Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by dgcom
But in US, people have many more - the issue will be remembering all those PINs.
Of course this is considering that PINs can/cannot be changed at all. If they can be changed to something that's more easy to remember, then Chip-and-PIN could be done.

In addition, it's also worth noting that the EMV chip can hold A LOT more data than a magnetic stripe. It's like comparing a 5.25" 720 KB floppy disk to a 16 GB USB stick. So in the future, signature or PIN may not be the only ones possible. It can also be done like Chip-and-Fingerprint, Chip-and-Retina Scan or Chip-and-partial DNA sample.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Of course this is considering that PINs can/cannot be changed at all. If they can be changed to something that's more easy to remember, then Chip-and-PIN could be done.
Anything easy to remember means easy to guess. Moreover, if people start making PINs the same across their cards (to simplify their life), security is compromised even more.
And the issue with changing PIN is still there - you can request PIN change over the phone for magnetic stripe card, but for Chip card you have to personally appear in the brunch of the issuer bank to do that - all good, if you live nearby. May be, in the distant future, the machines, which can change PIN will be more widespread (cross-bank agreements, post offices, etc.), but given the size of this country, this will take loooong time to happen.

I guess, Chip&PIN will be here eventually, but I do not see it replacing signature cards in foreseeable future.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Uh, PINs on Chip+PIN cards can be changed at ATMs as well. At least, that's my experience with my Canadian Chip+PIN card. One bank even insisted that I had to do it at the ATM and not at the teller.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamar
Uh, PINs on Chip+PIN cards can be changed at ATMs as well. At least, that's my experience with my Canadian Chip+PIN card. One bank even insisted that I had to do it at the ATM and not at the teller.
But can it be done at "network" ATMs not operated by your bank (say, just any other bank anywhere on which you can use your ATM card because of one or another netowrk, such as Plus, CIrrus, etc, that it's on), or does it have to be an ATM operated by your own bank? (Obviously, if you went to the bank and were directed outside, it was an ATM operated by your own bank in that case.)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:37 am

...Yes, only my own bank's machines. I had assumed that most banks would deploy more off-branch ATMs to go with this, but obviously that's incorrect on my part.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Yes, only my own bank's machines. I had assumed that most banks would deploy more off-branch ATMs to go with this, but obviously that's incorrect on my part.
Many people apply for credit cards online, with no regards to whether the bank that offers the credit cards has branches near them or not. And if the point of the card is to earn a certain miles/points currency, there may not be a choice of banks. Up to now that's mattered little, but if changing of chip PIN can only be done at the bank's own machines, it suddenly matters a lot, it would seem.

And my chip + "offline" PIN card (Diners Club MC) is from a bank (BMO Harris) which may have plenty of locations in Illinois but if it truly has any in California (where I live) their website won't find them for me.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:02 am

...point taken. I certainly didn't take the existence of physical Citi locations into account when I got my AAdvantage Visa (my US home base is Tennessee, where there are none, and while there are Citi locations here in Shanghai, they seem to be unable to do anything relating to US-issued cards).
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Uh, PINs on Chip+PIN cards can be changed at ATMs
Only if the ATM is equipped with the hardware and software to re-write the chip. A standard USA ATM which only reads the magnetic stripe will not be able to touch the chip.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by cvarming
And after the 9999 or 0000 you should try the cash-advance PIN. The main reason to use the cash-advance PIN is that offline PIN verification is hardly used outside France and the UK, and online PIN verification often works for mag-stripe cards, and I suspect the same is true for chip-and-sig cards.

I will go to Canada, Spain, Germany, Denmark, and Belgium over the next few weeks with my chip-and-sig CITI premier card and my UK issued chip-and-PIN debit card. I promise to report back.
So I have been doing a little testing in Barcelona using my CITI premier with a global chip.

The Phone Shop, a standard brick-and-mortar store: the POS terminal surprised the teller by printing the receipt for a signature. So chip-and-sig worked and was the default choice.

The Barcelona metro automated kiosks. The POS terminal requested my PIN. I gave it a wrong PIN and it rejected the transaction. I started a new transaction and gave it my cash advance PIN, and the transaction came back good. My PIN is different from the original assigned by CITI, so this must be an instance of online PIN verification. Great. That worked as expected.

So far I have been able to do all transactions using the EMV chip, but the automated kiosks in the metro needs my PIN. And every transaction posted as a standard purchase (not a cash-advance).

I haven't taken this card to France or the UK were off-line PIN verification is common, but outside those countries the chip-and-sig works perfectly when you remember the cash advance PIN.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:53 am

So I have been doing a little testing in Barcelona using my CITI premier with a global chip.

The Phone Shop, a standard brick-and-mortar store: the POS terminal surprised the teller by printing the receipt for a signature. So chip-and-sig worked and was the default choice.

The Barcelona metro automated kiosks. The POS terminal requested my PIN. I gave it a wrong PIN and it rejected the transaction. I started a new transaction and gave it my cash advance PIN, and the transaction came back good. My PIN is different from the original assigned by CITI, so this must be an instance of online PIN verification. Great. That worked as expected.

So far I have been able to do all transactions using the EMV chip, but the automated kiosks in the metro needs my PIN. And every transaction posted as a standard purchase (not a cash-advance).

I haven't taken this card to France or the UK were off-line PIN verification is common, but outside those countries the chip-and-sig works perfectly when you remember the cash advance PIN.
That's very good information! Thank you for sharing these data points.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA G

Did the PIN-based Metro transaction count as a standard purchase, as well?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: SK Diamond

I have the JP Morgan Select card which is Chip and sig also, and I didn't have any problems in the UK at Heathrow Express kiosks, and also in France at SNCF kiosks, both of which only took chip cards. I wasn't asked for a PIN. I was actually surprised that it had worked, given that I had read of problems with the sig cards. However, each transaction was relatively little (no more than £20) so it may be like the US where you don't have to sign if it's under $25 or something like that.

I was also able to request a chip card for my BofA Bankamericard cash rewards, whether the card that shows up will actually have the chip remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful so far!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by cityboy340
I have the JP Morgan Select card which is Chip and sig also, and I didn't have any problems in the UK at Heathrow Express kiosks, and also in France at SNCF kiosks, both of which only took chip cards. I wasn't asked for a PIN. I was actually surprised that it had worked, given that I had read of problems with the sig cards. However, each transaction was relatively little (no more than £20) so it may be like the US where you don't have to sign if it's under $25 or something like that.

I was also able to request a chip card for my BofA Bankamericard cash rewards, whether the card that shows up will actually have the chip remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful so far!

It will!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:14 am

Add Fifth Third to the issuer list, at least for commercial cards to start.

http://www.virtual-strategy.com/2012...mmercial-cards
Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dgcom
Observations:
- looks like using chipped card takes longer to complete transaction, you have to wait until cashier finishes entering an amount before you can insert the card, then, have to be careful and wait until terminal lets you take it out
- some places seems to be surprised when slip for the signature is printed out (understandable, because Canada has mostly Chip&Pin debit cards)
There is more information that has to be read and written to the chip, so that is why it may seem to take longer and why you must keep the card in until the end. In regards to your comment about cashiers having to enter an amount, credit and debit card processing in Canada has on the overall been less 'integrated' with the point of sale systems than what you see in the US.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
As of today, that's correct. However the card might be able to be upgraded to handle Chip-and-PIN in person at the BofA branch once they install the machines that are able to do that.
It's theoretically possible to do those.

offline PIN verification is hardly used outside France and the UK
Actually, offline PIN at point of sale terminals is much more common than you might think. Canada uses offline PIN. In fact, our national debit network, Interac, switched from swipe and PIN (online) to chip and PIN (offline). Online PIN is a big hassle to manage at point of sale.

I would also like to point out that offline vs. online PIN is not related to whether a transaction is processed offline or online. In Canada we use offline PIN but all debit transactions and almost all credit transactions are authorised online.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But can it be done at "network" ATMs not operated by your bank (say, just any other bank anywhere on which you can use your ATM card because of one or another netowrk, such as Plus, CIrrus, etc, that it's on), or does it have to be an ATM operated by your own bank? (Obviously, if you went to the bank and were directed outside, it was an ATM operated by your own bank in that case.)
If there are agreements between your bank and the other bank, then there is no reason why this is not possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.