Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

What If You Test Positive Before Return to the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What If You Test Positive Before Return to the US?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by jetsetter777
I ended up going with a budget option (only cost me less than $100 for 15 days) - OneTrip Emergency Medical through Allianz. I only needed evacuation insurance (with covid as a covered reason), so that's probably why it was so low. Plus it had that little bit of aforementioned quarantine daily coverage.
I also looked into Seven Corners which appealed.
I've also seen World Nomads recommended though it didn't match my needs.
Then there's MedJet which will whisk you back home (don't know the pricing) without having to stay at a local hospital first.
There's a lot of info to sort through so good luck!
Absolutely none of these insurances will fly you back home merely for testing positive (but overall just having the sniffles or asymptomatic). They will fly you to the nearest local hospital able to treat you if medically necessary as confirmed by a doctor (e.g. to get a ventilator not available where you are, they'll fly you to nearest hospital with a ventilator).

If your purpose was to escape 14 day quarantine you wasted your money getting these insurances.
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
It is allowed in in the sense that there is no active lying on any legal forms etc. You book a flight to Mexico, the checkin agent at the airport will not actively ask you for a test result so you will not explicitly be lying to get caught.

Similar to lots of things that are allowed due to no enforcement mechanisms. I shouldn't have said "fully allowed", you are right there.
This is completely incorrect.
1. Just because something isn’t enforced doesn’t make it legal.
2. In many countries not quarantining when known positive is illegal and a criminal breach at that.

You don’t need someone to ask you a question to be
guilty or to “actively lie” on a form.
VRFast and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:18 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
So long story short - make sure that you don’t test positive.
8420PR and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Absolutely none of these insurances will fly you back home merely for testing positive (but overall just having the sniffles or asymptomatic). They will fly you to the nearest local hospital able to treat you if medically necessary as confirmed by a doctor (e.g. to get a ventilator not available where you are, they'll fly you to nearest hospital with a ventilator).

If your purpose was to escape 14 day quarantine you wasted your money getting these insurances.

The was not the purpose for me, but thanks for your comment.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by invisible
So long story short - make sure that you don’t test positive.
Or if you do...

Be prepared to spend the necessary time and money in a foreign country to meet the criteria for travel back home, i.e. negative test
Kgmm77, JBJ2435 and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:01 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by Carolinian
In testing, apparently one should always ask what the "cycle threshold" is, because if it is too high, then the test is too sensitive and more prone to false positives.
The people sharing the claim that COVID-19 PCR testing is not reliable because of high Ct values are just amplifying noise.

PCR tests are not prone to false positives, despite what's on Facebook, experts say

Last edited by DrinkSlinger; Sep 10, 2021 at 9:09 am
Old Sep 14, 2021, 7:20 am

I really hope the US lifts this requirement for vaxxed travelers (at least vaxxed Americans and permanent residents) soon. I just got back from Europe and thankfully tested negative before returning, but the thought of testing positive was worrying me the entire time. It was such a relief when I tested negative (I took my test like 71 hours before my departure flight).
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by t325
I really hope the US lifts this requirement for vaxxed travelers (at least vaxxed Americans and permanent residents) soon. I just got back from Europe and thankfully tested negative before returning, but the thought of testing positive was worrying me the entire time. It was such a relief when I tested negative (I took my test like 71 hours before my departure flight).
I disagree with this. Vaccinated travelers can be COVID-positive (and are even more likely to not know it) and shouldn't be on aircraft. I actually like the piece of mind knowing everyone on your returning flight recently tested negative (fully acknowledging that they could have caught COVID in between test & departure). I know it's a pain but many places, particularly in Western Europe, make testing a breeze and no longer inconvenient.
StingWest, wrp96, JBJ2435 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
I disagree with this. Vaccinated travelers can be COVID-positive (and are even more likely to not know it) and shouldn't be on aircraft. I actually like the piece of mind knowing everyone on your returning flight recently tested negative (fully acknowledging that they could have caught COVID in between test & departure). I know it's a pain but many places, particularly in Western Europe, make testing a breeze and no longer inconvenient.
But COVID's not going anywhere, eradication is not happening. If you're fully vaxxed, your chances of getting seriously ill and dying are about that of the flu, maybe less. Even if testing is easy, the risk of a positive test and a 14 day quarantine is too big to take for many people.

At some point society has to live with COVID, and yes, that means people going out in public and even getting on planes like they do when sick with a flu or cold. Whether we like it or not, people do it. I'm sure everyone here's done it at some point in their life. And if you're fully vaxxed against COVID, it really shouldn't be that much of a concern for you.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
It would definitely incentivize people to get vaccinated if they knew that they couldn't get stuck outside the US.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
And if you're fully vaxxed against COVID, it really shouldn't be that much of a concern for you.
I agree with you and your post, if the majority are fully vaxxed. You mentioned lifting the US test requirement soon for vaxxed travelers; I'm not there yet. The COVID test requirements are standardized, the vaccinations globally are not. Best to leave the testing requirement in place for all. Just my two cents.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I would like the what-if information to be posted for international airports. "If you are planning to return to the United States and test positive, then you will be required to stay at the XYZ hotel at a cost of €NNN per night." My wife and I tested negative, but we had no idea (and still don't) what we would have done in Milan if the test had shown positive. And I have friends in Italy now who are wondering the same thing for their upcoming return.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by pfreet
The hypothetical proposed is that they are asymptomatic and only learn they have the virus because of the travel test. Nobody is proposing to ignore the test, IMO, if you are vaccinated and don't have symptoms, just be careful, no need to hibernate. If symptomatic, then quarantine. Otherwise, if this happens, enjoy a few extra days hiking in Italy, avoid people and return when you can get a negative test.
virus can be passed before you show symptoms, but I'm sure you must be aware of that by now...
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:04 am

are most doing the emed test in their hotel? Is this a good one:
Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 15, 2021 at 1:52 pm Reason: Font size
Old Sep 19, 2021, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by theplayer
are most doing the emed test in their hotel? Is this a good one:
Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services
Yes, that is the one to use if you want to test before return to US. Recommend bringing more than 1 test kit per person as some have recently reported a kit or two being defective (missing components, etc)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.