Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

What If You Test Positive Before Return to the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What If You Test Positive Before Return to the US?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:13 am

On the antigen vs. PCR, the antigen tests are much less sensitive, correct? So I would think it'd be far less likely to pick up an asymptomatic case in a vaccinated person, whereas a PCR test would detect that.

This (plus cost) is why I chose an antigen test to return to the US, but I'm not sure the correct answer here. You'd have to parse the false positive rate vs. the likelihood of a low-level infection by a vaccinated person being detected.

I'm also unsure what happens if you have a false positive antigen test and you take a confirmatory PCR test that turns up negative. Are you then free to fly home, or do you have to take multiple PCR test to make sure? I'm sure it depends on what country you're in.

Supposedly the antigen tests miss half the asymptomatic cases.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...-pcr-1.4593448
Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It seems one of the biggest issues is empty or spilled liquid reagents in the BinaxNow kits. I just looked it up and it seems the reagent is Sodium Azide(26628-22-8). Any chemists here who know if this is used in other similar tests or is it specific to the BinaxNow Covid test? Could one just substitute the reagent from an at-home (non-proctored) test kit or really any other test that uses a liquid reagent? It might be worth buying a couple of cheap at home tests just to have the extra bottle of reagent.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
It seems one of the biggest issues is empty or spilled liquid reagents in the BinaxNow kits. I just looked it up and it seems the reagent is Sodium Azide(26628-22-8). Any chemists here who know if this is used in other similar tests or is it specific to the BinaxNow Covid test? Could one just substitute the reagent from an at-home (non-proctored) test kit or really any other test that uses a liquid reagent? It might be worth buying a couple of cheap at home tests just to have the extra bottle of reagent.
lol I think it is going a little far if you are trying to tweak the protocol of the test kit here. at this point you might as well get tested at local site.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by gnomey
lol I think it is going a little far if you are trying to tweak the protocol of the test kit here. at this point you might as well get tested at local site.
Not that easy or cheap from Canada, at least the area of Canada that I am in, which is why I bring the Binax kits. Especially when you enter fairly often. If it is a standard reagent, I can just carry the at-home (non-proctored) Binax kit as a backup source of the reagent.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
Not that easy or cheap from Canada, at least the area of Canada that I am in, which is why I bring the Binax kits. Especially when you enter fairly often. If it is a standard reagent, I can just carry the at-home (non-proctored) Binax kit as a backup source of the reagent.
I agree the advantage of this kit is its use in expensive countries like UK, Switzerland and Canada. I think reagent from same kit under same manufacturer is fine (proctored versus non proctored, assuming identical lateral flow test), but using a reagent from another manufacturer will be going too far.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by eerickson7

Supposedly the antigen tests miss half the asymptomatic cases.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...-pcr-1.4593448
yes this is why many countries do not accept antigen test as entry requirement.

confirmatory test is always pcr. sometimes multiple rounds of pcr. and then you will be let go.

but if pcr also positive, then time to wake up and face reality instead of arguing one is false positive.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by seanp7
I disagree with this. Vaccinated travelers can be COVID-positive (and are even more likely to not know it) and shouldn't be on aircraft. I actually like the piece of mind knowing everyone on your returning flight recently tested negative (fully acknowledging that they could have caught COVID in between test & departure). I know it's a pain but many places, particularly in Western Europe, make testing a breeze and no longer inconvenient.
My issue is the inconsistency. Why can I get on a plane and fly all over the US without a test. What makes it so much more dangerous to fly from far more vaccinated and lower rates overall Europe to a point in the US? Particularly some of the State where vaccination rates are low and new cases remain high?
seanp7 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Annerk
Why can I get on a plane and fly all over the US without a test
Don’t give them any ideas.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by tai4de2
True.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Annerk
My issue is the inconsistency. Why can I get on a plane and fly all over the US without a test. What makes it so much more dangerous to fly from far more vaccinated and lower rates overall Europe to a point in the US? Particularly some of the State where vaccination rates are low and new cases remain high?
Domestic political/legal issues. Don't want to say any more than that, as any discussion of that would be OT.

Originally Posted by tai4de2
They already have these ideas (they've basically said as much publicly), but they almost certainly won't be able to actually implement them, due to the above mentioned political/legal issues.
tai4de2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.