Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:29 pm
Suspended

I didn't have to call recon to get approved. Instant approval. Great credit score for my age (well over 700).

Weird part (which seems to be common here) is my APR is insanely high--24.99%--and my spending limit is $1,000.

Good thing I plan on using this for one purchase only!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:52 pm

Instant approval, 5K limit; got the technical difficulties page but going to the check approval site found it just fine.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:15 pm
Suspended

At the risk of getting the "it's been discussed do it yourself" response:

Can anyone point me to a Response #, or a Page #, where churnability is discussed clearly. Getting lots of mixed signals, everything from "not churnable" to "I churn this 4x a year"
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:17 pm

FYI, I applied for the "40K" (no-spend, fee-waived) offer attempting the "first click the 35K, then click the 40K" trick in mid-March.

My application to that vanished into the great unknown ("pending" but couldn't be found online; also, Barclays CSRs couldn't find it the day of or about a week later).

So about a week later, I simply applied for the 35K and instantly got that one.

A few days later, I received my "35K" card. That same day, I received a separate letter explicitly informing me that "my application" had been denied due to applying after the offer was no longer available. I presume they mean the 40K one, since I am definitely using my "35K" card right now.

Just one more story that the old 40K definitely seems to be dead even when the application form works.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Can anyone point me to a Response #, or a Page #, where churnability is discussed clearly. Getting lots of mixed signals, everything from "not churnable" to "I churn this 4x a year"
I think your confusion stems from the fact that things have changed over time with this card. My observations:
  • Barclays is not as consistent/predictable as other card issuers. I don't think it's just that we have less data than for Citi or Chase; Barclays does seem to be more arbitrary, or at least to use a complex model that doesn't lend itself to easily stated rules.
  • Until the past month or two, Barclays was fairly lax about allowing churns on this card. As you note, some people have hit this card pretty hard over time.
  • More recent anecdotal evidence suggests that Barclays has tightened the screws. Our sample here on FT -- arguably not very representative -- suggests that it's harder to churn this card these days, especially if you still have an existing card open. Several FTers have said that the "I want to separate biz/personal expenses" line is not as effective as in the past, and that CSRs are looking more closely at lifetime histories/total Barclays cards issued & denying more often in the case of repeat offendersapplicants.
  • This card remains churnable, at least if you pace yourself. I've gotten this card 3 years running (March 2011, 2012 & 2013), each time while still holding an existing Barclays US card.
  • With the US/AA merger, there's arguably less to lose by trying to churn this card a bit more aggressively. The merged airline will go with Citi long-term, so the Barclays deal's days are numbered. IMO that means you might as well roll the dice and churn this card harder in the short term, but only if your recent apps numbers are in good shape. Put differently, I wouldn't hammer the Barclays card while doing the same repeatedly for, say, Citi's Hilton Visa. Yes, the banks might pull from different CRAs -- or Barclays might pull all 3 agencies on you & get spooked by what they see.
Discuss.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway
I think your confusion stems from the fact that things have changed over time with this card. My observations:
  • Barclays is not as consistent/predictable as other card issuers. I don't think it's just that we have less data than for Citi or Chase; Barclays does seem to be more arbitrary, or at least to use a complex model that doesn't lend itself to easily stated rules.
  • Until the past month or two, Barclays was fairly lax about allowing churns on this card. As you note, some people have hit this card pretty hard over time.
  • More recent anecdotal evidence suggests that Barclays has tightened the screws. Our sample here on FT -- arguably not very representative -- suggests that it's harder to churn this card these days, especially if you still have an existing card open. Several FTers have said that the "I want to separate biz/personal expenses" line is not as effective as in the past, and that CSRs are looking more closely at lifetime histories/total Barclays cards issued & denying more often in the case of repeat offendersapplicants.
  • This card remains churnable, at least if you pace yourself. I've gotten this card 3 years running (March 2011, 2012 & 2013), each time while still holding an existing Barclays US card.
  • With the US/AA merger, there's arguably less to lose by trying to churn this card a bit more aggressively. The merged airline will go with Citi long-term, so the Barclays deal's days are numbered. IMO that means you might as well roll the dice and churn this card harder in the short term, but only if your recent apps numbers are in good shape. Put differently, I wouldn't hammer the Barclays card while doing the same repeatedly for, say, Citi's Hilton Visa. Yes, the banks might pull from different CRAs -- or Barclays might pull all 3 agencies on you & get spooked by what they see.
Discuss.
Thanks. Exactly the info I needed. Much appreciated.

I've definitely noticed, even after one go-around, that Barclay's is arbitrary. 24.99% APR and $1,000 limit? I haven't gotten something along those lines since my first credit card eons ago.

So, you've churned once a year for three years. And, you've kept all three cards open? Any reason?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
My partner applied and got denied for "recently opened account." What does that mean? That he recently opened an account somewhere and they don't like that?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:17 pm

So, you've churned once a year for three years. And, you've kept all three cards open? Any reason?
I only ever have 2 cards open at a time, and up to now I've always canceled the older card to avoid the annual fee.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Called and emailed US Air about reinstating my old dividend miles since I now have a credit card. They tell me it's on the credit card end.
Spoke with Barclays and they say that it should appear when the statement closes which is today and I have paid it 2 weeks ago.
Strange part is that my husband has his own credit card account and he got his miles reinstated within a week of requesting and his statement just closed today and paid today.
So something is amiss. The account number is correct, it is on the card, it is the same one USAir has and I do not have any duplicate accounts.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by beltway
Yes, the banks might pull from different CRAs -- or Barclays might pull all 3 agencies on you & get spooked by what they see.

Discuss.
Very well stated post beltway. To pile onto the part I quoted. I was instantly approved for my first Barclay card (this one). But got the more processing required page after my 2nd Barclay card (NFL). When I called the recon line the next day, I learned I was initially disapproved by the system. The rep asked me why I had was looking to open my 8th new account of the year?

So although they pull from different agencies each can see how many new accounts were opened and at least in my case Barclay used this as a trigger for initial disapproval of my app (but ended up approving). My experience was in September and from reading this thread it looks like Barclays has tightened the screws even more since then.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Very well stated post beltway. To pile onto the part I quoted. I was instantly approved for my first Barclay card (this one). But got the more processing required page after my 2nd Barclay card (NFL). When I called the recon line the next day, I learned I was initially disapproved by the system. The rep asked me why I had was looking to open my 8th new account of the year?

So although they pull from different agencies each can see how many new accounts were opened and at least in my case Barclay used this as a trigger initial disapproval of my app (but ended up approving). My experience was in September and from reading this thread it looks like Barclays has tightened the screws even more since then.
8th account in 2013 or 8th account in the last 12 months?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by michael_v
8th account in 2013 or 8th account in the last 12 months?
8th account in last 12 months from time of app so in my case was from Sep 2011 - Sep 2012 and they were spot on BTW.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I got instant approval for my first card June 2012 with $15k CL. A few weeks ago I had my CL lowered to $10k to make room for a second card. I did not want to cancel the first card because my account supposedly will get the 10k mile anniversary bonus, which I hoped would come before the AF was due.

Applied for second card today and got the pending review notification. Is that the kiss of death for getting a second card? Has anyone been approved lately for a second card after being reviewed?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:08 pm
Suspended

I've seen a lot of comments on the forum along the lines of "just spend one time, get the miles, and throw it in the drawer"

According to the T and C, you need to charge on this card once every 6 months or you're not eligible to participate in the "Program"--any idea what this means exactly?

Also, I see: "Anniversary miles will be reflected on the billing statement following payment of your Annual Fee, if applicable"

So, if the fee is waived for the first year, would that mean "not applicable"?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
So, if the fee is waived for the first year, would that mean "not applicable"?
So you expect anniversary miles when it's not your anniversary? You're going to pay the AF for your first anniversary...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.