machines lack any human assistance to help you when you need it the most.

But [insert credit card company] told me all merchants that display their logo must accept them! All I have to do is report them for violating their agreements, right?
There are several factors against this.

1. You can only speak English. The merchant representative, most likely a part-time clerk earning minimum wage, speaks in a different language, let's say French. If you have no French language skills, how are you going to get your point across? Are you going to whip out your cell phone at exorbitant int'l roaming charges and hope the customer service is going to translate it for you on the spot? Or maybe you might actually know French. But how about Swahili, Farsi, Balinese, or the multiple languages in mainland China?

2. Just like US, the rest of the world's businesses uses part-time minimum wage workers as cashiers to cut down on labor costs. Most of their SOP training manuals are written by MBA types to not to do anything they are not familiar with. Do not expect them to understand the intricate details of credit card mumbo jumbo. You don't expect Taco Bell employees to understand the minute details of Discover-JCB-Union Pay agreements, right? Same thing the other way around: be respectful as a guest in their country, prepare in advance in their ways, avoid being an "ugly American" stereotype.

3. You are a guest in their country. You are a minority. If 99.9% of their country's people and other tourists from around the world uses EMV, do you really think they are going to accomodate the 0.1% of American tourists who only have mag-stripes credit cards?

4. Again, you are a guest in their country. How would you, as an American standing in line, react if a Chinese tourist was clogging up the lines at a local Taco Bell because the clerk doesn't understand the Discover-Union Pay agreement and has trouble communicating between Mandarin spoken by the tourist and English spoken by the Taco Bell clerk? Same way the other way around. You do not want to clog up the lines for everyone. The less hassle, the better.

5. VISA and MC make tons of money from merchants in that country. Say SNCF French Rail. It's a billion dollar company in France. Do you think VISA is going to pull the plug of their relationship with SNCF because SNCF refuses to do mag-stripe processing at their unmanned train station kiosk? Of course not. Be realistic.

6. And lastly, if you're up against an unstaffed toll kiosk, gas pump or train ticket machine, are you going to yell curses at the machine?

But I want my credit card to be able to be used in the US too!
No worries. They have not gotten rid of the mag-stripe on the back of the card for backward compatibility reasons, just like we still have embossed numbers on our cards for backwards compatibility to using those old carbon copy imprinters.

[insert own Hyatt card image front and back together with red arrows pointing to all the backward compatibility features]

You use the chip on the front of the card abroad (for now), and the mag-stripe just like any other card for the US. Basically, you're increasing your credit card's acceptance rate by getting a card that both via the chip and the mag-stripe. You're getting a better deal for free.

And when 2015 comes along and US switches to EMV, you'll be way ahead of everyone else too!

So why did the rest of the world and the US moved/moving toward EMV?
Primarily, due to fraud concerns. You see, the mag-stripe has been with us since the 1950s. It may have been the most high tech thing back in the day, but with the technology that is available today, any shmo can pick up a $100 USB magnetic card skimming device off of eBay and get your credit card info.

And unlike skimming off contactless cards which actually need the person to have l33t programming skills, skimming off a magnetic stripe has become so ubiquitous that nary a day goes about skimming fraud going on somewhere in America, from gas pumps, Michael's stores (2011), Target breaches (2013), restaurant waiters/waitresses, to even McDonald's drive thrus.

https://www.google.com/search?q=skimming+fraud

These type of fraud used to be prevalent in Europe. But once they started switching over to EMV starting over 2 decades ago, this type of fraud went elsewhere. It went over to Asia, Canada and Mexico, Latin America, etc. etc. until they too began implementing EMV to combat skimming fraud. The US is practically the only country left that hasn't done so, therefore all the fraud that used to take place elsewhere is now happening here.

But EMV is old and it's not fool proof. Shouldn't we just skip over it and do something new instead?
Yes, EMV is old. It was developed in the 1990s and its smart card payment predecessor was first introduced in France. But as of today, it has become the defacto global standard of payments.

But then, what else is there? There is no other de facto global standard of payments alternative. For example, if we decide to skip over it and do something new, hypothetically like DNA matching technology, it still means US int'l travelers will continue to have problems abroad with useless plastic acceptance because no other country is using this DNA matching technology except the US.

Besides, nothing is fool proof. You can say that the bank vault isn't fool proof because you can crack it open if enough C4 is used. But your average low-life scumbag isn't likely to get military grade C4 easily either. But the bank vault does make it harder to get the bank's money over say a petty cash box. That's the point here. EMV is akin to a security tight bank vault, the old mag-stripe is akin to a petty cash box lying around inside the drawer.

I'm a business owner and I don't think EMV is going to take off. I'm not going to spend extra hundreds of dollars to upgrade my credit card machine. Convince me other wise why I should.
I can understand the added extra cost to your business once this switchover takes place. But before even saying that, look at your existing POS terminal. Does it have a slot somewhere to insert a card?

Most likely, if you had replaced your POS terminal within the past five years, you already have an EMV capable terminal. EMV is basically just not turned on yet from the processor and acquirer side.

If you have an EMV capable terminal, then a best bet would be to contact your acquirer to have the EMV feature turned on. You did your end of the deal already by having an EMV capable terminal, it is now the acquirers' responsibility to turn it on in accordance to the EMV switchover mandate.

And if you don't, you are going to replace your POS terminal anyway from common wear and tear. It isn't a hard switch-over. You can continue to use your POS terminal until it dies out because EMV cardholders will still have the mag-stripe on the back. And by the time your non-EMV capable POS terminal is up for replacement the market will be full with these newer POS terminals that can accept the mag-stripe, EMV, as well as contactless payments.

In addition, you may also want to check with your acquirer or processor about EMV capable terminals. Some of them are willing to replace your terminal for free in preparation for the US EMV switchover. Call and ask for details.

But what's in it for me? I'm the one that has to pay for the upgrade.
All the major card networks have given incentives for merchants for the upcoming EMV switchover.

If 75% or more of your credit card transactions are done on an EMV contact and contactless terminal, they are going to waive your annual PCI-DSS fees, which usually costs you around $5.00-$19.95/month per terminal. The overall long term cost savings of those compliance fees will be larger than the cost of an one time upgrade for the terminal.

The downside is that once EMV switchover happens and if you do not have a POS terminal that is able to accept EMV, the fraud liability shifts over to the merchant.

I own several fast food franchises. If I upgrade my POS terminals at all of my restaurants, it's going to cost me thousands, if not millions. I don't think anyone is going to use a fake credit card to buy $5 burgers. And if they do, wouldn't it be cheaper for me to eat the fraud cost?
Remember also that fraud isn't just committed by dishonest customers using fraudulent cards. Fraud can also happen with dishonest employees skimming off credit card data from the mag-stripe as in the case of a teenage McDonald's drive thru employee skimming off $13,000 of customers' credit cards in Olympia, WA. Consider the public relations fall out that your business may have if this happens (i.e. the big Target breach of 2013, where someone used a mag stripe card to load malware INTO Target's system). Is it worth risking to take such a huge PR disaster?
Print Wikipost

USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
So here's an example of a contactless reader I saw on a vending machine here in Australia. I don't have an EMV contactless card though so I couldn't test.

Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by reft
For the issuers, it's fear. They want their card to be as easy to use as their competitor, out of fear if it's less convenient, their competitors card will be used.
My two cents is that with all these news stories about breaches, ease of use is secondary concern now compared to higher standards of security. Never underestimate the public's mindset of prioritizing security over convenience. That's why we have the TSA now. (shudders)

It is a gamble, I agree. But the current atmosphere seems like whichever bank issues the first Chip-and-PIN priority card, may get the first leap into differentiating themselves from the rest who only offer Chip-and-Signature priority.

Originally Posted by reft
If people could set their EMV PIN and knew they could, objections about PIN will disappear. They can use their kids birth date or something they can more easily remember. Reaction to remembering PINS is different if a person is US-typical with 2 or 3 CC's or FT typical with a sock drawer full.
If it's ONLINE Chip-and-PIN, PIN changes can be done over the phone as the PIN is stored on the server. We do have several confirmed FTer reports that online Chip-and-PIN works when entering in the cash advance PIN and did not work using random 0000s or 9999s nor were they charged for cash advance, nevermind clueless CSRs that say that it doesn't.

If online Chip-and-PIN does indeed work as it has been reported, then it's pretty much just the matter of swapping out the coded priority to Chip-and-PIN over Chip-and-Signature. All of that is done at the production level. Doing this doesn't require $$$$ in investment and it gives an optimal result of setting Chip-and-PIN first over Chip-and-Signature.

Now if it's OFFLINE Chip-and-PIN which requires a hard encode to the chip itself, then that's another matter and yes that does require more $$$$ in investment.

Being said that, ONLINE Chip-and-PIN priority shouldn't be that difficult to do and is a step yet in the right direction IMO.

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 12, 2014 at 11:20 pm
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by islandguy84
Let's see here. Why would that happen?

Maybe because EMV cards still have mag stripes on them and as his card is still used for swiping in the USA, I would imagine that cloning the mag strip data and swiping it in a non EMV enabled terminal would work and make EMV pointless for that security use case.

Nice try at marketing his product but he should at the very least state the full facts or am I mistaken above?
He specifically says on his Twitter that the magstripe was skimmed. But then he goes on to say they should have used PayPal... somehow.

Ooookay.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by emvchip
Any business decision is made with the intent to make money. If implementing a PIN infrastructure (ATM changes, etc) doesn't earn a return on investment, don't expect a rational business operator to spend money on it.
I'd disagree with by using the same rebuttal that was used by merchants who balked at the cost of upgrading terminals. Just like POS terminals have end of life and need to be replaced when they break down, ATMs too need to be replaced sooner or later anyway as well.

If it's a machine, it depreciates in value as time goes on, it has an end of life and is bound to breakdown. And when it does, it gets upgraded to newer models.

Just look at the ATMs today. Back in the 1980s, ATMs couldn't read mag-stripes, only embossed numbers. I remember this as my mom's Sumitomo Bank ATM card had no mag-stripe and only embossed numbers. It came with a black-and-white screen, sometime the words were so faded that you couldn't even see what was being displayed. It couldn't even take deposits, only withdrew cash.

Then they got upgraded to those that read mag-stripes.

Then came with ones that took deposits using envelopes. (Back then, people made deposits using the overnight deposit box).

Now, ATMs has a headphone jack for the visually impaired, keypads are in Braille, can show info in multiple languages, handle cash deposits in multiple denominations, deposit checks without any envelopes, and has a touch screen color display. The VCOM ATMs at 7-Eleven can even make check deposits to any number of CU accounts. Some newer model ATMs can even dispense multiple denominations and even accept and dispense coins (Chase and PNC).

Nothing has to be done overnight at the flick of light switch. That's usually the whinings that most of these banks and merchants say "oh noes its gonna cost billions of dollars to replace, waah-waah-waaah." You don't upgrade these things all at once, much like everyone doesn't upgrade to the latest version of Windows whenever Microsoft releases it (FYI, Windows 8 sucks, I still like at as Windows 7). You upgrade naturally, whether it be end of life or you already depreciated the value of your existing investment.

Sooner or later, ATMs has to be replaced anyway as they reach their end of life, and when they do, manufacturers of ATMs will be making the latest models that handle the latest technology at that time. Who says that five to ten years from now, we'd still be using the same ATM that we use today? If anything, ATMs ten years from now, ATMs capable of EMV, EMV PIN changes, and even finger vein verification could be the norm.

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 13, 2014 at 12:46 am
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:56 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by kebosabi
My two cents is that with all these news stories about breaches, ease of use is secondary concern now compared to higher standards of security. Never underestimate the public's mindset of prioritizing security over convenience. That's why we have the TSA now. (shudders)
Ease of use may be secondary for customers, but not for banks. Banks will gladly pay for security breaches in order to keep the cards as easy to use as possible and keep people spending.

It is a gamble, I agree. But the current atmosphere seems like whichever bank issues the first Chip-and-PIN priority card, may get the first leap into differentiating themselves from the rest who only offer Chip-and-Signature priority.
Please remember that not everyone is a Flyertalker. The average American has no clue what "priority" means in this context, and doesn't really care.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Please remember that not everyone is a Flyertalker. The average American has no clue what "priority" means in this context, and doesn't really care.
But the average Americans are hearing more and more reports about this EMV thing thanks to recent breaches and almost every news reports and articles say that we're moving to Chip-and-PIN (despite that we're not).

That being said, people are expecting that new cards to be verified with PIN, not Signature.

What remains to be seen is what will happen when the vast majority of Americans who are expecting EMV from all these news stories to be Chip-and-PIN, finds out that they're getting Chip-and-Signature instead.

Will there be huge public outcry on why banks decided to go with an outdated form of verification, one so big that reverses the banks' decision for the sake of bad publicity? Or will the consumers just accept Chip-and-Signature? This has yet to be seen.

Not everyone is a FTer. But EMV switchover is happening in the US. There is no denying that this is not going to happen. Now, what are the expectations from the consumers that will be getting mass rollout of EMV chipped replacement cards soon? Will they buy into Chip-and-Signature as given to them by the banks, or will they demand Chip-and-PIN as they've been lead to expect by the media?

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 13, 2014 at 12:26 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will there be huge public outcry on why banks decided to go with an outdated form of verification, one so big that reverses the banks' decision for the sake of bad publicity? Or will the consumers just accept Chip-and-Signature? This has yet to be seen.
My guess is that there'll be some token opposition from some consumer groups but ultimately we'll accept C&S. If merchants start looking at signatures more closely though (or at all, even)...
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
My guess is that there'll be some token opposition from some consumer groups but ultimately we'll accept C&S. If merchants start looking at signatures more closely though (or at all, even)...
And I assume that is the bet the banks are making; that Americans will ultimately accept C&S.

But if that bet turns out to be wrong and the public demands C&P as they were lead to believe they're getting, then the banks are in it for a deeper trouble as that means they'll have re-issue all the cards all over again to Chip-and-PIN priority. And that is a huge risk IMO as EMV cards aren't cheap to make.

So after dissecting it through this debate, I guess we can call BS about banks trying to represent consumers by saying that "consumers don't want PIN." The likely reality is that banks don't know either and they're taking a huge gamble if what they're pushing, EMV Chip-and-Signature, will ultimately get accepted by US consumers. If yes, then they get away for cheap. If not, they'll end up wasting their money more because they'll have to re-issue cards all over again.

Whatever it is, as I said before, we're the first of the lot to get EMV cards. Let's all enjoy the show that takes place from now to October 2015.

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 13, 2014 at 12:40 am
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I assume that is the bet the banks are making; that Americans will ultimately accept C&S.

But if that bet turns out to be wrong and the public demands C&P as they were lead to believe they're getting, then the banks are in it for a deeper trouble as that means they'll have re-issue all the cards all over again to Chip-and-PIN priority. And that is a huge risk IMO as EMV cards aren't cheap to make.

Whatever it is, as I said before, we're the first of the lot to get EMV cards. Let's all enjoy the show that takes place from now to October 2015.
There's always a chance that EMV cards get a lot cheaper to make due to the US market having a large number of cards relative to other countries, too.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:51 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

What remains to be seen is what will happen when the vast majority of Americans who are expecting EMV from all these news stories to be Chip-and-PIN, finds out that they're getting Chip-and-Signature instead.
I can tell you exactly what is going to happen: nothing.

Very few people other than international travelers will even notice that they weren't asked for a PIN. If enough hardcore international travelers complain, some small credit union might step up to satisfy them.

Given that there has been no "huge public outcry" about the outdated technology we have been using for the last decade or so, I don't think the absence of a PIN is going to get much attention.

Even today, the initial outcry about the Target breach has largely subsided. After the media stops reporting on it, no one really cares.

So after dissecting it through this debate, I guess we can call BS about banks trying to represent consumers by saying that "consumers don't want PIN." The likely reality is that banks don't know either and they're taking a huge gamble if what they're pushing, EMV Chip-and-Signature, will ultimately get accepted by US consumers. If yes, then they get away for cheap. If not, they'll end up wasting their money more because they'll have to re-issue cards all over again.
The odds of banks having to "re-issue" cards with PINs are practically zero. Even if they decide to change it, they will replace cards as they expire. But I am pretty confident that isn't going to happen, at least not because of a public outcry.

Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
There's always a chance that EMV cards get a lot cheaper to make due to the US market having a large number of cards relative to other countries, too.
That's one part I'd like to know myself too. What is the current production rate of EMV cards in the US today?

EMV switchover is happening in the US means that mass rollout of EMV replacement cards will be needed. October 2015 is only 15 months away. Can the card manufacturers pump out that many cards with only 15 months left to go? If not, are we going to start relying on EMV card production facilities in Canada and Mexico as well? XD
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:05 am

EMV cards are cheap to make really, they're not something magical. All they are is a smartcard. That's it. They're pennies a piece ordered in a large enough quantity from China. Add in programming, printing, etc and I'm guessing $0.25 or so. Add in all the inserts to mail one, there's another $0.20 or so in costs if purchased in bulk. Finally, postage is the biggest single expense.

Total cost to issue an EMV card? Similar to sending you a piece of junk mail or a paper statement.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
Even today, the initial outcry about the Target breach has largely subsided. After the media stops reporting on it, no one really cares.
80,000 recent articles according to Google News that mention "EMV". The best part about this is that all it'll take to bring it back to the front page is for another security breach at another retailer (which hasn't been lacking recently). I doubt it'll really go away until after 2015 rolls around.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by emvchip
As long as the card works for the transaction, why be concerned if a PIN is needed for the bank's fraud model? EMV prevents counterfeit fraud in either case, PIN or not. Any business decision is made with the intent to make money. If implementing a PIN infrastructure (ATM changes, etc) doesn't earn a return on investment, don't expect a rational business operator to spend money on it.
You are quite right about this. Here the deal though and one of the reason this thread has exploded here and the people have carried on so much about it specifically here. Thanks to US liability laws. credit card fraud is really not a big deal to the individual (assuming they are not engaged in any sort of shady dealings). If a card is compromised, it is most assuredly not in and of itself identity theft. It can easily be resolved with a phone call or two and a bit of a hassle if you are using the card for automatic payments of your mobile phone bill for example in contacting the merchant and changing the billing information for that card. If you pay several merchants on the account, and it happens twice in six months, you get a bit angry and understandibly so. But then again, you have to do the same thing when a new card is issued with a new expiratioon date. American liability law is great insofar as you are limited to $50 of liability and I don't know of any bank that attempts to collect even the $50. You are covered in full.

From the bank's view point, the losses due to fraud are a part of doing business and since they're making enormous profits on their credit card operations, the liability causes them to lose what is it, say 7¢ on every $100 of profit. I would take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

But why then have we spent all this time on implementation of emv? Because the people here are apt to be people who travel, who perhaps like me, want to use their credit cards when travelling as the easiest way to handle foreign currencies, bookkeeping as far as reimbursments are concered and perhaps to have a bit of leverage with merchants (once you pay cash for something, it is gone forever. With a credit card, you have a chance albeit that window is closing to a degree). But then why the big deal. Only because many merchants outside the USA are beginning no to take our credit cards. Period. This is what caused all the cnsternation to begin with. It is whybanks such as Chase and Citibank, in response to the cries of their wealthy clients, began issuing emv cards in the first place. These, of course, are the people who will whip out the credit card for most anything increasing their profits.

Now, if the way apparently the American banks are implementing emv, what with this whole business of priority 1 signature, priority 2 pin worked 100% of the time for the intended purpose, there would be no need to argue this out. Sure signature is not as secure as pin but along with the introduction of pin, at least here, will come a change to the liability laws. The problem, as some have discovered and the answer to this long winded response, is that there are a growing number of merchants who do not accept chip and signature cards. It has been drilled into their heads by their cc processors that they are liable in case a transaction requiring a pin is not done with a pin. That is why so many here are incensed. They continue to worry their chip and signature cards do not give them 100% assurance they will always work with merchants outside the USA. Sure fraud is a bit of an issue but when you get down to it, it isn't the cardholder's problem. If it weren't for the reports of some resistance to chip and signature, I wouldn't care that much. I would be a happy camper. Therein, unfortunaely, lies the problem and why implementation of chip and pin here is so contenteous. We should all be playing with a level playing field. I should be able to know that if I wander down a street in London, or Munich, or Tokyo or wherever, my credit card will work. The problem, as I see it, is that in going the direction the US banks seem to be going, namely priority 1 signature, priority 2 pin, they have left out the vital ability in a pos that accepts chip and signature having the merchant say no way Yankee. You need a pin and while that is indeed rare, it is happening.

To the vast majority of Americans who do not travel, it really makes little difference except for the horror stories they hear about fraud and the worry that this can lead to identity theft. That indeed is a problem but I don't think emv solves it or that mere credit card fraud contributes to identify theft when you get right down to it.

My 2 cents, although very wordy, worth.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
USA EMV cards available today (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

I just noticed this story on Slashdot from a few days ago:

http://slashdot.org/story/198019

The comments are driving me crazy. Everything from chips will be wirelessly cloned to Chip and PIN will make you liable for all stolen card fraud.

There's even a guy commenting on how signature is much more secure than PIN. He also happens to be the only person I've found cheering for Chip and Sig as a more secure version of EMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.