Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

What If You Test Positive Before Return to the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What If You Test Positive Before Return to the US?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by jetsetter777
(I am writing this from the American perspective.).
I was just in French Polynesia and they have a set procedure if you test positive upon arrival, but there wasn't a clear procedure for "what if americans test postiive before return?" While we were there we spoke to the US Consul who said he was currently dealing with 20 positive american cases and was trying to find them local accomodations.
We do know of someone who tested postiive before return and was able to arrange to stay in their resort bungalow for 10 days until they got a letter stating they were negative and able to fly again.
Yikes! That's an expensive place to have to find a last minute room, and a very expensive place to end up in. I'm assuming he was in Tahiti, an OWB goes from expensive to astronomical in Moorea and Bora Bora. I doubt anyone who had tested positive would be able to travel from Tahiti to another island.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:10 pm

Does anyone know whether airlines are rebooking passengers for free who have to delay their return due to a positive COVID test? Of must one rely on either travel insurance or pay out-of-pocket for a new return ticket after achieving a negative test?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Does anyone know whether airlines are rebooking passengers for free who have to delay their return due to a positive COVID test?
I wonder if this collide with the general rule (?) that a round-trip itinerary can't be changed mid-trip?
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK
Does anyone know whether airlines are rebooking passengers for free who have to delay their return due to a positive COVID test? Of must one rely on either travel insurance or pay out-of-pocket for a new return ticket after achieving a negative test?
Most travel insurance will not cover expenses related to quarantine or air fare changes as a result of Covid. The airlines have not been charging change fees, so as long as the fare hadn't risen you should be able to rebook with no problem and with perhaps minor additional expense. If I were in the situation, I'd rebook my flight for day six if I could retest at five, and if I was still positive, change the flight to day 11, and so on.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Annerk
Yikes! That's an expensive place to have to find a last minute room, and a very expensive place to end up in. I'm assuming he was in Tahiti, an OWB goes from expensive to astronomical in Moorea and Bora Bora. I doubt anyone who had tested positive would be able to travel from Tahiti to another island.
Agreed. I think that if one goes to a destination like that, at this time, one should be prepared to cover at least 10 more days of costs should they get quarantined.
I purchased specific travel insurance just for this possibiility, but it only maxed out at $200/day. Obviously if you buy a pricier policy you will get more coverage. That $200 would probably get me most of a garden room on Tahiti, but would only make a small dent in the price of a resort room/bungalow on one of the outer islands.
Loren Pechtel, Annerk and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by jetsetter777
Agreed. I think that if one goes to a destination like that, at this time, one should be prepared to cover at least 10 more days of costs should they get quarantined.
I purchased specific travel insurance just for this possibiility, but it only maxed out at $200/day. Obviously if you buy a pricier policy you will get more coverage. That $200 would probably get me most of a garden room on Tahiti, but would only make a small dent in the price of a resort room/bungalow on one of the outer islands.
Where were you able to find that insurance? Dependent on the price, it might be something I'd be interested in hedging my bets with. While it might not cover all costs, it would put a decent dent into them. Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daniellam
This is where memberships like Covac Global come in handy. If you test positive and "self report" at least one symptom, they will fly you home in an air ambulance (negative COVID tests not required for air ambulance entry into the US and many other countries).
At $675/person for single trip of up to 15 days, this a pretty expensive insurance policy against potentially having to extend a trip. I would only consider something like that in a very extreme case, where a positive test result would result in a massive cost and inconvenience.

Originally Posted by erik123
Not really. Best would be a PCR test - not shopping around for a rapid test that shows negative after a few tries.
PCR can continue to come back positive well after someone is no longer contagious. They are also more expensive and have a longer turnaround time. I suppose they are a bit more accurate, but that's a double-edged sword here.
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Where were you able to find that insurance? Dependent on the price, it might be something I'd be interested in hedging my bets with. While it might not cover all costs, it would put a decent dent into them. Thanks!
I just bought an annual policy before my trip to AMS last month for this very reason. While I was prepared to stay extra if necessary it could get pricey and I was traveling with my daughter and 16 y/o granddaughter who I would not have left there if one of them tested positive and needed to stay/quarantine either. Allianz has an additional endorsement just for Covid.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.c...oronavirus.htm
Annerk likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 2:06 pm

I ended up going with a budget option (only cost me less than $100 for 15 days) - OneTrip Emergency Medical through Allianz. I only needed evacuation insurance (with covid as a covered reason), so that's probably why it was so low. Plus it had that little bit of aforementioned quarantine daily coverage.
I also looked into Seven Corners which appealed.
I've also seen World Nomads recommended though it didn't match my needs.
Then there's MedJet which will whisk you back home (don't know the pricing) without having to stay at a local hospital first.
There's a lot of info to sort through so good luck!
Annerk and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 2:17 am

In testing, apparently one should always ask what the "cycle threshold" is, because if it is too high, then the test is too sensitive and more prone to false positives.
https://medicine.yale.edu/labmed/sec...0_36854_v1.pdf
Old Sep 9, 2021, 3:13 am

Most travel insurance will not cover expenses related to quarantine or air fare changes as a result of Covid. The airlines have not been charging change fees, so as long as the fare hadn't risen you should be able to rebook with no problem and with perhaps minor additional expense. If I were in the situation, I'd rebook my flight for day six if I could retest at five, and if I was still positive, change the flight to day 11, and so on.
I'm impressed with Lufthansa's credit card in Germany as they have now included covid quarantine (if you test positive) cover for free. Obviously not an option for those based in the US, but an example of what could be provided for a small cost.

The insurance cover applies:

• worldwide for all trips starting from 07/15/2021 to 01/15/2022 (return trip must be made before 02/28/2022)
  • when paying for the trip with your Miles & More Gold Credit Card or credit card with status - also for trips that have already been booked
  • for the costs of additional means of transport in the country of travel, e.g. B. public transport, rental cars and taxis, up to 250 EUR
  • for rebooking fees for a flight, a train or bus journey or a rental car up to an amount of 50 EUR
  • for the cost of the return flight or return ticket up to EUR 500 per insured person if the original airline or the originally booked means of transport is not available within 72 hours
  • for accommodation costs including meals or cancellation costs or actual costs for unused overnight stays in the accommodation up to EUR 175 per night and up to a maximum of 14 nights for all co-insured persons
  • for costs due to missed excursions and events due to quarantine up to an amount of EUR 200 per co-insured person
  • for the costs of a medically ordered PCR test in the country of travel or on arrival at the place of residence of the insured person, provided that the country of travel was declared a risk area during the trip, if a longer quarantine can be avoided as a result
The sum insured is a maximum of EUR 3,500 per trip.
Source: https://www.miles-and-more-kreditkar...nversicherung/
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Carolinian
In testing, apparently one should always ask what the "cycle threshold" is, because if it is too high, then the test is too sensitive and more prone to false positives.
https://medicine.yale.edu/labmed/sec...0_36854_v1.pdf
Singapore is famous for putting cycle number to 40. This resulted number of people who already had virus in past flagged as positive and they had to spend weeks in government quarantine facility.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by invisible
Singapore is famous for putting cycle number to 40. This resulted number of people who already had virus in past flagged as positive and they had to spend weeks in government quarantine facility.
SG is both "kiasu" and "kiasi" (afraid to lose and afraid to die). Obviously they will be very conservative with their numbers.
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Be careful to read the fine print on the medical evacuation policies. Do they provide the evacuation if you test positive somewhere and want to go home (but obviously can't fly commercial) or only if your symptoms are bad enough that some other hospital or care not available at your location make the evacuation medically necessary? Will they evacuate you to the nearest/cheapest facility that they consider adequate, to your home, or to a medical facility of your choice?
Old Sep 10, 2021, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Yllanes
How is that "fully allowed by the rules"? If they test positive, even if it's a "private" test, they have to notify the health authorities in Italy (or wherever they are) and isolate!

Again, that's not the rule. If you are positive, you have to isolate for at least 10 days.

Depending on where you are in Europe, the local healthcare authorities might have hotels to host you during your mandated isolation.
It is allowed in in the sense that there is no active lying on any legal forms etc. You book a flight to Mexico, the checkin agent at the airport will not actively ask you for a test result so you will not explicitly be lying to get caught.

Similar to lots of things that are allowed due to no enforcement mechanisms. I shouldn't have said "fully allowed", you are right there.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.