Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Zantosh
I hear all this talk about chip and pin cards from BofA etc., but have you used it at any of the really true Chip and Pin POS terminals, like the Paris metro, or one of those Paris bike stands?

If it doesn't work there, then it's useless, because, as most other users have pointed out, the regular cards are accepted, or just pay cash.

Can anyone confirm that these chip and signature/pin cards from the US work on stand alone POS terminals?

Thanks,
Z
I used my Andrews FCU chip and PIN at a Paris Metro station in April. Worked fine.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Discover outlines it's EMV roadmap

Although Discover announced that they too were moving to EMV, this is the first time they outlined their plans. It pretty much follows VISA and MC's roadmap, however it also includes Discover's PULSE ATM network as well.

Also of interest is this quote

Originally Posted by Discover
Discover cardmembers also will benefit from the enhanced security EMV provides, as Discover looks to gradually start replacing its current cards with chip cards in the coming years, with initial outreach to frequent travelers.
Haven't heard of seen any Discover Cards with the EMV chip yet, but I guess this means its coming soon.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
I'm chatting with a Discover agent right now. She says the EMV chip cards are already available. I'm requesting one and should have it in 4-6 business days.

EDIT: Turns out she was just ignorant and is sending me a paypass enabled card. Love that comprehensive customer service training.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by djrez4
I'm chatting with a Discover agent right now. She says the EMV chip cards are available right now. I'm requesting one.
And where do you plan to use it internationally? Surely not the Paris Metro.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I'm chatting with a Discover agent right now. She says the EMV chip cards are available right now. I'm requesting one.
When you receive it, please post a pic for verification. ^

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
And where do you plan to use it internationally? Surely not the Paris Metro.
Bilateral agreements allow Discover cards to be used where they Diners Club, JCB, and Union Pay; the latter two fairly prevalent in Asia.

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...ional-use.html

Last edited by kebosabi; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: Flying and sleeping
Turns out it was what Discover calls a "Zip Card" which sounds like Paypass. I cancelled the order. No need to have RFIDs in my cards.

Once she figured out what I meant, she did tell me that the EMV rollout is scheduled for October 2013.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:49 pm

My question is how many people actually use Discover internationally. Yes I know, in theory it is acceptable where Diners is taken (in Canada too?)...but I rarely see DC decals in the shops I haunt mostlyt in London and in Paris......
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
My question is how many people actually use Discover internationally. Yes I know, in theory it is acceptable where Diners is taken (in Canada too?)...but I rarely see DC decals in the shops I haunt mostlyt in London and in Paris......
At least in parts of Japan where they see a lot of American tourists, the merchants are fairly comfortable in taking Discover cards where ever JCB card logos are carried.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
It's far more widely accepted than Visa/MC in China.

No need to have RFIDs in my cards.
Whereas I'm the opposite- I do want to get a contactless card to see if it'll work with UnionPay's equivalent, which gives discounted prices at vending machines and buy-one-get-one-free at Burger King, among other benefits.

Speaking of which, this'll be a make-or-break- their EMV switch will fall flat if it's not compatible with UnionPay and JCB (which are switching to EMV as well).
Old Nov 17, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by PlatDrew
Going to London beginning of December. Already purchased all my rail tickets here so I wouldn't have to deal with the dreaded underground kiosks that don't accept mag-stripe cards (I have an AMEX Platinum). How is the acceptance of AMEX elsewhere in London?
I travel to London many time a year. I have yet to experience any Underground kiosks which would not accept my magstripe Visa or Amex. I thought I had one last October, but the next guy in line behind me had a standard British card with chip+pin and it didn't work for him either, so I'm guessing the kiosk was just screwed up.

Plenty of places where there are issues with chip + pin (especially on the continent) but I personally haven't experienced this one in the Underground... and I don't confine myself to central London or touristy spots, either.

My 2 cents.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Marriott Premiere Rewards just added a chip; I called last night and had them overnight the new one to me in Korea. Presumably it's chip and pin, not just chip, but will see soon.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by 2tall4economy
Marriott Premiere Rewards just added a chip; I called last night and had them overnight the new one to me in Korea. Presumably it's chip and pin, not just chip, but will see soon.
Sorry...like all Chase chip cards, it's chip and signature.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
Chip card readers at Walmart, etc.

The reason the chip readers may not work at Walmart are manufacturers are making this stuff for use around the world. It's the way the hardware.comes out of the box. But until it's actually activated, you need to use the magnetic card reader. I've seen useless chip readers at 7-Eleven and Macy's too.

Last edited by burgerwars; Nov 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UA G
Delete.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 5:12 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Sorry...like all Chase chip cards, it's chip and signature.
Apparently so as there was no way to get a PIN request in there.

That said, it's now built like a Sapphire Preferred card; metal sandwiched between soft plastic. Some weight to it and new logo. Kinda cool, especially for zero cost to me. My old one's numbers were wearing out anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.