Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by CFFrost
Got my card today. Verified bonus and 10,000 annual bonus.

Interestingly, they printed my equifax score on the back of the info sheet with my card on it. It included factors that could improve score. Does Barclays always do this, or is it just because I was initially denied then approved via recon?

Now I need to check and see if they pulled TU and EQ.
Most likely pulled TU initially, then EQ on recon.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Interestingly, they printed my equifax score on the back of the info sheet with my card on it. It included factors that could improve score. Does Barclays always do this, or is it just because I was initially denied then approved via recon?
I've had this on a few of my cards lately.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I've had this on a few of my cards lately.
I knew they were supposed to provide it if you were denied, but I have never seen it when I was approved for a card. This is also my first Barclays card in several years so I wasn't sure if it was maybe just something they did.

I always wondered why they didn't provide it if you were approved - why not? They pulled the credit, why not provide a basic overview for you?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Bank of America does the same. When you get approved/denied, they tell you in writing the bureau that they used and your credit score at the moment they pulled it.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Another data point:
- First Barclays card applied and approved in June 2012
- Second Barclays card applied and approved in February 2013 while first card opened.
Second 40k bonus showed up in account.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by TailSpin
Data Point:
Card arrived today (Applied on the 12th) the activation operator confirmed the 40K on first use but did not see the 10K annual dividend. The paperwork with the card spelled out the 40K and the 10K bonus each year... No fee the first year.

I was forced to create yet another new account on their web site (a new username, not just change the password) due to "recent security issues" so I've now had three usernames (forced to change twice) on their site in 10 days.

I was thinking of taking advantage of the balance transfer for points but 3%?? Gaa.. think I will pass...
Sometimes the BT on Barclays cards can be a bargain - I don't know what terms you applied under, but many times the BT fee has a cap of $50 or $100.

I think I moved nearly 10K and paid $100 total for 10K miles, and along with the perk of having the 0% APR for a while.
Obviously, if you applied under an uncapped BT fee- it's much less of a bargain.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
I have both the consumer and business card. I figure I'll keep the consumer card for the annual 10K miles - does anyone see any reason to keep the business card? The benefits on the biz card don't seem that appealing.

Has anyone been able to downgrade the business card to the non-fee version?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:34 am

Regarding the credit score being printed on the back -

I applied for my husband a couple of weeks ago; he was instantly approved and we received the card today. His "score" was printed on the back (so it was not due to having to be reconsidered). The problem is that I really think they confused his application with someone else's when they put his score and "Key factors that adversely affected your credit score" on the back of the mailer.

I pulled his TU score and report a few days before I applied (score comfortably in the 800's). I just pulled it again and it is lower (785). So, okay, maybe this application dropped his score almost 40 points; I am comfortable that it will recover from that quickly. The problem is that Barclays is now reporting to us that his score is 750 (as of the date of the app) and that it is negatively impacted by:

1. "Proportion of balances to credit limits too high" (He has a very low utilization and his TU report from Amex Credit Secure says one of the factors that has raised his score is that he has "spent very little of the credit that has been extended" to him.)

2. "Number of inquiries on credit bureau report" (The only hard pulls on his TU report are one from 2011, one from early 2012, and now the Barclays' pull from this app.)

3. "Excessive amount owed on revolving accounts" (Very little outstanding and all paid in full each month.)

I don't know how to approach this because I don't think this is a credit report error; I just checked his report and it looks fine. However, I am concerned that if I have him call Barclays, they may just do another hard pull to verify and I'd rather avoid that. Any advice?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by chrisj500
Sometimes the BT on Barclays cards can be a bargain - I don't know what terms you applied under, but many times the BT fee has a cap of $50 or $100.

I think I moved nearly 10K and paid $100 total for 10K miles, and along with the perk of having the 0% APR for a while.
Obviously, if you applied under an uncapped BT fee- it's much less of a bargain.
From reading the print they gave me it was a 3% transfer, one point per dollar, and six months of free interest. Max of 10,000 for the points.

I'm going to call back to see if there is a cap - $100 cap for 10,000 transfer would be well worth it.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Regarding the credit score being printed on the back -

I applied for my husband a couple of weeks ago; he was instantly approved and we received the card today. His "score" was printed on the back (so it was not due to having to be reconsidered). The problem is that I really think they confused his application with someone else's when they put his score and "Key factors that adversely affected your credit score" on the back of the mailer.

I pulled his TU score and report a few days before I applied (score comfortably in the 800's). I just pulled it again and it is lower (785). So, okay, maybe this application dropped his score almost 40 points; I am comfortable that it will recover from that quickly. The problem is that Barclays is now reporting to us that his score is 750 (as of the date of the app) and that it is negatively impacted by:

1. "Proportion of balances to credit limits too high" (He has a very low utilization and his TU report from Amex Credit Secure says one of the factors that has raised his score is that he has "spent very little of the credit that has been extended" to him.)

2. "Number of inquiries on credit bureau report" (The only hard pulls on his TU report are one from 2011, one from early 2012, and now the Barclays' pull from this app.)

3. "Excessive amount owed on revolving accounts" (Very little outstanding and all paid in full each month.)

I don't know how to approach this because I don't think this is a credit report error; I just checked his report and it looks fine. However, I am concerned that if I have him call Barclays, they may just do another hard pull to verify and I'd rather avoid that. Any advice?
Are you planning on actually using the card? Do you want Barclay's to extend more credit? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Activate the card, pay for groceries, pay the bill, and collect your points. I'm personally really tired of calling banks, and as long as I get approvals, I don't care.

This might explain the discrepancy: the In my case, I've noticed a bunch of Barclay's inquiries on my Experian report. That's what the 750 score would be.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Are you planning on actually using the card? Do you want Barclay's to extend more credit? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Activate the card, pay for groceries, pay the bill, and collect your points. I'm personally really tired of calling banks, and as long as I get approvals, I don't care.

This might explain the discrepancy: the In my case, I've noticed a bunch of Barclay's inquiries on my Experian report. That's what the 750 score would be.
I probably will call (no calls to banks lately) and see if they can do something without doing another pull. If nothing is or can be done, it probably doesn't matter; it's annoying though as it really seems to be a result of mis-matching people and info. (As to the 750, there are no Barclays' pulls on anything other than TU. Also, that doesn't explain their comments.) I am pleased that I managed to get the 40,000 mile offer with waived first year fee!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
I'm not sure about the pull total. I know when I first got a TU pull it already showed 5 pulls- which had to have been from credit cards using Equifax or Experian. There may be a way they notice new accounts and manufacture a pull or something.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
I'm not sure about the pull total. I know when I first got a TU pull it already showed 5 pulls- which had to have been from credit cards using Equifax or Experian. There may be a way they notice new accounts and manufacture a pull or something.
Well, if this really is based on his report, there is a bigger issue. Including all 3 credit bureaus (and including the Barclays pull for this card), he has a total of 7 pulls in the last 2 years, only 2 of which were in the last 12 months. If Barclays is now considering 7 pulls in 2 years or 2 pulls in one year to be a problem, that could have some impact.

(He only had 4 new accounts, all of which were shown already as pulls; so even if they manufacture pulls, still not many)
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:56 pm

Where is the business card link that some people are talking about? TIA.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Well, if this really is based on his report, there is a bigger issue. Including all 3 credit bureaus (and including the Barclays pull for this card), he has a total of 7 pulls in the last 2 years, only 2 of which were in the last 12 months. If Barclays is now considering 7 pulls in 2 years or 2 pulls in one year to be a problem, that could have some impact.

(He only had 4 new accounts, all of which were shown already as pulls; so even if they manufacture pulls, still not many)
I'm not looking at the paperwork right now, but I was also surprised at the reasons they gave me that could increase my score, and also thought the score was lower than it should be.

I think if you're in the points world you accept far more pulls than is normal, have far more credit extended to you than is normal, and generally "use" your credit more than the average non-points obsessed bank client. If a bank is looking for reasons to reject you (and that's what the list of items that could improve your score would be), that's what they would look at.

Also, I think most of the FACO scores are pretty bogus. They're good for ensuring the accuracy of your report, good for predicting movement of your score, bad for predicting actual score.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.