Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards That Allow Points Conversion to Airline Miles (1 to 1 or better)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards That Allow Points Conversion to Airline Miles (1 to 1 or better)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:42 pm

Does Chase Sapphire have transfer fees if you want to convert your points to CO miles? If yes, how much?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerInCmh
Does Chase Sapphire have transfer fees if you want to convert your points to CO miles? If yes, how much?
Unlike Amex Membership Rewards, there's no excise fee. But like MR, the transfer is instantaneous.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by beltway
Unlike Amex Membership Rewards, there's no excise fee. But like MR, the transfer is instantaneous.
Are you sure the transfer is instantaneous?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by jeelele
Are you sure the transfer is instantaneous?
Metaphysical certainty. I did a 1000-point transfer last night as a test before posting.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Defunct? Allowed (past tense)???
For the vast majority of people, that's the case.

There's actually an extremely long thread on FatWallet covering the shared agony as group by group, almost everybody (including me, it was a sad day when the letter arrived ) has been forcibly converted to another card. There are a few lone holdouts still getting the 5%, but they are few and far between, and the general consensus is that those few are just awaiting the end.

Enjoy it while you can.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Interesting thread. Anything in Canada ?

Edit: Ask and thou shall receive: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ree-again.html

Last edited by chx1975; Feb 8, 2011 at 6:24 am
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: Lotz
Many of the old BofA Worldpoints cards earned 2 pts per $1, no annual fee. The new ones only earn 1 point per $1.

The Fidelity AmEx is the only card earning Worldpoints that still earns 2 points per $1 on everything. With Air Canada Aeroplan (*A) that becomes 2 miles per $1 with no annual fee. Hopefully BofA doesn't screw this one up too.

Last edited by tassojunior; Feb 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techboyds
For the vast majority of people, that's the case.

There's actually an extremely long thread on FatWallet covering the shared agony as group by group, almost everybody (including me, it was a sad day when the letter arrived ) has been forcibly converted to another card. There are a few lone holdouts still getting the 5%, but they are few and far between, and the general consensus is that those few are just awaiting the end.

Enjoy it while you can.
This is FlyerTalk. Do people on FatWallet often collect miles? Or were most of these people using the Rewards Plus card as effectively a cashback card?

One thing that may be different about me (and maybe Chase can even see this in their view of my history?): I never applied for a Rewards Plus card. I was cancelling a United annual-fee card, and already had a United "bronze" no-fee card and said I didn't want another one of those. Then, terrified that I might really cancel , they pitched me this other card (the name of which I didn't know until I got it) that could earn me United miles (among other things) with no annual fee and with bonuses for certain categories. With just that info, I decided to go ahead an try it...

So (a) this was a conversion from an United Mileage Plus card, and (b) the only thing I've ever redeemed for is United Mileage Plus miles. (In fact, it's so "tightly integrated" that over at United it shows me earning miles from a United Mileage Plus card in their "pie chart" of mileage sources, even though I'm only earning from United transfer certificates from the Rewards Plus.)

Given that some of these replacement cards don't transfer to United directly yet (only to Chase's other airline partners), perhaps that's why they've kept me, while booting out people who weren't transferring specifically (and/or solely) to United?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
I actually emailed them about my ink business card and they said I can transfer to other airlines
Did you actually transfer to CO? Is your Ink Biz card or Ink Plus Biz card?

I searched online and found that "Ink Plus"(with annual fee) can transfer to CO miles, but it doesn't mention "Ink" ($0 annual fee).

http://www.plasticiq.com/blog/chase-...rogram-review/

Can someone confirm this? Since I'm ready to apply for either Sapphire Preferred or Ink pretty soon.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Joe1690
I have both a freedom and an ink credit card and am able to transfer points between both of them instantaneously online. As such, I would imagine that the ink bold and ink plus would work the same way and then you could transfer them to the respective travel partners.
can you transfer to different accounts under different names?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Given that some of these replacement cards don't transfer to United directly yet (only to Chase's other airline partners), perhaps that's why they've kept me, while booting out people who weren't transferring specifically (and/or solely) to United?
It seems the "converted" cards escape the devaluation in earning.

My husband has a Freedom card that was converted from a Marriott card. For a good 2 years the 2 cards show up in Chase Online with identical transactions and activities except Freedom had statement and the MR didn't. We kept asking Chase if the MR had "died" and they always said as far as they were concerned, the MR card was canceled.

The Freedom card still shows the 3% top 3 categories out from a list of categories each month, AND the redeem $200 get $250 check feature. While my Freedom card started from the initial bonus offer ($200 redeemed to $250) has long been devalued to 1% card 2 to 3 years ago.

However with Chase now running the quarterly 5% bonus, and the fact that I get 10% earning bonus and 10 bonus pt because it ties to my Chase checking, I start using it again. It is funny to see a $1xx charge at drugstore earns me 10 extra pt.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
I'm curious to know what advantages this Sapphire Preferred card might have over the SPG Amex. For one, it's certain to be accepted more places.

But the annual fee is slightly higher, and the 7% bonus is dwarfed by the 25% bonus (5K free miles transferred for every 20K) with SPG. What am I missing here?
I, too, am confused.

Chase Sapphire costs $95/yr (vs $65 for AMEX SPG) and allows a transfer to CO and BA. It is unknown whether CO transfer option will be available with the new UA at this time, possibly making the only transfer option via BA (not the most desirable to US cardholders, who probably have racked up their oneworld miles with AA). It offers a 7% point dividend annually. Assuming I spent $20,000 a year that translates to 21,400 points (or miles with BA or CO).

The AMEX SPG card costs $30 less per year and allows you the option to transfer to AA (oneworld), DL (Skyteam), and US (Star) (among many other foreign carriers) at a 1:1. When you transfer 20k pts you get 25k miles. So the same $20,000 spend per year is equal to 25,000 miles.

Unless you must have the ability to transfer to CO (however long or shortlived that may be) or hotel programs other than Starwood, then the Chase card seems more expensive and less flexible.

There is much discussion about discontinued products that some people had, some people managed to retain, etc. Assuming one has no Chase or AMEX card in their wallet and are comparing these two, I'm not sure why the Chase card is so good.

Thoughts all?

Last edited by ChrisInSD; Mar 29, 2011 at 12:18 pm
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:21 am

Chase has the Ultimate Rewards Mall, which lets you earn bonus points on online shopping. I don't think SPG has anything equivalent. Granted, one could earn bonus miles via an airline mall, but that loses the flexibility of the points.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:41 pm

Can you transfer the points from Chase Sapphire to another person's CO account?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by tassojunior
Many of the old BofA Worldpoints cards earned 2 pts per $1, no annual fee. The new ones only earn 1 point per $1.

The Fidelity AmEx is the only card earning Worldpoints that still earns 2 points per $1 on everything. With Air Canada Aeroplan (*A) that becomes 2 miles per $1 with no annual fee. Hopefully BofA doesn't screw this one up too.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.