Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by t325
If the industry wants to get aggressive, what if they just stopped checking documents? They’re the ones enforcing it. Not CBP. I really wonder what would happen if all the major airlines got together and announced they will stop requiring a test to board flights to the US.
I’m 100% with you on that. They should have already done it, frankly.

wven if one of the major airlines (AA, UA or DL) took that step, it would end. The government would not ground the airline; imagine the optics of it. The government would acquiesce quickly and then just ‘highly recommend’ testing.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by t325
If the industry wants to get aggressive, what if they just stopped checking documents? They’re the ones enforcing it. Not CBP. I really wonder what would happen if all the major airlines got together and announced they will stop requiring a test to board flights to the US.
Wouldn't this get tricky if, in response, the government gets CBP to check for their vaccine/negative test/recovery for international visitors? Right now they don't, but if the airlines let them board only to be turned away by the CBP this could cause massive chaos, with the airlines being at fault?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:55 pm

The airlines could do this (announce that they are no longer checking tests), but probably only for US citizens.

If its a non-US citizen, they could very well be not allowed entry in the US and then what? Stuck in the airport forever, or the airline is forced to transport them back?
enviroian, artemis and whitewave like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wooootles
Wouldn't this get tricky if, in response, the government gets CBP to check for their vaccine/negative test/recovery for international visitors? Right now they don't, but if the airlines let them board only to be turned away by the CBP this could cause massive chaos, with the airlines being at fault?
Even if USA airlines were to stop checking test results for only USA citizens, it would save an enormous amount of agent time. I'm surprised that the airlines haven't been screaming about the staffing requirements and cost of enforcing a CDC rule that has no benefit to the airlines, their crew, passengers, or anyone else.
artemis and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by wooootles
For non-citizens, they could do that if they really wanted to. US citizens, however, can't be denied entry to their own country. So if a US citizen presents themselves at an entry point, they pretty much have to be allowed in.
artemis likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:44 pm

Hello all, I see there are 88 pages of comments here on this topic, and I’ve been scrolling through some of them. I’m traveling to England and would like to know what’s the best way to get my test done there before returning? I’ve seen Qured, but also wondering if a pharmacy might work. Any advice would be appreciated, as well as what to plan for. Will be traveling with two kids.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
White House pressured to scrap COVID-19 testing requirement for travel to US (washingtonexaminer.com)

An article from the Washington Examiner on the testing rule. Most of it is unremarkable, but at the very end it says that Rep. Lou Correa (D-CA) is one of "some" Democrats saying the administration should exempt vaxxed travelers. I'm not sure how much pull he has on the Hill, but he's not a nobody.

Reviving Conventions & Tourism Through International Travel - U.S. Senate Commit...

Here's a link to the Senate hearing I referred to above. It has the opening statements from the subcommittee chair, and the 3 witnesses. All 3 witnesses called for dropping the test rule. Regrettably, it doesn't have (as of now) transcripts of the hearing, but it does have video of the hearing, if anyone wants to watch.
Silver Fox and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Reviving Conventions & Tourism Through International Travel - U.S. Senate Commit...

Here's a link to the Senate hearing I referred to above. It has the opening statements from the subcommittee chair, and the 3 witnesses. All 3 witnesses called for dropping the test rule....
What a surprise? The witnesses were:
  • Suzanne Neufang, Chief Executive Officer, Global Business Travel Association
  • Tori Emerson Barnes, Executive Vice President, Public Affairs and Policy, U.S. Travel
  • Ralph Cutié, Director and CEO, Miami International Airport
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:06 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Moderator note

There are folks coming to this thread with questions on pre-departure testing for flying to the US. Unfortunately some of these posts are buried among a large number of off-topic posts such as those discussing mask mandate, repetitive posts moaning about pre-departure testing or speculating when testing requirements might end. Many off-topic posts have been deleted and posts discussing certificates of recovery have been moved to another thread.
Recovery from Covid Letter/Certificate [merged thread]

Please help to keep this thread on-topic for the benefit of those seeking information and advice.

/mod
aztimm and DaveS like this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Here are two recent questions awaiting answers. Please help if you can.

Post #1281
From member sxpsxpsxp
Flying DUB-LHR-BOS with overnight connection

Post #1311
From member Dzigavertov
Where to test in England
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Dzigavertov
Hello all, I see there are 88 pages of comments here on this topic, and I’ve been scrolling through some of them. I’m traveling to England and would like to know what’s the best way to get my test done there before returning? I’ve seen Qured, but also wondering if a pharmacy might work. Any advice would be appreciated, as well as what to plan for. Will be traveling with two kids.
Well, I’m not in the UK but Ireland. We have had no problems finding a pharmacy to do the test. I walked to one yesterday and they told me to go around the corner to a different pharmacy and I’m leaving now for my 9:15 appointment. Fingers crossed.

My son and daughter found an actual testing facility in Dublin. I’m in Limerick.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
I am a Brit and would advise you either purchase Qured tests in the US and bring them with you after arranging a suitable time for the video sessions, or buy them in the UK and have them sent to the hotel.

We have used Qured throughout in both the US (when we needed them to get back into the UK) and in the UK for travelling to the US.

It's not as easy as it was to get an antigen test here in the UK and I'd say this is the most fail-safe way of doing it (apart form taking one at the airport) as it's all within your control - just make sure you have somewhere quiet with decent wifi/signal for the video calls.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:05 am

Search on your airline’s web page under Covid and see if they have locations where you can get a test if you don’t bring one.

https://doctap.co.uk/covid-19-antigen-test/

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co...tment-booking/

https://www.boots.com/services/covid...d-test-service
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I'm traveling to the UK with my 2 teenaged nieces in 2 weeks. I ended up purchasing eMed's BinaxNow online proctor tests. They are self-administered, but watched by an online proctor. That was the recommended test on United's website.

However, my London hotel concierge also has a company that will perform the tests and there is a pharmacy close by (Earls Court) that takes appointments as well. If something goes wrong with the online tests, my backup is to use the (expensive!) hotel concierge option.

Also, my friend just got back from London and used her hotel's concierge service for testing (as her company was paying for that pricey test option!)

I hope that helps explain some London options.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS

If you’re in London, you could get an antigen test at Paddington Station and you can make online appointments for it. The test result takes less than an hour to be emailed to you. I used it myself to get back to the US and there are other branches for ExpressTest. Even at LHR, LGW and other locales and airports. Just make sure you don’t book a drive-thru test by mistake.

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/london...ngton-station/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.